Sponsored by:

[Z06] Catless X Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:47 PM
stilambo07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Catless X Pipe

Im torn between the corsa or borla. I like loud and want to make power out of going catless w a retune. The corsa is $100 more so price not really a problem between these two. I have kooks headers and a ghl exhaust. Any help and opinions?
Old 03-28-2015, 12:05 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Removing the cats will make it louder and smell. From what I know you might gain 5HP, maybe a bit more if you're FI or bigger cubes.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:37 AM
stilambo07
Racer

Originally Posted by grantv
Removing the cats will make it louder and smell. From what I know you might gain 5HP, maybe a bit more if you're FI or bigger cubes.
Yes i know this. And I am on a built motor. Just hoping someone can chime in on the two options i was looking in to
Old 03-28-2015, 12:43 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

did your longtubes not come with an x-pipe already?... if not I would probably get in contact with kooks and buy theirs as it will likely be an easier install than mixing up brands with a different x-pipe... if you already have an x-pipe with cats in them it may not be worth the money to switch , or you could always hollow out the ones on your car... are you n/a or boosted?... on an n/a car you will likely only pick up a few hp by removing the cats, on a boosted application I would recommend removing them due to less restriction and since boosted cars tend to run richer at wot they will burn the cats out fairly quick anyway

Last edited by neutron82; 03-28-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:51 AM
stilambo07
Racer

Originally Posted by neutron82
did your longtubes not come with an x-pipe already?... if not I would probably get in contact with kooks and buy theirs as it will likely be an easier install than mixing up brands with a different x-pipe... if you already have an x-pipe with cats in them it may not be worth the money to switch , or you could always hollow out the ones on your car... are you n/a or boosted?... on an n/a car you will likely only pick up a few hp by removing the cats, on a boosted application I would recommend removing them due to less restriction and since boosted cars tend to run richer at wot they will burn the cats out fairly quick anyway
I do have the kooks xpipe that came with the car. Before purchase i wanted a catless system...even for sound alone it does it for me, regardless i want to go in for a retune since who knows how old this tune is.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:20 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I would just pull the x-pipe and hollow the cats out instead of buying a new one, saves you money and still looks like the car has cats for inspection purposes if that matters in your area
Old 03-29-2015, 11:41 PM
stilambo07
Racer

More importantly,..can anyone help if the fitment would be ok with the corsa or borla on to kooks headers? Anyone have this setup?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:23 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stilambo07
More importantly,..can anyone help if the fitment would be ok with the corsa or borla on to kooks headers? Anyone have this setup?
That doesn't even make any sense

Buy the Kooks offroad X-pipe, bolt it in where your catted Kooks X-pipe is, then sell your old one

Make sure you get the one for your headers, since Kooks redesigned their headers not too long ago and I don't know if the X-pipes are the same

Why are you making this complicated? Those standalone X-pipes from Corsa and Borla are designed for guys with stock exhaust manifolds, not longtubes.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 AM
stilambo07
Racer

This is why i am asking the questions!! I just pirchased a Z and am curioua about parts...it came w kooks headers, i can see it enscripted on the top of em. X pipe was told was kooks too but i cant be positive. I know they are catted so want to go catless. I used to have an sti so this car is completely new to me so sorry for the questions.

Here is the bottom of the car

Last edited by stilambo07; 03-30-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:03 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Simple; either get a replacement catless Kooks mid-pipe, have an exhaust shop replace the cats with thru-pipes, or gut the cats in there.
No idea what an sti is; considering your moniker, assuming it's a Lambo.
STI, found what it is, yikes, not a fan. So what is the Lambo about, have one also?

Last edited by grantv; 03-30-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Car info
Old 03-30-2015, 12:39 PM
stilambo07
Racer

Originally Posted by grantv
Simple; either get a replacement catless Kooks mid-pipe, have an exhaust shop replace the cats with thru-pipes, or gut the cats in there.
No idea what an sti is; considering your moniker, assuming it's a Lambo.
STI, found what it is, yikes, not a fan. So what is the Lambo about, have one also?
Haha....yea.i was glad to get in to the vette. Not even looking back at the sti....as for the lambo no just that is what i have wanted since a kid.

Thanks for the advice...that is what i shall do.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:13 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Haha....yea.i was glad to get in to the vette. Not even looking back at the sti....as for the lambo no just that is what i have wanted since a kid.

Yeah, a Lambo would be OK... I guess.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:21 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree w/ swapping out the X pipe for Kooks offroad, you'll be able to sell yours and shouldn't have to come up w/ much extra $$$ to get the offroad X.

