Sponsored by:

[Z06] Tires - Beating a Dead Horse...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:03 AM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddie O
I'm gonna replace my stock Goodyears that are now 14 years old (still w/good tread) with some stock sized Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports. $842 mounted, balanced w/old tires disposed of. I've had great luck with Bridgestones in the past, and the price is right. How much better performance would I get spending double for Michelins really?
I was ready to do the same, but according to people in this thread, you can run 245/45/17 in the front which means you can run the Continental DW for the same price as the Bridgestone tires, or get the PSS for about $200 more.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Impulsive goat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I may be missing something but why not the PSS in 245/40zr17 for the front?
Old 03-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Daddie O
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
I was ready to do the same, but according to people in this thread, you can run 245/45/17 in the front which means you can run the Continental DW for the same price as the Bridgestone tires, or get the PSS for about $200 more.

What is the advantage of running a narrower taller tire? It may fit, but won't it detrimentally affect handling?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:32 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Impulsive goat
I may be missing something but why not the PSS in 245/40zr17 for the front?
It's even shorter than a 255/40-17, while the 245/45 is about the same overall height as the 275/40-17 everybody runs

You could run either one without a problem, but you might notice a larger fender gap with the shorter tire since it's over half an inch shorter than OEM, while the 245/45 is only a quarter inch taller or so

I'm gonna replace my stock Goodyears that are now 14 years old (still w/good tread) with some stock sized Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports. $842 mounted, balanced w/old tires disposed of. I've had great luck with Bridgestones in the past, and the price is right. How much better performance would I get spending double for Michelins really?
There are lots of tires that perform as well as the PS2 these days; I wouldn't even bother with those, especially at $1600 a set. The PSS, on the other hand, is a stellar tire at only $200 more, not double.

What is the advantage of running a narrower taller tire? It may fit, but won't it detrimentally affect handling?
It's the same height as the 275/40-17 everybody runs without a problem and has better compounds than most 255s and 265s people run... it would handle just fine

If the width really bothers you or you need more bite, you should swap the front wheels for a second set of rears and run 265/35-18F|295/35-18R PSSs
Old 03-22-2015, 01:30 AM
Daddie O
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjwz28
It's even shorter than a 255/40-17, while the 245/45 is about the same overall height as the 275/40-17 everybody runs

You could run either one without a problem, but you might notice a larger fender gap with the shorter tire since it's over half an inch shorter than OEM, while the 245/45 is only a quarter inch taller or so

There are lots of tires that perform as well as the PS2 these days; I wouldn't even bother with those, especially at $1600 a set. The PSS, on the other hand, is a stellar tire at only $200 more, not double.

It's the same height as the 275/40-17 everybody runs without a problem and has better compounds than most 255s and 265s people run... it would handle just fine

If the width really bothers you or you need more bite, you should swap the front wheels for a second set of rears and run 265/35-18F|295/35-18R PSSs
Width doesn't bother me, I use stock sizes and they work great.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:24 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Width doesn't bother me, I use stock sizes and they work great.
Yes, but the stock sizes aren't available in most modern tire lines, hence this conversation. If modern summer performance tires were available in stock sizes, there wouldn't be 10+ threads a week (between C5Z and C5 Gen) asking which tire to run. The RE760 finished fourth in this test of tires (http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests) several years ago with the benchmark being the Michelin PS2 mentioned above, and every tire in that test is not only outdated (the Hankook has been updated to new modern compounds) but also would be put to shame by every tire in this test (http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test), which the Michelin PSS won. In order to run these modern tires on the Z06, the user must run different sizes. Tire compound is more important than tire width, as evidenced by the higher performance seen by autocrossers switching from NT05s (in 275F|295R) to Hankook R-S3s (255F|285R).
Old 03-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Daddie O
Instructor

Potenzas 4th overall isn't bad, especially for the price. Considering how I use my Z06 they rank even higher.

I do some spirited driving, not quite autocross but, "Right behind the two dry-track animals—the Kumhos and the Dunlops—were the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports, snagging the third-best lap time on the autocross course. "

and

"This soothing high-performance tire was tops in the subjective drive loop, tangibly calmer than any of the others, and tied the Hankooks and the Yokohamas for least interior noise."

Seems like pretty high praise according to the articles you posted. Thanks, I feel more confident in my upcoming purchase now.

A couple statements I notice about the tires in the second article you quoted were, "The tires, all size 225/45R-17, hail from the summer-performance category, specifically the max- and extreme-performance subsets. Max-performance tires shift the balance of wet and dry performance that is baked into ultra-high-performance (UHP) summer tires toward the dry, with less optimization for ride and noise. Extreme-performance tires go a step further: They offer the best dry-road performance available for the street. A rainy day won’t sideline a car on extremes, but as a group they are not designed around comfort requirements such as ride and noise."

More money for a shorter lasting, noisier, less comfortable tire? I can see that if you are autocrossing on summer days. To each their own.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Potenzas 4th overall isn't bad, especially for the price. Considering how I use my Z06 they rank even higher.

I do some spirited driving, not quite autocross but, "Right behind the two dry-track animals—the Kumhos and the Dunlops—were the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports, snagging the third-best lap time on the autocross course. "

and

"This soothing high-performance tire was tops in the subjective drive loop, tangibly calmer than any of the others, and tied the Hankooks and the Yokohamas for least interior noise."

