[Z06] Tires - Beating a Dead Horse...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:34 PM
nwolkonsky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running this tire up front.

Originally Posted by racebum
265 40 17 and 295 35 18 are unavailable. guys have cheesed with 315 30 18 out back and 275 40 17 in front but the rear winds up being short vs the front.

if you're going to run offsize the rs3 in 255 40 17 and 285 35 18 has proven to be the fast street combo
Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

that's an OE f1 supercar. really hope those aren't original. that compound went to hell in about 2 years. did not age well

if you want that exact fit your only option is the michelin pilot sport 2, or, you could get another set of those but that tire is very very poor after a couple years of age, also extremely bad in the rain. that tire did perform well when new and in the dry, heat cycles just killed it much faster than the ps2

they are available in 265 40 17 and 295 35 18

Last edited by racebum; 03-27-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 PM
nwolkonsky
Intermediate

And hence the long thread of tire shopping. However, I did run the tires by Discount Tires and they are fine, in date and safe enough to blow off at the track and roll around on until the new ones come or I have to choose another alternative if my order does not come through. It seems that any model performance tire is in great demand right now. At least for the local dealerships I have visited. Y'all have generated some excellent ideas for plan b, c, and D.

that's an OE f1 supercar. really hope those aren't original. that compound went to hell in about 2 years. did not age well

if you want that exact fit your only option is the michelin pilot sport 2, or, you could get another set of those but that tire is very very poor after a couple years of age, also extremely bad in the rain. that tire did perform well when new and in the dry, heat cycles just killed it much faster than the ps2

Old 03-27-2015, 08:20 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by nwolkonsky
And hence the long thread of tire shopping. However, I did run the tires by Discount Tires and they are fine, in date and safe enough to blow off at the track and roll around on until the new ones come or I have to choose another alternative if my order does not come through. It seems that any model performance tire is in great demand right now. At least for the local dealerships I have visited. Y'all have generated some excellent ideas for plan b, c, and D.
it's because of the time of year. most performance tires are made feb-mar-apr and sold summer. right now the production is up but they haven't hit the shelf yet.

if you're on stock wheels and want exact fit the ps2 is the only real choice. i would however consider the rs3 if you like to drive hot and can handle the large tread blocks along with 255/285 sizing. they will be faster than a ps2 in the dry.

tires under 6 years old are generally "safe" to drive but that supercar specifically is REALLY down on traction after year two. you can try drag racing them but you will probably be spinning going into 2nd and 3rd. be careful

discount is a great tire store and almost never carries tires past 12months old which is what you want. traction starts to fall off nearly from the day the tires comes off the mold. some tires age much better than others too. michelin specifically has a couple compounds that are still quite good at 3-4 years old.

Last edited by racebum; 03-27-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:39 AM
z06_tim
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the vid in your previous post. Very interesting.

Would you not consider mounting the Michelin PSS on the rear axle, and PS2 on the front axle, preserving the OE tire sizes? I would have thought the gain with the more advanced newer PSS outweighs the non-matched front axle.

I know of someone in the UK that has done this on a regular C5, again in OE sizes, and because of non-availability of PSS at the front.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:01 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by z06_tim
Thanks for the vid in your previous post. Very interesting.

Would you not consider mounting the Michelin PSS on the rear axle, and PS2 on the front axle, preserving the OE tire sizes? I would have thought the gain with the more advanced newer PSS outweighs the non-matched front axle.

I know of someone in the UK that has done this on a regular C5, again in OE sizes, and because of non-availability of PSS at the front.
nope nope nope. tires behave differently. you can do it but you're likely to have a bit more traction out back AND a different response in the tires. that last part can be really unsettling mid corner when the tires give you different feedback. i would go ps2 on all 4 corners if you stay on stock wheels, or, go rs3 in 285/255

if you had money to burn you could try the ps2 and pss combo but mismatched tires can give a guy surprises. casing is wildly different and so is the compound. it might feel fine, might not, would not try it with my own money. if it's off you're buying 2 more tires to match one or the other
Old 03-28-2015, 07:28 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

nope nope nope. tires behave differently.
Tires 101 for any car, street driven or raced, is same kind of tire on all corners. Drag racing would be the exception as handling isn't much of a concern. But for ANY other kind of driving, keep 'em the same.

