Sponsored by:

[Z06] Success With The Ranger Method

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:43 AM
Mac-427
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Success With The Ranger Method

I have a low mileage 2001 Z06, with 6,000 miles on the clock. I just replaced the Delco battery with an Optima Red Top, changed fluids, and replaced the 15 year old Goodyear tires with Bridgestones. I then, checked the clutch fluid and it looked pretty murky. I went to the grocery store, got a turkey baster, picked some Dot 3 brake fluid from O'Reilly Auto Parts, reviewed the Ranger method and got to work. I my case it only took two fluid changes in the reservoir, and a total of sixty pedal pumps to get things clean and clear. In the future, I plan just to change what's in the reservoir on a regular basis to keep things clean. I highly recommend the Ranger method and suggest that anyone with a six speed look at the clutch fluid before problems occur rather than after. If it hasn't been examined, it's my guess that the fluid will be pretty dirty rather than clean and clear. Thanks to the Forum for so much good info on clutch problems. As the doctors say, prevention is the best cure.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:18 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good to hear & for you to pass the info on to others.

Strange how some just look at the outside of their cars and neglect the important things under the hood.

I guess outa sight..outa mind.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:06 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Guess I'll just wait. Both sides should be showing up soon to debate the merit of the Ranger Method.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:05 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

When I bought my 03 the clutch fluid had never been serviced. The clutch pedal would get soft after running the car through three gears.

I have flushed at least 7-8 times so far since Jan, fluid is always dirty. The clutch pedal issue has fixed itself, it operates normally now.

The seal has been damaged slightly from the lack of maintenance, until it fails I will keep flushing it, I only change the fluid now....takes about 5 minutes.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Furiousone
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need to do this soon...
Old 05-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You can eliminate the turkey baster or syringe and simply used 2-3 paper towels or a rag and soak/mop out the fluid. I've found that to be easier & quicker, not that the other method is difficult.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:41 PM
halp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trash
You can eliminate the turkey baster or syringe and simply used 2-3 paper towels or a rag and soak/mop out the fluid. I've found that to be easier & quicker, not that the other method is difficult.
How do you get rid of the brake fluid soaked towels?
I use the baster and put the old fluid in a jar and then take it to the hazardous waste disposal every year with old oil, paint, and other stuff.
The towel method sounds easier, but I would not be comfortable putting the towels in the trash. Guess I could stuff them in a jar like I do the fluid.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:38 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by halp
I use the baster and put the old fluid in a jar and then take it to the hazardous waste disposal every year with old oil, paint, and other stuff.
The towel method sounds easier, but I would not be comfortable putting the towels in the trash. Guess I could stuff them in a jar like I do the fluid.
Really? My neighbor dumps all his old fluids in the toilet-away they go-
Old 05-17-2015, 02:10 AM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by halp
I don't.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:19 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobby777
Really? My neighbor dumps all his old fluids in the toilet-away they go-
Your neighbor is clueless. Does he smoke when he is in the bathroom?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:06 AM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
Your neighbor is clueless. Does he smoke when he is in the bathroom?
He tells me this--all fluids contain chemicals and dumping into the toilet keeps the sewer lines clean--not sure if he smokes:He is a retired engineer with GE-
Old 05-17-2015, 12:42 PM
MMVVETT
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air in the System??

I just purchase a 2005 and had it for just a few weeks.

Than the clutch drop to the floor. It has been 25 years since i drove a standard and did not know about the clutch fluid. Lucky for me i was backing it in the garage then clutch droped. After reviewing the Ranger method i tried to clean the fluid but it is not working.

