Sponsored by:

[Z06] Corvette C5 Z06 Performance at High Altitude

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:03 AM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by grandotitat
Wow man, that is amazing. I mean, those 60ft are reserved here for dedicated race cars or AWDs. Next time I'll check the tire pressure and see how that helps. Now I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
tires. The thread wear on those is 340 which I think is not positive for traction.

Continental DW's are a 340 tread wear too. That is what completely surprised me when I broke into the sub 1.8 60'. I thought there was no way a tire that hard would have sufficient stickiness. It took a series of passes with 2nd gear burnouts to build the heat required to hook. I'm fairly confident that's the limit of this particular tire. I haven't tried anything lower than 25 psi.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:19 AM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Trash
Continental DW's are a 340 tread wear too. That is what completely surprised me when I broke into the sub 1.8 60'. I thought there was no way a tire that hard would have sufficient stickiness. It took a series of passes with 2nd gear burnouts to build the heat required to hook. I'm fairly confident that's the limit of this particular tire. I haven't tried anything lower than 25 psi.
Youd be surprised what a cheaper Tire with a softer sidewall then all these "Handling tires" with do.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Trash
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny wangwang
Youd be surprised what a cheaper Tire with a softer sidewall then all these "Handling tires" with do.
I have no doubt there are better tires, including drag radials. However I don't want to spend the money on a second set of tires only to have them take up space AND I want to see what the car will do with these tires in stock trim. Once I get a solid baseline I may start tinkering.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 AM
grandotitat
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will take advantage of this thread to post a new story for me. The first drag strip experience on a track at sea level. The car was overwhelming. However I was dealing there with the fuel quality. I purchased 5 gallons of our best pump fuel which is 91 RON - 87 AKI, combined with a can of Dragon additive which was supposed to give a 104 octane fuel. The result was not good. I had the HP Tuners tool to check timing advance, and it turned out the car was pulling 9 degrees in various rpm ranges! Fortunately I had a can of Sunoco 260 GT Plus Unleaded fuel which was 104 AKI - 110 RON and that made the difference. No more timing pull and the car was running hard.

However my best pass was 13.089 and I wasn't able to get into the 12s. I think my main problem was traction as i never managed to get a better than 2.3 60FT. My tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE 370 and they have like 30% of life left. I launched the car as recommended here in the forum (Competitive Driving mode, 2000 rpm launch, no WOT until full traction, rear tires at 22psi, front tires at 41 psi).

But my main concern is shown in the following video. If you pay attention, when I shift into fourth gear, i cannot tell if what i get there is a slipping clutch or the TCS engaging. As i was in competitive driving mode, the DIC will not show a message when the TCS is engaging. I understand the competitive mode will still keep the TCS active in a less intrusive fashion. Besides, the clutch was not slipping in other gears.

I wasn't able to do another pass with the TCS off to check on that.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Competition mode means your traction control is turned off. Looking at your best pass with the 13.08 and the fact that your 60ft is still a 2.3. Your car is running just fine. You just need to work on launching the car.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:30 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Does your clutch pedal feel stiff after a run? You may need a clutch upgrade. Don't get a stock replacement, BTW. At the very least, research "Ranger method" for flushing/replacing your clutch fluid. Didn't do me any good, but my motor is modded.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Trash
Racer

I will take advantage of this thread to post a new story for me. The first drag strip experience on a track at sea level. The car was overwhelming. However I was dealing there with the fuel quality. I purchased 5 gallons of our best pump fuel which is 91 RON - 87 AKI, combined with a can of Dragon additive which was supposed to give a 104 octane fuel. The result was not good. I had the HP Tuners tool to check timing advance, and it turned out the car was pulling 9 degrees in various rpm ranges! Fortunately I had a can of Sunoco 260 GT Plus Unleaded fuel which was 104 AKI - 110 RON and that made the difference. No more timing pull and the car was running hard.

However my best pass was 13.089 and I wasn't able to get into the 12s. I think my main problem was traction as i never managed to get a better than 2.3 60FT. My tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE 370 and they have like 30% of life left. I launched the car as recommended here in the forum (Competitive Driving mode, 2000 rpm launch, no WOT until full traction, rear tires at 22psi, front tires at 41 psi).

