Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Got nail in tire, should the lifts at the tire shop scare me?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Got nail in tire, should the lifts at the tire shop scare me?

Ive heard people talk about how putting the car up on lifts improperly can cause damage on the rocker panels/under carriage. Is it safe to assume a place like Americas tires knows how to lift the car properly? Do i need to bring sets of hockey pucks and/or provide anything for the job? Darn car has me scared to hav anybody else work on it lol.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brice Peters
Ive heard people talk about how putting the car up on lifts improperly can cause damage on the rocker panels/under carriage. Is it safe to assume a place like Americas tires knows how to lift the car properly? Do i need to bring sets of hockey pucks and/or provide anything for the job? Darn car has me scared to hav anybody else work on it lol.
IF they DONT have pucks--i would never do bus. with them--im sure they have the know how--Discount tire has a guy that only does the corvettes where i shop-
Old 05-20-2015, 07:06 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

pucks are fine, beam lifts without them are not. puts pressure on the rocker and under panel
Old 05-20-2015, 07:47 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Tell them to just jack it up using a floor jack, there is no need to put a car on a lift to fix a tire.

If they won't do it, leave anyone will repair a tire for you.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:29 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Just pull the wheel and bring it in for the patch. One of the requirements for my dd was that it had to fit all 4 wheels and tires in it for just this purpose.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to just pull the wheel off and take it in. For some reason I did not think about that option, but thats why more brains are better than one
Old 05-21-2015, 01:33 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to just pull the wheel off and take it in. For some reason I did not think about that option, but thats why more brains are better than one
Yes, simpler option. Just in case, I always carry my jacking pucks in the car.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:59 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If they give you grief about patching, go to another tire place, some places like to scare people into buying new tires over patching.

It's simple they only make a few bucks on a patch.

Make sure they mark the tire before removing, they will charge you again if they can for balancing.

The weight of the patch won't change your balance enough to warrant re-balancing
Old 05-24-2015, 05:24 PM
PJake
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should also think about investing in some pucks and just keep them in your car.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 PM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Well I took the tire off the car and took it to an Americas Tires. They fixed the tire and balanced it for free for me even though I didnt buy the tires there. Pretty awesome! It did mess up the plastidip, so I had to peel it off and respray the wheel before it went back on the car. Gonna go put together some pucks for the future!

Get notified of new replies

To Got nail in tire, should the lifts at the tire shop scare me?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Got nail in tire, should the lifts at the tire shop scare me?