Sponsored by:

[Z06] New Z06 Owner needs some help finding info

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:20 AM
Rick Radcliffe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Z06 Owner needs some help finding info

I'm sure this information is available but I've searched with no success. I'd really appreciate some help finding info.

1. I bought a 2002 Z06. Black with Blue stripes. The stripes appear to be under the clearcoat so I assume that they are factory. I'd love to know how many cars had the stripe, especially black with blue.

2. I intend to use my car as a GT car. I want to be able to jump in and drive anywhere (live in SoCal and will be taking to Bowling Green next summer to see the factory/museum and would like to do One Lap the year after that.) Reliability is key. I would also like to set the car up to do track days.

2a. Are the factory brakes up to track days? The C6Z brakes look killer but if I can avoid spending $2000, that would be ok with me. My tires are old and crusty and need to be replaced but I don't want to buy tires if I am going to be changing wheel sizes so the C6Z brakes will fit.

2b. If the factory Z06 brakes really do need to be upgraded, what should I be doing for wheels? I have heard that you can run factory rears all the way around for 18x10.5. Do they rub? What tire sizes should I be running? What other problems will that cause? (Stagger, rubbing, under/oversteer). I don't really like the C6Z wheels. I prefer a simple 5-spoke wheel with no lip. (The C6 factory wheels from 05 look great to me but I don't want to sacrifice width.)

3. I'm a big dude (6'4" and 260 lbs) and my knees keep hitting the wheel I'd like to ditch the stock wheel and get the new one closer to me (long torso but short arms). Suggestions for wheel setup? I'm concerned about not being able to reach the turn signal easily. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? What are the full race cars doing for steering column? (I know they don't have turn signals.)

3a. I would also like to replace the factory seats with more supportive seats. I have sat in EvoII Plus seats in a C5 (Thanks Matt Farah) and they are close but I would like to get more headroom and legroom. Also, I don't think my girlfriend will tolerate those seats for a run up the coast to Monterey.

Thanks again for your help.

This is my third Corvette (98 A4 base/2005 M6 base) but the first one I have had the opportunity to mod.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Having just gone through this thought process, after 8 track days with this car, agonizing over decisions all the way, maybe this will help:

Stock brakes are ok for your first couple of track days. I went to cyro treated centric rotars and carbotech pads. Carbotech makes a cheaper street pad that you can change each track day, but I rarely drive on the street so have not bothered--but there is a lot of dust. There are cracks forming in front rotars already, so am installing DRM front brake ducts, and their stainless pistons--see their video. That should suffice for 25-30 minute sessions for now. The next step will be a serious brake upgrade. Warmer ambient temps will accelerate your upgrade process.

I bought new Michelins ps2's, which are fantastic for street and track, rain or shine. (The ss are superior now) They are lasting better than expected, even though I've gotten much faster. However, since bought 4 stock rear wheels with Hoosiers already mounted on them--315x18 off a friends racecar. They do touch on the front, not enough to matter. The rear requires a thin 5-10mm spacer as even my stocks were wearing a groove in the brake duct. You should seriously consider buying 2 more stock rears and go with a square setup on 18in Michelins for duel use. You truly do get what you pay for with tires.

I'm 6'1" and drove with the seat all the way back until doing track days. In that position a helmet hit the integrated rollbar in the roof. However, after watching a great video about driving position, and bringing up the seat so my wrists rest on the steering wheel properly, plenty of headroom now. Evo2's, harness bar, etc is all piled up waiting for warmer weather to install.

I too had visions of my wife and I taking vacations in the z06, and doing track days as well. That vision is gone--she likes travel in our dd cars better, and I've lost interest in street driving. (NY cops are everywhere, just tax collectors now) Bought a 24ft car hauler, which will get bunks so us guys can stay at the track, and optimizing the car for track--things like max negative camber--which is a pain on crappy streets and crowned roads. The permanent numbers are cop callers, as is the Corsa extreme. Beware, you may go to the dark side too--it's the most fun you'll ever have!!! lol
Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Eric Reeves
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Rick,

I have owned a C5Z which was a daily driver and track car at the same time. Still have it but she is out of daily duty now but not because she can't. Just don't need to. So here are my answers for you.

1. There were no pinstripes or stripes in general on any C5Z other than the hood on the CE in 2004.

2. That is the beauty of Corvettes in general. Can be a great GT one day and a good track car as is the next. It all depends on how radical you get for the track will the GT part be affected. I recommend that you change your valve springs first and foremost. As for track set up all you need is an alignment really. Others will say coil overs, lower, etc but again this will impact the GT equation.

2a. For plain ole HPDE driving the stock brakes are fine. Actually preferred from a costs standpoint. You can get better pads and the rotors are cheap. In stock form the C5Z brakes were about the best in its day with stops 60-0 in about 100ft. Go with good pads and fluid and you will be fine.

2b. The factory brakes do not need to be changed therefore the wheels are fine. I personally think the stock wheels are some of the best looking to come from the factory. The factory setup for the wheels/tires are optimum for what your stated goals are. There are combinations better for racing but your not racing. Keep in mind the money aspect associated with changing these too.

3. No info to offer.

3a. The seats if anything where the issue with the C5Z at the track. There are many options for you. The question is how much do you want to spend?

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

A good hi-temp brake fluid is you first brake upgrade, along with fresh track rated pads and Napa cheep rotors... (with aggressive pads the rotors are through-aways) On the other hand I have over 20+ track days last year, and 5 years of road use on a set of DBA rotors. And if your tracking with the intent to be abel to drive home after a fun day, you should be only using 8/10s of the cars potential.
As for road trips, keep the alignment mild (-1.25 front and -1.0 rear) As for tires, I've been very happy with Conti Extremes DW 275/40/17 front and 295/35/18 rears. Great all around tire, quiet on the road, with reasonable tread wear (20k of road use, and 20+ TDs) and the rears are just getting to the wear bars in their centers. Good shock absorbers are a must, and don't go overboard lowering.
Seat? Although the stock seats don't have a lot to offer on the track, there not that bad on the long hall. Steering wheel? You may want to look for a C6 or newer wheel may work, but giving up the airbag may put you in dutch with you medical insurance co in the event of an accident.

Mark
Old 04-01-2015, 11:41 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Make sure any after market seat you get is wide enough across the shoulders I am 6' and 240 but wide shoulders and have not found a seat wide enough for me so I had to install sport seats and rebuild them ,came out OK been looking a Viper seats ?? I cut down the seat frames and that dropped the seat 2" I kinda custom built stuff that works for me ..I have a friend that has a 02 Z he has tracked it from day one all stock but tires it just goes and goes he was on the track last weekend an drives it on the street just takes track tires off he beats the heck out of it and it just goes and goes ..
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You said you couldn't find anything with the search? Maybe Google could be your friend.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:04 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82
You said you couldn't find anything with the search? Maybe Google could be your friend.
NO I found all the seats that will fit in the C-5 ..A shop in Houston has all or most of the seats after market and you can buy , can go sit in them all of about 15 or so none would I fit in all were about 12" across I needed 13-14" to fit in ,I did fit but could not move like in a vice I guess good for a short ride but after awhile needed to move a little I looked for weeks I had to spend big money to get what I got more that would cost for some after market stuff, They make wider but not for the Corvette I looked hard . Just saying be carful if got wide shoulders might be tight ..Just saying..

Get notified of new replies

To New Z06 Owner needs some help finding info

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Z06 Owner needs some help finding info