Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Stance Coilovers v LG GT2 Coilovers (suspension dudes please)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 12:46 PM
bizzmeister
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Stance Coilovers v LG GT2 Coilovers (suspension dudes please)

Hey everyone,

So im about to finish up my setup and I need to make my final decision on what set im going to go with. I have a good idea but I just wanted other coilover setup owners to chime in. JUST FYI: Wont be doing hardcore road racing or drag racing, maybe 2-3 times a year, maybe more. Looking for a set under $2000.

======================================== ===

http://www.stance-usa.com/main/produ...s/super-sport/

(only model able for the vette is the entry model known as the 'super sport')

The Stance Coilovers brand are mainly known among the import crowd and are Korean made. Apparently very good for the money, you can snag a set for the C5Z for about $1180 shipped to your door brand new. From what I understand, they can get rebuilt here in the US too. They come built with spring rates @ 7k/10k.

The Good: Looks like a high quality set for the money. Known among the import crowd to be a decent coilover setup. The price is great for a full set brand new. They have race winning cars on these setups in Japan.

The Bad: Not very known as a company. The users on here probably have never heard of them. After a quick search on them, I saw a few people had this setup on their c5's but all threads are old. Nothing recent that I could find. Another thing that concerned me was the fact that a saw a few people mention that they can be annoyingly 'audible' at slow speeds over bumps and what not. Not sure what that means or how bad it really is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...coilovers.html ( don't mind retail price, just for reference )

The LG GT2 coilovers are about $1800 shipped to your door brand new. After doing some research looks like a lot of people are running these coilovers here on the forum.

The Good: Known company among US corvette fans. Over 35 years experience. Has high quality parts all around coming from their company. A lot of people are running their products. Seems to be very popular with the corvetteforum crowd. Coilover set has a remote rear shock adjuster that the stance coilover set does not have.

The Bad: On the pricier side for a suspension without independently adjustable compression and rebound dampening for custom driving setups. For $200 more, you can have a set of KW Variant 3s that have this feature and are an amazing coilover set but then your already breaking the $2k barrier. ( had a set on my evo ix back in the day and they were amazing but $$$ ) Can not say this is a 'MUCH higher quality coilover than the Stance set' to justify the $700+ price difference myself.

Not an expert, any input is appreciated folks! Hope this sparks a good thread with people that have experience or are about to be in the same boat as I am right now

-Arbi

Last edited by bizzmeister; 03-29-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:16 PM
z0stix
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the lg gt2, i got them new from a vender here for around 1600 but they are my first coilovers on any car. Just make a note that these won't slam the car in the front if u r looking for that look, unless u run 18" +wheels

I don't track the car but I do take some spirited drives, no weird noises, eats up small bumps... car handles amazing, then again I also run r888 tires all around on 17x 10 and 17x12 ccw
Old 03-29-2015, 10:31 PM
janky
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to go with a more budget oriented setup, why not just upgrade the shocks and swaybars and keep the factory springs? Also if you're on a budget, why gamble all your money on an unproven product? LG all the way for coilovers under 2k, they have already worked out the bugs in retrofitting this chassis with them.

Ps- Very few people are going to need independent compression/rebound adjustability for a mostly street driven vehicle (that effectively means the coilovers weren't properly valved from the manufacturer), and even fewer are capable of properly tinkering with such a setup. That's really for dialing in the damper to a given spring and tire combo in dedicated racing situations and is well beyond what it sounds like you intend to do with the vehicle.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:14 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by janky
If you want to go with a more budget oriented setup, why not just upgrade the shocks and swaybars and keep the factory springs? Also if you're on a budget, why gamble all your money on an unproven product? LG all the way for coilovers under 2k, they have already worked out the bugs in retrofitting this chassis with them.

Ps- Very few people are going to need independent compression/rebound adjustability for a mostly street driven vehicle (that effectively means the coilovers weren't properly valved from the manufacturer), and even fewer are capable of properly tinkering with such a setup. That's really for dialing in the damper to a given spring and tire combo in dedicated racing situations and is well beyond what it sounds like you intend to do with the vehicle.
I agree with all of this (I went with the Stage 1 O'Connell shocks and sways, myself)

That said, I've heard good things about Stance and great things about the LGs
Old 03-29-2015, 11:26 PM
janky
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW I went with Pfadt single adjustable coilovers and swaybars myself, which I'm happy with. If I had it to do over again I might have gone with shocks first, then upgraded to coilovers when I felt the factory springs were holding me back.

At the time I debated between LG and Pfadt, now that Pfadt is in practice defunct my only regret is in not choosing LG the first time around.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:41 PM
bizzmeister
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by z0stix
I have the lg gt2, i got them new from a vender here for around 1600 but they are my first coilovers on any car. Just make a note that these won't slam the car in the front if u r looking for that look, unless u run 18" +wheels

I don't track the car but I do take some spirited drives, no weird noises, eats up small bumps... car handles amazing, then again I also run r888 tires all around on 17x 10 and 17x12 ccw
Nice, thanks for sharing your experience man. Well, for what its worth, ill be running 19x10.5 in the front and 19x13 in the rear on wide rear fenders.

Originally Posted by janky

Thanks for your information, greatly appreciate it. I may even go the route you are suggesting after I do some more research.

