Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Brake Replacement for Daily Driver and "Spirited" Driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I have the Ferodo 2500's on my car. They do need to warm up a bit to get the best of them and they will squeek under 40 degrees outside until they warm up, but they stop well, handle heat pretty well. 35 back to back to back autocross laps with 2 different drivers and they stopped as well at the last as they did at the first.

Very, very ... very dusty though, if that's a concern. Doesn't bother me, a little Sonax a brush, and a hose cleans the wheels right up. YMMV.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:38 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
the best you have is some guys opinion?

LOL

do you guys even test brah....
Old 04-01-2015, 12:09 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Several times now I have posted my opinion that the Stoptech "Street Performance" pads are an excellent choice for both street (because they have good performance when cold), and for light track usage (on easy braking tracks like MSR Cresson or TWS) because they have a high temperature limit of 1300 degrees F, which is impressive for a street pad. And...........they are CHEAP (Check Amazon)! I would NOT recommend these street pads for usage at CoTA because sudden catastrophic brake failure at turns 1, 11, or 12 could be, well....catastrophic! (leaving you with a car 4 feet long, and you still inside). I would NOT use them at Road America or Eagles Canyon, all of which are hard braking tracks. I just get tired of posting, and I have NO interest in Stoptech or any other pad manufacturer.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:28 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the stoptech street performance pads too for street/autox with no complaints. No reason to get anything else IMO besides for track use (I just swap to actual track pads).

I did try the cheapo Wagner semi-metallics from rockauto briefly too and they were decent-ish but not great. I'd spend the extra $50 on stoptechs. I keep them around as a backup set in case I need something and can't wait for shipping.

For rotors I'd go up from the c-tek to centric premiums IMO. Forum vendor KNS brakes has what is the best budget combo in my opinion:

http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-serie...nce+Brake+Pads

Last edited by troyguitar; 04-01-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Hawk Ceramic pads, Clean, and progressive in stoping (just my experience), The will turn in to dust monsters if over cooked...and wear rapidly there after... But for the street and an autocross every month they worked for me. They are not cheep. I also have been using the DBA T3 slot rotors (one set rotors,5 sets of pads over five + years) with 2 Hawk Ceramic sets and One HPS, just this year, to many track days over the last year. New rotors coming this month though.

Mark

Mark
Old 04-01-2015, 03:47 PM
racebum
Race Director

you know i also had the stoptechs for awhile and went back to stock...like real z06 stock. the stock pads dust a bit more but the initial bite is quite a bit better. the stoptechs are a great pad for someone looking for a low dust pad that won't go to hell when it's hot. very linear pad too, especially for how cheap they are

they just aren't a pad that really hits very hard
Old 04-03-2015, 11:32 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
you know i also had the stoptechs for awhile and went back to stock...like real z06 stock. the stock pads dust a bit more but the initial bite is quite a bit better. the stoptechs are a great pad for someone looking for a low dust pad that won't go to hell when it's hot. very linear pad too, especially for how cheap they are

they just aren't a pad that really hits very hard
I recommend Pagid "BLUE" pads if you want a pad which "hits really hard" when cold, yet works fine at higher temps also. OE on GT3 and F458.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:26 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm a fan of the Ferodo DS2500. I just put them on the car and I couldn't be happier with the pedal feel and modulation they provide.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:37 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by chetly
I'm a fan of the Ferodo DS2500. I just put them on the car and I couldn't be happier with the pedal feel and modulation they provide.
always an awesome street compound. what was current pricing anyway? i haven't looked at the ds2500 in quite awhile for any car. wonderful pad, just expensive
Old 04-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Here is where I get mine. They are a forum vendor.

http://www.essexparts.com/shop/brake-pads/fcp1553h.html
http://www.essexparts.com/shop/brake-pads/fcp1563h.html
Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I got them from Essex also, so the prices you see are the prices I paid. I had the Hawk HPS 5.0's on the car previous and these are day and night better. I'm fairly certain I'll be staying with these pads unless they make some compound change.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Brake Replacement for Daily Driver and "Spirited" Driving