Sponsored by:

[Z06] Just Drove a C7 Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 03:49 PM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Just Drove a C7 Z06...

A friend of mine just picked up his 2015 C7 Z06. We went for a short ride this afternoon and all I can say is "WOW". One hell of a car - as well is should be for $100K but still, bang for the buck this thing is amazing.

I've sat in several C7s but this is my first ride...and it had to be a Z06 convertible. The exterior of the C7 still has a long way to grow on me, the side stance is the best, front is ok but the rear is fugly.

The interior fit/finish is light years ahead of my Z16...and she's only 11 years old! The seats - he has the competition seats - actually hugged me ...I finally know what great seats feel like! The view out over the dash, fender etc. (as passenger or driver) is very C6 like.

When driving the power came on quick and the exhaust note in sport mode is pretty loud regardless of how much I'm pushing with my right foot. He has the paddle shift 8 speed and I drove a bit in manual mode. The car seemed more responsive in manual mode compared to auto mode where there was a very, very slight hesitation in acceleration. The car quickly made up for the hesitation though.

All in all it was a short drive and we may have exceeded the recommended RPMs for break in on the motor...I'm already looking forward to some more seat time in the future. As our youngest daughter starts college this fall I'm several years out from adding one of these to my stable. Maybe that rear end will grow on me by that time.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:53 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

For the money you could buy yourself 3 nice low mile c5Z's, drive one on nice days one on rainy days and one for the weekend.

When I sell my c7 I just might buy another c5z because I like these cars that much.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:06 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
For the money you could buy yourself 3 nice low mile c5Z's, drive one on nice days one on rainy days and one for the weekend.

When I sell my c7 I just might buy another c5z because I like these cars that much.
Heck you can buy four nice C5Zs for the price of a new C7Z!
Old 05-26-2015, 01:01 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I waited for the C7 Z51...was gonna sell my Z...then I thought I'd wait for the C7Z...and now I just can't justify the money given the level of my C5Z. I feel like I am back to buying a Z51 and modding it. I don't wtf to do...lol. I might just say F it and buy one of these rapidly depreciating C6Z's...lol.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:28 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy

Says a lot about the c5z there!

I really like how the c7 interior is finally properly good. Overall it drives nicely too, but it's too tight to fit me well, and I still think the c5/6 look better. Haven't gotten a chance to ride or drive in a c7z yet.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I waited for the C7 Z51...was gonna sell my Z...then I thought I'd wait for the C7Z...and now I just can't justify the money given the level of my C5Z. I feel like I am back to buying a Z51 and modding it. I don't wtf to do...lol. I might just say F it and buy one of these rapidly depreciating C6Z's...lol.
My only problem with getting a C7 Z51 is that I know I'll end up putting C7Z money into it to make it into my vision of a C7Z... a 427 LT1 build with an emissions cam (maybe 550-600 at the crank), BBK and titanium mufflers would be the cat's meow
Old 05-26-2015, 11:45 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

I've been away from my C5Z for quite awhile, and only recently have been driving it more frequently.

Am reminded how awesome these Z06 cars are in general, no matter if C5 or C6. I can't even fathom how driving at 9/10ths would be in a C7Z.

Originally Posted by RC000E
Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice. Would love to try one. I'm sure I'll love it...

I will likely buy a C7Z when they are down to $50k with low miles...gonna be a while. Till then, my C5Z is still fun.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:25 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Its basically a completely different breed of car now - there are no longer any compromises, relatively speaking. The old C5Z showcased what GM could do w/ a proven platform in the end of its product cycle, taking it to the next level weight/handling/power-wise, and still sell it at a reasonable price. Its a true "street legal race car" w/ no frills - super raw as well all know. The C6Z put on a few more lbs, became a little more refined, and was launched very early on into the C6 product cycle so it got tweaked all along w/ the regular C6's. It punched way above its weight-class and set the bar for what a "supercar" could cost - albeit w/ a number of compromises - while I noted it was more refined, it still is "raw and visceral" in the sense that it sports a massive N/A hand built V8 rather than FI, and still was sketchy at the limit.

Now the new C7 Z06 - (and C7 in general) to me is as much porsche as it is vette - much MUCH more refined interior and overall build quality. Alot more options/tech/customization available a la porsche. Not at all comparable to the camaro (each iteration from C4 onward seems to take a step further away from any link to the pony car), and really tries to appeal to a MUCH wider audience (have your cake and eat it too??) w/ availability of auto and rag top.

Another good way to simply sum it up - the C5 and Z6 Z06 cars to me could be classed as "muscle cars" that had some SERIOUS handling chops - the C7 Z06 is no muscle car, its a straight up performance/track car w/ no compromises and can double as a luxurious boulevard GT cruiser if that's what you want, no different than say a Jaguar XKR
Old 05-27-2015, 12:08 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Frc>all
Old 05-27-2015, 02:48 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Twice I have had the opportunity to drive an LS-7 Vette for a week.

First was a Chevy 100th Anniversary Z-06 (black). Second, about a year later, was a 427 Vert (pictured).

Loved 'em both to say the least!

The black Z-06 was Darth Vader on wheels and was the definition of bad ***.

The vert was an awesome top down cruiser.

Both were brutally fast and the only thing I didn't like about either was how slow my beloved '97 LS-1 felt a week later.

I can only imagine how fast the C7 Z-06 is...

Old 05-27-2015, 03:57 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by chassed
Frc>all
The first time I saw an FRC i couldn't put my finger on what was different about it from a normal corvette, but I was in love. It was a black z06 that I saw back in 2009 when I was like 15 or 16. It just stood out to me over a regular c5
Old 06-01-2015, 02:13 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
My only problem with getting a C7 Z51 is that I know I'll end up putting C7Z money into it to make it into my vision of a C7Z... a 427 LT1 build with an emissions cam (maybe 550-600 at the crank), BBK and titanium mufflers would be the cat's meow
That's precisely the choice we've been left. The 6.2 LT1 can be upped to 416 pretty straightforward, dig in the Z06 parts bin for the body (it's cheap actually...like 4800.00 for everything), coilovers and brakes, some aero. Yeah, it'd be a hill to climb but...you could do it in stages and I mean...let's be honest the C7 Z51 is a stout machine as it sits.

They lost me when they put a supercharger in a Z06....I knew they were going to because of CTS-V...I just hoped I was wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Drove a C7 Z06...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just Drove a C7 Z06...