Have others mixed and matched and gotten away with it? Yes. Doesn't mean it was/is a good idea. There are others who mixed and matched and didn't get away with it.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:23 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

nope nope nope. tires behave differently. you can do it but you're likely to have a bit more traction out back AND a different response in the tires. that last part can be really unsettling mid corner when the tires give you different feedback. i would go ps2 on all 4 corners if you stay on stock wheels, or, go rs3 in 285/255

if you had money to burn you could try the ps2 and pss combo but mismatched tires can give a guy surprises. casing is wildly different and so is the compound. it might feel fine, might not, would not try it with my own money. if it's off you're buying 2 more tires to match one or the other
R-S3 in 255/285 or PSS (either 245/45-17 up front or 4x 18 with 265/35F|295/35R)

Those who disagree with the 245/45: it will be better than running a 265 PS2 up front with a 295 PSS out back

The PS2 is too expensive now for what you get, IMHO; for what you'd spend on PS2s in OE sizes, you could get a second set of rear wheels for the front and run the better PSS in the 4x 18 sizes I mentioned (and be future-proofed for your next set of tires)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:36 AM
nwolkonsky
Intermediate

Default Tire madness

Dear Racebum,

I'm waiting for the recommended by Chevrolet PS2 tires and they are ordered. I ran the old tires in low speed auto cross as it was the first time for such an event. I had a blast, did ok but also observed and was advised on tires for my vehicle. Most people said get what fits your car and roll stock. That's my plan anyway. So for now I wait! Watching others roll their Corvettes over the weekend was really fun! Thanks for the common sense advise.

Sincerely,
Martha

it's because of the time of year. most performance tires are made feb-mar-apr and sold summer. right now the production is up but they haven't hit the shelf yet.

if you're on stock wheels and want exact fit the ps2 is the only real choice. i would however consider the rs3 if you like to drive hot and can handle the large tread blocks along with 255/285 sizing. they will be faster than a ps2 in the dry.

tires under 6 years old are generally "safe" to drive but that supercar specifically is REALLY down on traction after year two. you can try drag racing them but you will probably be spinning going into 2nd and 3rd. be careful

discount is a great tire store and almost never carries tires past 12months old which is what you want. traction starts to fall off nearly from the day the tires comes off the mold. some tires age much better than others too. michelin specifically has a couple compounds that are still quite good at 3-4 years old.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Daddie O
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got Bridgestone Potenza RE760's in stock sizes from Discount Tire for $772 installed (after rebate). They are real quiet and super grippy. Granted I am not tracking my car, but for the street they are pretty amazing. Our cars were designed for use with stock size tires.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddie O
I just got Bridgestone Potenza RE760's in stock sizes from Discount Tire for $772 installed (after rebate). They are real quiet and super grippy. Granted I am not tracking my car, but for the street they are pretty amazing. Our cars were designed for use with stock size tires.
Designed for use w/ stock brakes, stock exhaust manifolds, and stock shifter too...doesn't mean they won't perform better w/ different type or size!
Old 04-03-2015, 04:38 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
Designed for use w/ stock brakes, stock exhaust manifolds, and stock shifter too...doesn't mean they won't perform better w/ different type or size!

The car was designed for stock tire compounds as well... you're welcome to pay $1650 for a set of the outdated OEM Goodyear F1 Supercars that came on the car when it was new (they still make and sell those, you know)
Old 04-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Blue LS1-LT1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjwz28

The car was designed for stock tire compounds as well... you're welcome to pay $1650 for a set of the outdated OEM Goodyear F1 Supercars that came on the car when it was new (they still make and sell those, you know)
Touche.