I think i got air int he system. Does any body know how to remove the air with taking it to the dealer?

thaanks'

Originally Posted by Mac-427
I have a low mileage 2001 Z06, with 6,000 miles on the clock. I just replaced the Delco battery with an Optima Red Top, changed fluids, and replaced the 15 year old Goodyear tires with Bridgestones. I then, checked the clutch fluid and it looked pretty murky. I went to the grocery store, got a turkey baster, picked some Dot 3 brake fluid from O'Reilly Auto Parts, reviewed the Ranger method and got to work. I my case it only took two fluid changes in the reservoir, and a total of sixty pedal pumps to get things clean and clear. In the future, I plan just to change what's in the reservoir on a regular basis to keep things clean. I highly recommend the Ranger method and suggest that anyone with a six speed look at the clutch fluid before problems occur rather than after. If it hasn't been examined, it's my guess that the fluid will be pretty dirty rather than clean and clear. Thanks to the Forum for so much good info on clutch problems. As the doctors say, prevention is the best cure.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:49 PM
MMVVETT
2nd Gear

Default Air in the system

I just purchase a very low mileage 2005 and had it for just a few weeks.

Than the clutch drop to the floor. It has been 25 years since I drove a standard and did not know about the clutch fluid. Lucky for me I was backing the car in the garage then clutch dropped.

After reviewing the Ranger method I tried to replace the fluid but it is not working.

I think I got air in he system. Does anybody know how to remove the air without taking it to the dealer?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:27 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MMVVETT

Than the clutch drop to the floor. It has been 25 years since I drove a standard and did not know about the clutch fluid. Lucky for me I was backing the car in the garage then clutch dropped.

After reviewing the Ranger method I tried to replace the fluid but it is not working.

I think I got air in he system. Does anybody know how to remove the air without taking it to the dealer?
Go to Youtube.com. Search for "Corvette flush bleed brake system by froggy"
Old 05-18-2015, 11:09 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MMVVETT

You're in the C5 section. May want to post up in the C6 section...
Old 05-18-2015, 04:53 PM
JBoyle997
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I do the ranger method about once a month, my clutch fluid is never dirty, and no problems with clutch pedal sticking or acting funny. 70k headers/intake , stock clutch.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:10 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i do mine every 6 months. kind of like the dentist, cheaper and easier if you do it frequently

neglect it....clutch has to come out aka root canal

Get notified of new replies

To Success With The Ranger Method

Old 05-19-2015, 01:20 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac-427
while the ranger method works, i find it very hard to believe you did this with just two fluid change's and six pumps of the pedal, its going to take more then that ..i have a remote bleeder on my S/C 03 Z06 and even with that it takes a good 3 to 4 reservoir fillings to completely flush the system..and you did this all with two and no speed bleeder...
Old 05-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Mac-427
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by momo20
while the ranger method works, i find it very hard to believe you did this with just two fluid change's and six pumps of the pedal, its going to take more then that ..i have a remote bleeder on my S/C 03 Z06 and even with that it takes a good 3 to 4 reservoir fillings to completely flush the system..and you did this all with two and no speed bleeder...
I went to the grocery store, got a turkey baster, picked some Dot 3 brake fluid from O'Reilly Auto Parts, reviewed the Ranger method and got to work. I my case it only took two fluid changes in the reservoir, and a total of sixty pedal pumps to get things clean and clear.
Hi Momo, if you check my post, quoted above, you will see it was sixty pedal pumps, not six. By the way, I drove about 100 miles this weekend and checked the fluid in the reservoir afterward. It had changed color slightly but there were no particles in suspension. I drained the reservoir with my trusty turkey baster, wiped it out with a blue paper towel and replenished the fluid. I will continue to do so after I take the car out for a spin. My Z car is not a daily driver and still has only 6000 miles because it was a museum car. This makes it quite possible the original particle build up was light. I'll keep checking it to be sure.

Last edited by Mac-427; 05-19-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:56 PM
footballplaya3k
Heel & Toe

Bump from the dead!

I bought a C5Z recently and came across the Ranger method. I looked at my clunch fluid and it was pitch black, looked like it had never been changed. Using the Ranger method it took 2 empties/fills and 60 pumps for it to be completely clear, same as the OP. I've done about 15 miles of city driving since then and it has remained clear. Do this!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Success With The Ranger Method