Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Are light 4.8mm windshields still out there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 08:05 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 03YellowZ06
Could you please tell me how and where you sourced the OEM 4.8 mm glass. I just had mine replaced by Safelite and they installed the regular C5 windshield. They billed my insurance company $1300 for it. I called and complained like you did and received the same response. The "windshield was ordered based on your VIN number and that is what the dealer sent us." I would love to find out a part number for the OEM z06 windshield.

I just posted a thread about my terrible experience with these guys two days ago. However, I have not received any responses.

Also, which one has the antenna built in?
AP glass look them up. They make it..
Old 05-05-2015, 09:09 AM
CorvetteJimZ06
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can always find a few C5 NOS Z06 windshields at Bloomington Gold or Carlisle. They are getting VERY hard to find now and I found three by one vendor at Bloomington last June for $1990 each. At the end of the show they were all gone. I should have bought one and taken it home as a spare, but it would have made things tight inside my Z06 on the drive home - I'm not even sure it would fit inside. I guess I could have had UPS do one of their extra cushion packs and shipped it home.

Last edited by CorvetteJimZ06; 05-05-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:31 AM
ERDOC
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

drive home - I'm not even sure it would fit inside

They won't fit inside your Corvette and yes they are getting almost impossible to find. I purchased an NOS GM 2004 Z06 windshield at Carlisle two years ago (it still had the Weber Chevrolet GM shipping stamp on the box) as a spare and shipped it home Fed Ex. It was $2100 and I only saw one other one at the show. Shipping with insurance from Carlisle to St Louis was 210 including their packing it. $1990 is a good price for a GM NOS Z06 windshiled!
Old 05-29-2015, 03:46 PM
jaguar5822
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what needs to be ordered to do the job right on a convertible? Blasphemy I know, but my car was converted and the dealer parts counter is giving me a hassle because he can't just click and order parts based on my vin.

On Safelite's end, I was finally able to get ahold of a customer service rep at their call center yesterday who took ownership of the issue and got on the local shop, who finally attempted to order the parts today.

Originally Posted by 03YellowZ06
Could you please tell me how and where you sourced the OEM 4.8 mm glass. I just had mine replaced by Safelite and they installed the regular C5 windshield. They billed my insurance company $1300 for it. I called and complained like you did and received the same response. The "windshield was ordered based on your VIN number and that is what the dealer sent us." I would love to find out a part number for the OEM z06 windshield.

I just posted a thread about my terrible experience with these guys two days ago. However, I have not received any responses.

Also, which one has the antenna built in?
Yep same song and dance. They gave you a non-Z06 from their stock instead of special ordering through the dealership. On my insurance when setting up the repair I had to choose the "original glass" option and it cost me an extra $250 deductible. Safelite tried to defraud me because they were going to charge me that $250 for the standard glass.

Last edited by jaguar5822; 05-29-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:58 PM
jaguar5822
Racer

Originally Posted by CorvetteJimZ06
You can always find a few C5 NOS Z06 windshields at Bloomington Gold or Carlisle. They are getting VERY hard to find now and I found three by one vendor at Bloomington last June for $1990 each. At the end of the show they were all gone. I should have bought one and taken it home as a spare, but it would have made things tight inside my Z06 on the drive home - I'm not even sure it would fit inside. I guess I could have had UPS do one of their extra cushion packs and shipped it home.
I would love to make it out to Carlisle one year.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

This is the one that my insurance company (supported by info from GM) forced me to buy:
Old 05-31-2015, 12:42 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Does anyone have the part number for the 4.8mm AP piece?
Old 06-05-2015, 06:47 PM
jaguar5822
Racer

Ok. Who has successfully ordered one and where did you order it from?

I had another appointment after more hours on the phone with Safelite. I get there and the winshield is standard HUD again and has no white sticker in the top left corner with part number on it. This time they have an invoice from dealer printed out and says the dealer here ordered the windshield based on my vin. Last time I talked to the dealership parts counter he was so stupid he couldn't comprehend that the Z06 glass was different. I'm working with a different safelite shop now, finally, and the manager is willing to order it from wherever we need to.

PS Maria the parts manager at Safelite is a complete moron. I told her exactly what to order, and even if the windshield were correct, they did not have the correct moldings and still wouldn't have been able to put it on.