Also designed with a climate control display that goes dark until removed and cold soldered.

...And seats that move on their rails; with seat bolsters who's bladder bags rupture
Old 04-04-2015, 09:44 AM
z06_tim
Heel & Toe

Anyone tried contacting Michelin to see if they have plans to make the PSS in 265/40/17 for our cars?

I would have thought there would be quite a bit of profit in potentially supplying the thousands of cars there must still be on the roads.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Blue LS1-LT1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z06_tim
Anyone tried contacting Michelin to see if they have plans to make the PSS in 265/40/17 for our cars?

I would have thought there would be quite a bit of profit in potentially supplying the thousands of cars there must still be on the roads.
Profit depends on many variables, as you know. One primary question is, how big is the 265/40/17 wheel market today, and long term, versus deploying their resources to other sizes, development, etc...
Old 04-04-2015, 12:24 PM
z06_tim
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Blue LS1-LT1
Profit depends on many variables, as you know. One primary question is, how big is the 265/40/17 wheel market today, and long term, versus deploying their resources to other sizes, development, etc...
Yes. But there will be break even point and i wonder what that might be.

The fact there are so few matched sets of tires out there for our cars, and the rear PSS tire already existing. I would reckon they would have a captive market.

Remember nearly 30,000 C5Z's were built. Say they only sold 10,000 pairs of tires over the life of the tools. I'd be happy to pay $300/tire. That's $6M!
Old 04-04-2015, 03:06 PM
nwolkonsky
Intermediate

Well I ran them on the track march 28,29 and they were safe but not sticky. I really dislike the tire as it was hard to even shed some rubber. Not that I'm a track expert but more like being novice I should have shed rubber not making perfect apexes etc.

Originally Posted by Blue LS1-LT1
Touche.

Also designed with a climate control display that goes dark until removed and cold soldered.

...And seats that move on their rails; with seat bolsters who's bladder bags rupture

Get notified of new replies

To Tires - Beating a Dead Horse...

Old 04-04-2015, 03:15 PM
nwolkonsky
Intermediate

I have ordered the PS2 tires for my car with a 6 week waiting period. I like how they corner as I plan to do more low speed auto cross. The Eagles don't give that sticky traction even for a novice performance such as the one I gave the Eagles last weekend. I really tried to burn some rubber and failed! LOL! I did look at other corvettes my year and saw what they had on them. All the dealerships and enthusiasts who like speed recommend the Michelin Super Sport on up depending what they want out of the tires. But now after doing 14 runs I have further questions! HA!

Old 04-04-2015, 07:44 PM
racebum
Race Director

the real question i have always wondered is why the ps2 was not OE on the c5z. the supercar was only competitive with it when it was brand new. after a very short period of time the traction on a supercar goes to hell. this is why in mags, numbers on the supercar look good. when they are brand new, they work in the warm dry. what mags don't show is what happens 6 months later

and that's not even counting how much more feedback the ps2 gives a person and how much easier it is to drive at the limit.

ps2 is a great tire really. getting a bit old but still a great street tire
Old 04-05-2015, 02:53 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

the real question i have always wondered is why the ps2 was not OE on the c5z. the supercar was only competitive with it when it was brand new. after a very short period of time the traction on a supercar goes to hell. this is why in mags, numbers on the supercar look good. when they are brand new, they work in the warm dry. what mags don't show is what happens 6 months later

and that's not even counting how much more feedback the ps2 gives a person and how much easier it is to drive at the limit.

ps2 is a great tire really. getting a bit old but still a great street tire
GM stuck very tightly with Goodyear in those days... they were nearly (if not completely) the exclusive supplier of OEM rubber for GM. The Eagle F1 Supercar was developed by Goodyear SPECIFICALLY for this application because they didn't have a sufficient tire in their lineup and GM wouldn't (or contractually couldn't) source from somebody else

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tires - Beating a Dead Horse...