STI's are nothing to scoff at, if I didn't need the room a WRX or STI would be my DD vs. the truck I currently drive.

Have you driven an American V8 w/ no cats? Particularly one as short as the C5Z w/ windows so damn close to the exhaust? It WILL smell and it'll smell bad, it won't get you any measurable power until you start getting into FI or bigger motor etc., I know...I've done it before.

Just making sure you know what you're getting into - gonna get headaches from the fumes @ stoplights
Old 03-30-2015, 01:31 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I still don't see why you don't just take your x-pipe off and hollow the cats out, it will cost you nothing... much easier than spending a few hundred bucks on a new x-pipe and going through the hassle of selling the old one for less than what the new one costs, just doesn't seem practical to me
Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
I agree w/ swapping out the X pipe for Kooks offroad, you'll be able to sell yours and shouldn't have to come up w/ much extra $$$ to get the offroad X.

STI's are nothing to scoff at, if I didn't need the room a WRX or STI would be my DD vs. the truck I currently drive.

Have you driven an American V8 w/ no cats? Particularly one as short as the C5Z w/ windows so damn close to the exhaust? It WILL smell and it'll smell bad, it won't get you any measurable power until you start getting into FI or bigger motor etc., I know...I've done it before.

Just making sure you know what you're getting into - gonna get headaches from the fumes @ stoplights
I mentioned the smell also, upon deaf ears.
As for the STI, I know of their performance possibilities, I just think they're... as nicely as I can say; not attractive for my taste (and not fond of the sound either). My Z06 is my DD; love my drive to work and home every day!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 AM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

edit
Old 04-01-2015, 06:48 AM
stilambo07
Racer

Originally Posted by neutron82
I still don't see why you don't just take your x-pipe off and hollow the cats out, it will cost you nothing... much easier than spending a few hundred bucks on a new x-pipe and going through the hassle of selling the old one for less than what the new one costs, just doesn't seem practical to me
This is what i am gonna do. I assume i would take to a muffler shop to do so?

Get notified of new replies

To Catless X Pipe

Old 04-02-2015, 02:07 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you have the ability to unbolt the pipes you can do it your self with a jack handle or long pry bar or something.. not too hard.. if its a metal cat inside then might need a air chisel or a hole saw.. not hard to do. most muffler shops cant remove or gut out cats legally so might not be able to have it done anywhere.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

This is what i am gonna do. I assume i would take to a muffler shop to do so?
It is illegal in nearly every state to run without cats, so most muffler/exhaust shops aren't going to do that unless a) they're hacks, or b) you know them.

I said before I think its a dumb idea to run without cats - you're not going to gain much if anything, it'll smell like ****, and it can get you a ticket and/or cause you to fail inspection - now, if you STILL want to get rid of that piece, then you either need to take it off and be patient to get it sold and take proceeds to buy a matching/fitting offroad/catless X pipe, or swap it for an offroad X pipe w/ someone who has already learned they're lesson running catless, or lastly unbolt it and bring it to a local scrap yard and get paid cash for it (the cats should be worth $100 or so...realistically tho they're not worth much because they're hi flo low catalyst) and then go buy a matching X pipe.

You could unbolt it and drive without cats OR an X pipe - loud, hot, and smelly as hell and demand some shop fab up an "H" pipe and weld it place where your catted X was.

That'll REALLY make you a neighborhood favorite lol!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:58 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
It is illegal in nearly every state to run without cats, so most muffler/exhaust shops aren't going to do that unless a) they're hacks, or b) you know them.

I said before I think its a dumb idea to run without cats - you're not going to gain much if anything, it'll smell like ****, and it can get you a ticket and/or cause you to fail inspection - now, if you STILL want to get rid of that piece, then you either need to take it off and be patient to get it sold and take proceeds to buy a matching/fitting offroad/catless X pipe, or swap it for an offroad X pipe w/ someone who has already learned they're lesson running catless, or lastly unbolt it and bring it to a local scrap yard and get paid cash for it (the cats should be worth $100 or so...realistically tho they're not worth much because they're hi flo low catalyst) and then go buy a matching X pipe.

You could unbolt it and drive without cats OR an X pipe - loud, hot, and smelly as hell and demand some shop fab up an "H" pipe and weld it place where your catted X was.

That'll REALLY make you a neighborhood favorite lol!
You can sell the high-flow X pretty easily and should be able to get about enough to buy the ORX

I looked into it for a couple minutes at one point

If it fits the new-style Kooks headers, buying his used pipe could save somebody else a few hundred dollars on their header install

Quick Reply: [Z06] Catless X Pipe