Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] How did you weld steel cutouts to stock TI exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 PM
aramz06
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How did you weld steel cutouts to stock TI exhaust?

I am ready to order electric cutouts, but I know that steel and titanium do not weld together. How do all of you with E cutouts do it with the titanium exhaust?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

steel to titanium............you don't, and neither does anyone else.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 PM
aramz06
Racer

So anybody who has cutouts on their corvette definitely has an aftermarket exhaust?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

They probably have it welded in their x-pipe, which is steel of course.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc7
That's probably the easiest, best place anyway. Right where they sweep up...
Unless you want them closer to the rear of the car. But yes, with Ti, not really gonna happen.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:55 AM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Originally Posted by grantv
That's probably the easiest, best place anyway. Right where they sweep up...
Unless you want them closer to the rear of the car. But yes, with Ti, not really gonna happen.
Alright well this brings up the question, how is the X pipe in place with a TI exhaust? I assume it has to be clamped? And if that is the case, cant I just simply weld a small 2.5" ti pipe on my exhaust (since my cutouts do not come with a Y pipe), and then clamp the cutouts to the new ti pipes? Any reason that wont work?

I am determined to install the cutouts as close to the cats as possible. I know this seems impossible but I am going to try everything I can to do it. Will definitely post up all my trial and errors throughout the process.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:04 PM
philadd
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by aramz06
Alright well this brings up the question, how is the X pipe in place with a TI exhaust? I assume it has to be clamped? And if that is the case, cant I just simply weld a small 2.5" ti pipe on my exhaust (since my cutouts do not come with a Y pipe), and then clamp the cutouts to the new ti pipes? Any reason that wont work?

I am determined to install the cutouts as close to the cats as possible. I know this seems impossible but I am going to try everything I can to do it. Will definitely post up all my trial and errors throughout the process.
I'm not sure you've looked at your exhaust before. The exhaust piping is steel from the exhaust manifiolds, past the cats, to just before the over-the-axle pipes. It connects via flanges to the titanium over-the-axles pipes and titanium mufflers.

Only the rear section is titanium. The 1st 2/3rds of the exhaust is steel, and the cats are in the middle of that steel section. There is no need to mess with any titanium, especially considering your goal.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:34 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Cutouts

Philad is correct. I just had cut outs installed and they were positioned in the Stainless portion, right at the Y pipe. Work perfectly there is another thread Ive seen here where there are pictures of both popular types of Cutouts after being installed. if I can find it I'll advise where thanks
Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default pics

Originally Posted by pnewt
Philadd is correct. I just had cut outs installed and they were positioned in the Stainless portion, right at the Y pipe. Work perfectly. there is another thread Ive seen here where there are pictures of both popular types of Cutouts after being installed. if I can find it I'll advise where thanks
Contact REDZMONTE he posted pics of installed cut outs
Old 04-23-2015, 01:52 PM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by philadd
I'm not sure you've looked at your exhaust before. The exhaust piping is steel from the exhaust manifiolds, past the cats, to just before the over-the-axle pipes. It connects via flanges to the titanium over-the-axles pipes and titanium mufflers.

Only the rear section is titanium. The 1st 2/3rds of the exhaust is steel, and the cats are in the middle of that steel section. There is no need to mess with any titanium, especially considering your goal.
Philad is correct. I just had cut outs installed and they were positioned in the Stainless portion, right at the Y pipe. Work perfectly there is another thread Ive seen here where there are pictures of both popular types of Cutouts after being installed. if I can find it I'll advise where thanks
Contact REDZMONTE he posted pics of installed cut outs
Well that saves me the embarrassment of having my exhaust shop tell stories of the guy who wanted his exhaust cut and re-welded in a steel/titanium disaster. Awesome, will post pics of installation. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

You want to put them under the transmission. See this, they have pictures.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...29907411996774
Old 04-23-2015, 06:58 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search for pics and you will find a ton.. here is a post about the same questions and has pics.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cut-outs.html
Old 04-23-2015, 10:38 PM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by Sigforty
You want to put them under the transmission. See this, they have pictures.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...29907411996774
Thanks for posting the link. You can put them anywhere they fit, and my goal is to go as close to the cats as possible, since I already have straight pipes, I want to hear a noticeable difference.

