Sponsored by:

[Z06] Finally Finished Up The Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Finally Finished Up The Z06

Finally got the car off the jack stands in the garage after cleaning up the suspension / brakes, changing endlinks ect, Powdercoating swaybars and changing some bushings... Also got around to throwing my 18/19 C6Z wheels with 275/35/18 MT Street Comps and 305/35/19 NT05R's... Also slapped on some C6Z splash guards...

While getting ready to throw my new rims on I noticed my suspension was pretty sad for my standards...

Before Suspension:

Coilovers had rust in the threads, My Heim Joint endlinks were all froze up, Rotor hats were sad looking ect...

Cleaning Suspension:

Powdercoated the sway bars ect...

Cleaning up the rotor hats and painting them

Cleaning Suspension:

Suspension Done:

Installed HID's 55W 5000K:

Before Pics Of Car Before Work...

After:

Last edited by Breze84; 04-18-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:49 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are those just straight up OEM C6Z splash guards? I could use something like that. I have the RPI $39 ones and they're good in the front but pretty lame in the back.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:38 AM
janky
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good sir, man I wish I had a garage! I need to do this on mine too.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 AM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Are those just straight up OEM C6Z splash guards? I could use something like that. I have the RPI $39 ones and they're good in the front but pretty lame in the back.
They are actually Apsis... I modified them a little for oem style fitment...

Originally Posted by janky
Looking good sir, man I wish I had a garage! I need to do this on mine too.
Thanks bud...
Old 04-19-2015, 10:07 AM
cmc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sexy looking Z!
Old 04-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Lots of elbow grease on this one.

Great job. Makes quite a difference.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:39 AM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Looks great!!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:49 AM
RIKKITIK
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Looks great, good job
Gotta admit though, I saw the thread title and thought, " that's a bold statement.....someone actually finished their Z??
Old 04-19-2015, 12:03 PM
JJ 86
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks great!
Old 04-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 213 Posts

Nice job on the suspension. Do you use any specific products to brighten the aluminum suspension pieces?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by RIKKITIK
Looks great, good job
Gotta admit though, I saw the thread title and thought, " that's a bold statement.....someone actually finished their Z??
Touche hahahaha......
Old 04-19-2015, 11:01 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Thanks guys, I definitely have a lot of hours into this car. Between what I recently did over this past winter and what I did last summer to the motor. "There is a thread on that"...
Old 04-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
Nice job on the suspension. Do you use any specific products to brighten the aluminum suspension pieces?
I used Zep Pride with a kitchen sponge, cleaned and rinse to get the bulk of the grime off, I then use Napa Aluminum Brightner "Be Carful It Has Aluminum Etching Acid" Spray all over Aluminum then rinse within 20 seconds or so... That stuff is amazing, If I still see some dirty aluminum I spot spray and scrub with gray scotch brite. After its all rinsed and clean I use CLR on the hub bearing and scrubed with scotch brite to get off the surface grime and rinse. After everything is done I used fine steel wool and polish up all aluminum then go over it with Never Dull Cloth aluminum polish and clean up with a micro fiber...

Its hard to see in the pics but it actually went from a "Clean Gray" look to pretty much having a mirror reflection. I am a sick bastard, All that for something that is only 10% visible hahaha, Hey... But I know it looks good...

Last edited by Breze84; 04-19-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Breze84
I used Zep Pride with a kitchen sponge, cleaned and rinse to get the bulk of the grime off, I then use Napa Aluminum Brightner "Be Carful It Has Aluminum Etching Acid" Spray all over Aluminum then rinse within 20 seconds or so... That stuff is amazing, If I still see some dirty aluminum I spot spray and scrub with gray scotch brite. After its all rinsed and clean I use CLR on the hub bearing and scrubed with scotch brite to get off the surface grime and rinse. After everything is done I used fine steel wool and polish up all aluminum then go over it with Never Dull Cloth aluminum polish and clean up with a micro fiber...

Its hard to see in the pics but it actually went from a "Clean Gray" look to pretty much having a mirror reflection. I am a sick bastard, All that for something that is only 10% visible hahaha, Hey... But I know it looks good...
Lot's of work, but the effort really paid off.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:09 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RIKKITIK
Looks great, good job
He just finished what he was doing at the time ,looks like he just got started to me ..LOL
Old 04-20-2015, 02:15 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I was wondering the same thing... I noticed the switch from what appeared to be the eBay ones to the OEM-looking ones

They are actually Apsis... I modified them a little for oem style fitment...