Last edited by jaguar5822; 06-05-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:18 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if they are selling at shows for 1900 they aren't available. history of cars has went this way. NOS parts sometimes fetch a premium and that appears to be the case

coupe windows are available for roughly 700 with trim from GM if you haggle with the parts guys

i almost used safelite a few days ago on a couple work trucks and didn't for the same reason outlined. here. they are the mcdonalds of windshields. all the marketing and knock off products

i'd source an authentic coupe windshield that comes with the moldings and install that
Old 06-06-2015, 10:04 AM
jaguar5822
Racer

I appreciate the reply. At this point the shop I am now working with still needs to get the correct moldings. I told them to hold onto the current windshield (the new one from the dealer, not the original one they were going to give me) for now in case I'm not able to source one. Weird how it quickly turned from people saying they had them recently to a ghost town once I asked for their source.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Right? I have yet to see a part number either.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:29 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by jaguar5822
I appreciate the reply. At this point the shop I am now working with still needs to get the correct moldings. I told them to hold onto the current windshield (the new one from the dealer, not the original one they were going to give me) for now in case I'm not able to source one. Weird how it quickly turned from people saying they had them recently to a ghost town once I asked for their source.
exploded diagram of the parts and their numbers

http://parts.sellersgm.com/p/Chevrol...wd=&origin=pla

Last edited by racebum; 06-06-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:56 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

If you watch them replace the windshield, you'll realize it's worth every penny, one of the most complicated windshield installs out there. I had mine done last year, ordered on the Web, it made a difference between Coupe and Z06 Glass. Had it done in their shop (Safelite in Redmond, WA) and have no idea if its the 4.8 or regular, but the HUD works the same and I can see through it so I'm happy. If its a couple pounds heavier no big deal. I probably weigh less them most of you anyway (tall and skinny) so I don't fret. A better thing would be to mount the batter in the trunk, that would mean a lot more to handling and traction...LOL!
Old 06-06-2015, 06:18 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by JETninja
If you watch them replace the windshield, you'll realize it's worth every penny, one of the most complicated windshield installs out there. I had mine done last year, ordered on the Web, it made a difference between Coupe and Z06 Glass. Had it done in their shop (Safelite in Redmond, WA) and have no idea if its the 4.8 or regular, but the HUD works the same and I can see through it so I'm happy. If its a couple pounds heavier no big deal. I probably weigh less them most of you anyway (tall and skinny) so I don't fret. A better thing would be to mount the batter in the trunk, that would mean a lot more to handling and traction...LOL!
you know what i don't quite get?

safelite makes their own glass, or has it made overseas i should say. the actual GM windshield costs more than the entire install with glass at safelite.

i would be curious if safelite is making a 4.8 but kind of doubt it. they are all about the margin and i would imagine they have a one size fits all approach.

completely agree on it being a difficult install. you definitely want the guy who's been there 5+ years doing the job, not the guy who started last week
Old 06-07-2015, 01:42 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

Thats one of the reasons why I had it done in their shop and not in my driveway. Safelite works to a process and as someone who's been in Aerospace for over 28yrs I understand the benefit of working to a process. They worked as a team, were very careful, and very thorough. I would go back there in a heartbeat. And it doesn't leak and we used the original seals.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by JETninja
Thats one of the reasons why I had it done in their shop and not in my driveway. Safelite works to a process and as someone who's been in Aerospace for over 28yrs I understand the benefit of working to a process. They worked as a team, were very careful, and very thorough. I would go back there in a heartbeat. And it doesn't leak and we used the original seals.

what glass did they get you? agree on what you said and noticed they are one of the few that seem to spec windshields for the z06. just curious if you received an AP window or one of their house brands
Old 06-07-2015, 07:16 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

Like I said above, I don't know. Did it over a year ago. Just know it works fine. Did pick up 2 small chips right away so may do it again someday, but right now my M3 needs it more, it has a huge crack! Ha Ha....
Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 AM
jaguar5822
Racer

I was doing some research, and it seems that Safelite is contracted to make glass for AP Tech now. The house brand they had was AP Tech and looks to be the same exact model as the one they ordered from GM, which is also what made me skeptical again since they tried to charge me the OEM deductible for their "house brand" glass from their normal inventory the first time around, and claimed they ordered it from GM, but when I called GM Dealer they said no nothing had been ordered from them. It is possible that their house brand version of the AP Tech is made to less stringent standards, but I doubt there is any difference.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Are light 4.8mm windshields still out there?