Seems like pretty high praise according to the articles you posted. Thanks, I feel more confident in my upcoming purchase now.

A couple statements I notice about the tires in the second article you quoted were, "The tires, all size 225/45R-17, hail from the summer-performance category, specifically the max- and extreme-performance subsets. Max-performance tires shift the balance of wet and dry performance that is baked into ultra-high-performance (UHP) summer tires toward the dry, with less optimization for ride and noise. Extreme-performance tires go a step further: They offer the best dry-road performance available for the street. A rainy day won’t sideline a car on extremes, but as a group they are not designed around comfort requirements such as ride and noise."

More money for a shorter lasting, noisier, less comfortable tire? I can see that if you are autocrossing on summer days. To each their own.
I agree except on one point: the Michelin Pilot Super Sport we were referring to beats every tire in the other test, wet or dry. That's why it's so popular and why guys are willing to go a bit narrower to run it
Old 03-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

If you can stand a smoother ride, a quite ride, and better handling in all weather (except snow) get the Conti DW's ether 275 or 255 fronts with 295s on the rear. And the price is right.

Mark
Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Tire compound is more important than tire width,
Old 03-24-2015, 09:36 AM
JLZ06TR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt the PSS would be as good as the RS3 at any given size. OP from what your are saying on how often you drive the car and your power level the RS3 is probably your best bet performance wise. In wet they will be decent enough but you wouldn't want to push them, and if you drive in freezing temps then even the pss would be in trouble as alot of C7Z guys have experienced cracking.

RS3 is the way to go.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto One
If you can stand a smoother ride, a quite ride, and better handling in all weather (except snow) get the Conti DW's ether 275 or 255 fronts with 295s on the rear. And the price is right.

Mark
You can run the conti DW's in 275/40/17 and 295/35/18?

Do they offer a 305/35/18?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:33 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
You can run the conti DW's in 275/40/17 and 295/35/18?

Sure, why not?

Most summer tires aren't available in 305/35-18... that size is only common among R-comp tires like the R888, competition slicks like the A6/R6 or drag radials
Old 03-25-2015, 01:19 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

NO. I just bought a set of Conti DW for my DD, and so far, they're great, but 295's as wide as they go in 18".
Old 03-25-2015, 04:28 PM
fat rat 56
Heel & Toe

Is anyone running Nitto NT05's, if so could you provide some feedback.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:50 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I am going to run 255/40/17 and 295/35/18 in the conti DW on stock rims .
Old 03-25-2015, 11:05 PM
nwolkonsky
Intermediate

Default Where are the Pilot Sports?

It is March 25th 2015 and I am shopping for Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. I drive a 2001 Z06 OEM mags that currently have Good Year eagles on them. I want some pilot sports!

I have called Michelin headquarters, gone to Discount tires, called Tire Rack, and to Walker Chevrolet here in Franklin TN. No luck they say they are discontinued for my vehicle. I don't have a run flat system on my vehicle.

The eagles don't have that "stickyness" to them and the rear of the car torques right when I gas it.

What is the second best tire that will fit my car?
or
What is the secret for buying the Michelin pilot sport 2 tires?
or
Am I doing something wrong? I am shopping for P245/45zr-17 front,
P275/40zr-18 rear.

I am a novice to auto cross and tire shopping for performance tires.

I plan to do a little slow speed auto cross with the Nashville Corvette Club. Perhaps some Corvette Museum speedway events, participate in club events in fair weather unless assaulted by a rain cloud.

Any help is appreciated as to finding an alternative tire that will aid in my performance and safety.

Many thanks,
Martha C. Wolkonsky

Get notified of new replies

To Tires - Beating a Dead Horse...

Old 03-26-2015, 12:07 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by nwolkonsky
It is March 25th 2015 and I am shopping for Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. I drive a 2001 Z06 OEM mags that currently have Good Year eagles on them. I want some pilot sports!

I have called Michelin headquarters, gone to Discount tires, called Tire Rack, and to Walker Chevrolet here in Franklin TN. No luck they say they are discontinued for my vehicle. I don't have a run flat system on my vehicle.

The eagles don't have that "stickyness" to them and the rear of the car torques right when I gas it.

or
or
P275/40zr-18 rear.

I plan to do a little slow speed auto cross with the Nashville Corvette Club. Perhaps some Corvette Museum speedway events, participate in club events in fair weather unless assaulted by a rain cloud.

Any help is appreciated as to finding an alternative tire that will aid in my performance and safety.

Many thanks,
Martha C. Wolkonsky
Haha is this real? Those tires sizes are wrong to begin with
Old 03-26-2015, 12:09 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by nwolkonsky

or
or
P275/40zr-18 rear.

Many thanks,
Martha C. Wolkonsky
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is available from TireRack.com in those sizes. They are better AND less expensive than the PS2 you mentioned (which was replaced by the PSS in the Michelin lineup)

I would recommend running 295/35-18s out back, not 275/40s
Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 AM
nwolkonsky
Intermediate

I'm working off of the Michelin pamphlet that came with the original paperwork for car as a recommended tire. Please explain how it's wrong.

Haha is this real? Those tires sizes are wrong to begin with

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tires - Beating a Dead Horse...