Thanks bud...
Apsis for the C6Z? Can you hook us up with a little tutorial on fitting those as you did? How was your experience dealing with Jersey? $?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:18 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Really nice , now did you get the black parts looking nice ? The iner finders wells ,Etc. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally Finished Up The Z06

Old 04-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by radar502
He just finished what he was doing at the time ,looks like he just got started to me ..LOL
Lol, Performance wise I am pretty setup... Forged H/C/I LS7, Stage 6 RPM A4 Swap, Stage 3 RPM C6Z diff ect ect... I am pretty sure I will find more to do very soon though. You can never get enough and for me its mental therapy

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I was wondering the same thing... I noticed the switch from what appeared to be the eBay ones to the OEM-looking ones

Apsis for the C6Z? Can you hook us up with a little tutorial on fitting those as you did? How was your experience dealing with Jersey? $?
The ones that were on originally sucked, They were actually from a CF vendor here. As for the Apsis ones I actually pulled the rubber strip that Jersey puts on them off and used a dremel to take some material off of the side that contacts the body. I then reinserted the rubber trim on and glued it again. BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS... I then got it tight into the position I like, Had a friend hold it and drilled holes and screwed with the existing holes that were pre-drilled. I then re-drilled a different hole in the bottom for rigidity. I will take some pics for you if you want...

Jersey is okay to deal with, The language barrier makes it difficult and he is very adamant to explain how great his products are when you approach him with concerns or a better idea on how to make something fit. I basically explained to him if his guards had less of a radius on them they would fit perfect without contorting them in place. He didnt seem to like that I guess I spent a lot of money on 2 pieces of fiberglass "$250" I was hoping these would go right on like money with no problems. Even though I know I could have made OEM's fit I was trying to avoid the extra work. I felt the extra money I would spend on a product that is supposed to fit perfect was worth more then my time. But It obviously didnt end up that way and I had to do what I did. Oh well, I am happy with the outcome none the less...

Originally Posted by radar502
Really nice , now did you get the black parts looking nice ? The iner finders wells ,Etc. Thanks.
Sprayed some degreaser on a rag and whipped them all down, Then went over with a mothers plastic cleaning product that gave a matte finish... Worked well

Last edited by Breze84; 04-20-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:07 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The ones that were on originally sucked, They were actually from a CF vendor here. As for the Apsis ones I actually pulled the rubber strip that Jersey puts on them off and used a dremel to take some material off of the side that contacts the body. I then reinserted the rubber trim on and glued it again. BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS... I then got it tight into the position I like, Had a friend hold it and drilled holes and screwed with the existing holes that were pre-drilled. I then re-drilled a different hole in the bottom for rigidity. I will take some pics for you if you want...

Jersey is okay to deal with, The language barrier makes it difficult and he is very adamant to explain how great his products are when you approach him with concerns or a better idea on how to make something fit. I basically explained to him if his guards had less of a radius on them they would fit perfect without contorting them in place. He didnt seem to like that I guess I spent a lot of money on 2 pieces of fiberglass "$250" I was hoping these would go right on like money with no problems. Even though I know I could have made OEM's fit I was trying to avoid the extra work. I felt the extra money I would spend on a product that is supposed to fit perfect was worth more then my time. But It obviously didnt end up that way and I had to do what I did. Oh well, I am happy with the outcome none the less...
Yeah, I'll take pics whenever you get time, if you don't mind

Does he sell these for the C5 or are they intended for C6Zs?

Do you feel like you did more work fitting these than you would have with the C6Z ones?
Old 04-20-2015, 03:50 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Lol, Performance wise I am pretty setup... Forged H/C/I LS7, Stage 6 RPM A4 Swap, Stage 3 RPM C6Z diff ect ect... I am pretty sure I will find more to do very soon though. You can never get enough and for me its mental therapy

Sprayed some degreaser on a rag and whipped them all down, Then went over with a mothers plastic cleaning product that gave a matte finish... Worked well
Thanks going to try that .

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally Finished Up The Z06