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I agree with all of this (I went with the Stage 1 O'Connell shocks and sways, myself)

That said, I've heard good things about Stance and great things about the LGs
Ok, so another who has heard of stance haha. You hear anything bad about them yourself? Anything one should look out for?
Old 03-30-2015, 12:00 AM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Stance coilovers on my 97 M3, I really enjoyed them.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:09 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

get something rebuildable locally, or at least nationally. the KW variants can be haggled and are a really high quality shock

LG was using bilstein on some models if i remember right. if these are made by B that's great, they should be rebuildable

i would never ever never run stance, form function, skunk2 or any other china factory special shock. no support and no real damp testing
Old 03-30-2015, 02:42 PM
Mikes-Z06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
get something rebuildable locally, or at least nationally. the KW variants can be haggled and are a really high quality shock

LG was using bilstein on some models if i remember right. if these are made by B that's great, they should be rebuildable

i would never ever never run stance, form function, skunk2 or any other china factory special shock. no support and no real damp testing
Not to redirect the thread but I've heard QA1's have become very good over the last couple of years.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:06 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you back up your statement with evidence?

Stance is a US-based company which manufactures performance parts for many popular performance vehicles.

Alex Talbot wins the 2012 ST2 National Championship Race piloting his C6 Corvette on STANCE Super Sport SS-D Coilovers! Check out the onboard footage within!

I don't know about FF or Skunk 2 but stance is on some reputable machines around the world.
Not on my c5z but my previous vehicle (350z) had stance coilovers on them and they were reputable for its money.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:22 PM
bizzmeister
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RadnessWarrior
I had Stance coilovers on my 97 M3, I really enjoyed them.
Nice! Any of that low speed noises/rattle when driving ?

Thanks for your input

Originally Posted by rkdc5z06

Stance is a US-based company which manufactures performance parts for many popular performance vehicles.

Alex Talbot wins the 2012 ST2 National Championship Race piloting his C6 Corvette on STANCE Super Sport SS-D Coilovers! Check out the onboard footage within!

I don't know about FF or Skunk 2 but stance is on some reputable machines around the world.
Not on my c5z but my previous vehicle (350z) had stance coilovers on them and they were reputable for its money.
Nice man, I didn't even know that.

What I don't understand is all the guys saying they would never buy these Japanese/Korean products. How does everyone know they aren't doing any testing on these and just releasing them into the public. That makes no sense in this case with Stance.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:24 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rkdc5z06

it's all about service. if you can rebuild locally, provide shock dynos and reveal who's making your gear i may change my song.

the vast majority of coilovers are all coming out of the same couple factories in taiwan, most of us know this

if everything is made in the US. post pics of your manufacturing process as i can't see how you could turn a profit making everything in house.

skunk is a "us based" company too. i can point to the factory on a map of taiwan where all their products are actually made

Last edited by racebum; 03-31-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:18 PM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.stance-usa.com/main/about/product/

Check it out.

edit: No low noise rattling what so ever, I really enjoyed the handling characteristics of it. Probably going to pick up a set of Stance before summer ends.

Last edited by RadnessWarrior; 03-30-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:52 AM
bizzmeister
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RadnessWarrior
http://www.stance-usa.com/main/about/product/

Check it out.

edit: No low noise rattling what so ever, I really enjoyed the handling characteristics of it. Probably going to pick up a set of Stance before summer ends.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:02 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Questions about the Stance coil overs. I run JRi shocks on my c5z. They came with a dyno sheet for each shock. Do the Stance shocks come with that or just a generic dyno sheet or no dyno sheet at all? Do the adjustment ***** do any tuning that you can visibly see on the dyno graph? What does it cost to rebuild/revalve a shock? What's the turn around time? Are they local to you?

Honestly for what your doing, I'd push you towards DRM valved bilstien shocks and lower the car on stock bolts. I'm not seeing a need based on what your doing with the car to need a coil over setup unless you just want a coil over setup.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:38 AM
bizzmeister
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by chetly
Questions about the Stance coil overs. I run JRi shocks on my c5z. They came with a dyno sheet for each shock. Do the Stance shocks come with that or just a generic dyno sheet or no dyno sheet at all? Do the adjustment ***** do any tuning that you can visibly see on the dyno graph? What does it cost to rebuild/revalve a shock? What's the turn around time? Are they local to you?

Honestly for what your doing, I'd push you towards DRM valved bilstien shocks and lower the car on stock bolts. I'm not seeing a need based on what your doing with the car to need a coil over setup unless you just want a coil over setup.
As far as your questions go for the Stance coilovers, I have no idea bud. I don't think they are local to me at all here in SoCal but I think they get rebuilt somewhere here in the U.S

I actually just want the coilover setup just to future proof what im doing. I'd rather not go the shock route.

Get notified of new replies

To Stance Coilovers v LG GT2 Coilovers (suspension dudes please)

Old 04-13-2015, 12:31 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had Stance coilovers on my Z06 since last June. Only about 2000 miles on them since then but they have been perfect. No issues at all.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I'd rather have really good shocks with stock springs vs a sub standard coilover kit, bit hey to each their own. Good luck with whatever your trying to do...
Old 04-14-2015, 01:44 AM
bizzmeister
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ssrallyred
I have had Stance coilovers on my Z06 since last June. Only about 2000 miles on them since then but they have been perfect. No issues at all.
Nice! Good to hear, just ordered my set! Should be here in 4-5 business days. What adjustment did you choose for your damp settings? Was told there are about 16 increments on each shock?

Originally Posted by chetly
I'd rather have really good shocks with stock springs vs a sub standard coilover kit, bit hey to each their own. Good luck with whatever your trying to do...
I see, well, thanks! As stated above your post, I just ended up choosing the Stance super sport coilovers.

Thanks for everyone's input, ill update this thread in 2-3 weeks when all is said and done with impressions/drives

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stance Coilovers v LG GT2 Coilovers (suspension dudes please)