But my main concern is shown in the following video. If you pay attention, when I shift into fourth gear, i cannot tell if what i get there is a slipping clutch or the TCS engaging. As i was in competitive driving mode, the DIC will not show a message when the TCS is engaging. I understand the competitive mode will still keep the TCS active in a less intrusive fashion. Besides, the clutch was not slipping in other gears.

I wasn't able to do another pass with the TCS off to check on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9KmqrS4j_A
Thanks for the video as it highlights some things, in my estimation, would be worthwhile doing.

1) If you shave .3 off your 60' time you'd be at a 12.7x or better. You should be able to get a better 60' but the tires may be holding you back.

2) You need more burnout for heat in the tires. You spun off the line and in 2nd gear which killed your ET. Try 2nd gear for a good 7-10 seconds. You may not need that much for subsequent runs, but at least for the initial burnout. 2nd gear will increase the wheel speed heating the tires up quicker.

3) I could not tell what your left (clutch) foot was doing but the clutch appears to slip (slow engage) on the 2-3 and especially the 3-4 shift. That is killing your ET as well. You may have a clutch fluid / heat issue or your clutch is failing.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:37 PM
grandotitat
Advanced

Thanks for the opinions. The clutch feels the same after a run. I will do the fluid change to see if that helps.

And as for the burnout, how do I avoid the car from running away while i heat the tires for 8 secs? I mean, is it possible to break just the front tires? I know ATs are able to do that in some way but what about MT?
Old 02-03-2016, 03:55 PM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the opinions. The clutch feels the same after a run. I will do the fluid change to see if that helps.

And as for the burnout, how do I avoid the car from running away while i heat the tires for 8 secs? I mean, is it possible to break just the front tires? I know ATs are able to do that in some way but what about MT?
Get the back tires wet in the water box, then roll forward a few feet, put the shifter into 2nd gear bring the rpm up to 4000 or so, let the clutch out and then put your left foot onto the brake pedal just hard enough to stop your forward motion then regulate the throttle with your right foot to keep the tires spinning for as long as it takes to get a good amount of smoke coming off the tires. Usually takes me around 8-10 seconds to get my ET Streets hot enough. Hope this helps.

Jimbo
The following users liked this post:
grandotitat (02-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Drag radials and street tires are different guys. If he does a big burnout like that then the tires will prob just get greasy.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:34 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Actually your numbers are right on par for a purely stock Z06.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Trash
Racer

Originally Posted by ZZOOM06
Get the back tires wet in the water box, then roll forward a few feet, put the shifter into 2nd gear bring the rpm up to 4000 or so, let the clutch out and then put your left foot onto the brake pedal just hard enough to stop your forward motion then regulate the throttle with your right foot to keep the tires spinning for as long as it takes to get a good amount of smoke coming off the tires. Usually takes me around 8-10 seconds to get my ET Streets hot enough. Hope this helps.

Jimbo
Concur.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Trash
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny wangwang
Drag radials and street tires are different guys. If he does a big burnout like that then the tires will prob just get greasy.
True on the difference between street tires and drag radials. I'm talking street tires, specifically Conti DWs which have a high tread wear rating. It took a lot for them on initial burnouts to get sticky. His may need more or less time.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Trash
Racer

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Actually your numbers are right on par for a purely stock Z06.
He's got more left. The 60' time reduction to a 2.00 alone would put him near a 12.7x. Most magazines and other reports have the car at a 12.4 to 12.5 sec @ 114-116 mph.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Also, get the revs where you want them and then load the car on the launch. You will be able to feel when the tires grip once you get used to doing that. Dont try to feather it or dump the clutch. Our OEM clutches dont feather well. Ive gotten my best results that way and can pull a 1.9 60ft on street tires. It looks like your trying to ride the spin after you launch. Practice letting the clutch out, and right at the exact moment you feel the car grip THEN floor it. Not before. Basically what your doing is spinning first out of the hole, riding through the spin and then shifting hard into second while your still spinning. It feels fun when you do it that way. But if you had an equal driver in the same car beside you thats where they would start to walk away from you.

And the 3rd to 4th shift does sound like it slipped.

Last edited by Johnny wangwang; 02-03-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:03 PM
grandotitat
Advanced

Thank you all for the opinions! Very useful.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Corvette C5 Z06 Performance at High Altitude