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
Search for pics and you will find a ton.. here is a post about the same questions and has pics.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cut-outs.html
Thanks for the link. I installed cutouts on my 06 GTO before getting the vette, and they we just after the cats. My potential setup will require some custom piping and problem solving. Waiting to receive the cutouts. Any day now...
Old 04-23-2015, 11:18 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I know exactly what you wanted to do as I did it to mine. The only difference is I have B&B Rt 66 which is stainless and can put then on the 90 degree bend right before the mufflers. Because you have the TI exhaust you will have to put it on the H pipe

Here's a picture of how I installed mine

Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

If you are running straight pipes I don't think you will hear much of a difference. Depending on the exhaust system you have under the trans is a good spot. With aftermarket headers and 3" piping you run into a restriction right where the mufflers bolt on by the trans/diff. On my car I see a notice increase in midrange torque with the cutouts open due to optimal placement for the exhaust pulse to exit.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:25 AM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by johnsos30
I know exactly what you wanted to do as I did it to mine. The only difference is I have B&B Rt 66 which is stainless and can put then on the 90 degree bend right before the mufflers. Because you have the TI exhaust you will have to put it on the H pipe

Here's a picture of how I installed mine

Looks good. Those are the one I had on my GTO, except I want them much further towards the front of the car than yours are since I have straight pipes.

Originally Posted by Sigforty
If you are running straight pipes I don't think you will hear much of a difference. Depending on the exhaust system you have under the trans is a good spot. With aftermarket headers and 3" piping you run into a restriction right where the mufflers bolt on by the trans/diff. On my car I see a notice increase in midrange torque with the cutouts open due to optimal placement for the exhaust pulse to exit.
I had straight pipes + x pipe on my GTO and I had the cutouts just after the cats. There was definitely a noticeable difference. If they were mounted closer, near the transmission for example, yes the sound difference would be less noticeable. I also want them to be near the cats so that they are BEFORE the X pipe as well, as that would change up the sound quite a bit. I don't plan to do aftermarket headers or 3" exhaust anytime soon. Might be shooting for a C6z by the end of the year. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-24-2015, 02:57 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by aramz06
Looks good. Those are the one I had on my GTO, except I want them much further towards the front of the car than yours are since I have straight pipes.

I had straight pipes + x pipe on my GTO and I had the cutouts just after the cats. There was definitely a noticeable difference. If they were mounted closer, near the transmission for example, yes the sound difference would be less noticeable. I also want them to be near the cats so that they are BEFORE the X pipe as well, as that would change up the sound quite a bit. I don't plan to do aftermarket headers or 3" exhaust anytime soon. Might be shooting for a C6z by the end of the year. Thanks for the input!

I put mine here so I didn't have any drone under the car and all the noise goes straight out the back. My car is cammed out with headers and absolutely screams when the cutouts are open. I set alarms off when I pass parked cars

Get notified of new replies

To How did you weld steel cutouts to stock TI exhaust?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:13 PM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by johnsos30
I put mine here so I didn't have any drone under the car and all the noise goes straight out the back. My car is cammed out with headers and absolutely screams when the cutouts are open. I set alarms off when I pass parked cars
Hands down the funnest mod you can do to any V8. The best part is that not many people know about switch operated cutouts, so the shock factor is always fun.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:38 PM
aramz06
Racer

Well, I told you I would find a way. Mounted these just before the cats. They hang down about an inch total, which is fine since my car isn't slammed all the way down. Being that these are mounted just before the cats, you can imagine that this thing is louder than holy hell.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:26 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You guys do realize that dumping up front like this is releasing a massive amount of extremely hot air consistently on parts you may not want it on.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How did you weld steel cutouts to stock TI exhaust?