Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] installed MGW, bilsteins, and nitto NT05's this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run NT05's on the street too. Love em, on my third set or so I think. Great price, dry grip is great, wet grip isn't too bad neither is the cold. Its night and day below 50 degrees but that's the case with most summer only tires anyway.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:05 PM
thxalot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the proud new owner of a C5 Z16/z06 as of last week. Very stoked, it is my second vette, and it is a beast!

She's got the Nitto's and the MGW installed also. I think the MGW is from about 4 years ago (2 owners before me). It is incredibly stiff - especially from side to side.

I only drive 3 pedal cars (including two different daily-driver station wagons - one for me and one for the missus, which are both 6 speeds), but with the MGW, I have started in 3rd gear at least half a dozen times. Feels like there is at most half an inch of travel from first to reverse - and that is across 4 gates!

Any body else having this trouble? Any recommendations? (videos and how-to links are VERY much appreciated.)

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It is stiff but you get used to it. I would recommend the anti venom mod http://www.toquez06.com/avm.html

Can't remember if it helped with the lateral movement though
Old 07-28-2015, 09:11 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by thxalot
I am the proud new owner of a C5 Z16/z06 as of last week. Very stoked, it is my second vette, and it is a beast!

She's got the Nitto's and the MGW installed also. I think the MGW is from about 4 years ago (2 owners before me). It is incredibly stiff - especially from side to side.

I only drive 3 pedal cars (including two different daily-driver station wagons - one for me and one for the missus, which are both 6 speeds), but with the MGW, I have started in 3rd gear at least half a dozen times. Feels like there is at most half an inch of travel from first to reverse - and that is across 4 gates!

Any body else having this trouble? Any recommendations? (videos and how-to links are VERY much appreciated.)

Thanks!
Mine was "stiff" I guess especially when first installed, I now have maybe 1500-2000 miles on it and it shifts exactly as I'd like it to...it has "loosened" up a bit so to speak, but that lack of lateral/side to side movement is all part of the short throw shifter experience - they eliminate "sloppiness" and unnecessary in the shifter, and accentuates all "positive" movement ie: any movement w/ a purpose to get into and out of a gear.

I would not recommend the "antivenom" mod - I tried it, and it caused the shifter pop out of gear very easily, particularly in 4th for me. It did nothing to improve the accuracy of the shifting and I felt like it is basically a detriment to the normal function of the MGW. It is also kinda a PITA to do, and I cut my hands up getting it done only to remove it shortly after (the washer that is).

IMO the MGW is the best mod I have done for the car and I think it is worth every penny, very well made. You may have the older version that lacks the lower box portion, you could try getting that piece and see if it improves feel.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:03 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
Mine was "stiff" I guess especially when first installed, I now have maybe 1500-2000 miles on it and it shifts exactly as I'd like it to...it has "loosened" up a bit so to speak, but that lack of lateral/side to side movement is all part of the short throw shifter experience - they eliminate "sloppiness" and unnecessary in the shifter, and accentuates all "positive" movement ie: any movement w/ a purpose to get into and out of a gear.

I would not recommend the "antivenom" mod - I tried it, and it caused the shifter pop out of gear very easily, particularly in 4th for me. It did nothing to improve the accuracy of the shifting and I felt like it is basically a detriment to the normal function of the MGW. It is also kinda a PITA to do, and I cut my hands up getting it done only to remove it shortly after (the washer that is).

IMO the MGW is the best mod I have done for the car and I think it is worth every penny, very well made. You may have the older version that lacks the lower box portion, you could try getting that piece and see if it improves feel.
Did you do one or two washers?
Old 07-31-2015, 12:03 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Did you do one or two washers?
One CU washer
Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default installed MGW, bilsteins, and nitto NT05's this weekend

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
One CU washer
Weird. I have one washer in there with the MTI Six Shooter and none of the above-mentioned problems

Quick Reply: [Z06] installed MGW, bilsteins, and nitto NT05's this weekend