Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2003 z06 lowering on stock bolts help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:07 PM
Corvette Jake
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 z06 lowering on stock bolts help

For the past few weeks i have been doing research on the effects of lowering a c5 z06 on stock bolts and it seems that no one has a clear answer as to whether it actually improves handling or makes it worse. From what i have read t1 racers are saying it reduces cornering speed, but one would assume that is because the t1 kit wasnt designed for lower ride height correct? I also see a lot of people claiming that it does improve handling on a stock setup with an agressive alignment, but if you drop the car without changing shocks wouldnt you reduce the amount of travel you have and and in turn make it squirly on less than desirable surfaces? Im so confused. And then with lowering the car do i have to worry about corner balancing or throwing off the cars geometry??? Just for the record, im a 22 year old corvette loving porsche mechanic who just wants a daily driver/mountain carver/weekend track racer. Can someone please give me some insight? My goal is to remove some wheel gap while still retaining or improving its handling characteristics all around
Old 05-27-2015, 01:49 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Your question will be answered if you can find out why the GM engineers built the car at that height.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:01 AM
T4Eater
Intermediate

Depends on what answer you want. Autocross guys BREAK THE RULES on common sense. Autocross guys try ANYTHING to get a faster time. If I told them I run 20psi in the rear and 45 up front and beat everyone, half of them would go out and try it. This doesn't mean its safe or beneficial to road coarse or mountain driving. C5z06s setup for autox drop the nose all the way down which in turn limits travel. Not something you want to do going 150mph. Speaking of ride height- I actually came in here to go find that thread. I was trying to unlower my car... and I didn't even lower it that much... Just trying to get a feel for what was stock, then maybe lower it 1/4 inch or so. Is your car stock? Go measure it for me with some tape. In front of the front jacking hole measurement, and just behind the rear jacking hole. People are saying 5'' in the front and 5 and 3/8'' in the rear, but that seems kind of low. Any clarification on this?

People have said that vettes that were taken to and setup by phoenix racing can't even tell that their car was lowered. I can tell you that the alignment I had was great. zero toe in the front, 1/8th inch in the rear. I think camber was F-.08 Rear -.04. Car didn't understeer.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

There are reccomended gm measurements for "best performance" but its all ********. Mind you, as I say that, my car is set at them and then cross-weighted.

If you never bottom out, its always faster to be lower. So on a flat road all the way down is fastest. The issue is in real life in a vette with its 2-3 inches total travel, at any ride height you bottom out the rear from time to time. On the track its all about what makes you faster. On the street, if you drive at street legal speeds, any height the stock bolts will get to will really be fine. If you drive like a nut on the street, over heaves with the rear lowered all the way its very easy to get into the bump stops which sends the rear end all over if you are spinning the tires and increases the chances for your foolishness to get you in trouble.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Corvette Jake
Intermediate

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
Your question will be answered if you can find out why the GM engineers built the car at that height.
Believe me lol i have researched the heck out of why gm designed the car this way. From what i have gathered, the stock setup is to make the driver more comfortable at the cars limits on all types of road surfaces, by making it more forgiving through rough corners and giving it a slight tendancy for under steer (unless you just full throttle through the turn lol) which give the driver more of a sense of control. Right?
Old 05-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Corvette Jake
Intermediate

Is there an aftermarket company that makes slightly shorter shocks for lowering these cars? And do you think those would solve and bottoming out problems?
Old 05-27-2015, 05:19 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by z06corvettekid
Believe me lol i have researched the heck out of why gm designed the car this way. From what i have gathered, the stock setup is to make the driver more comfortable at the cars limits on all types of road surfaces, by making it more forgiving through rough corners and giving it a slight tendancy for under steer (unless you just full throttle through the turn lol) which give the driver more of a sense of control. Right?
That would be also my first "guess". To try to satisfy all types of driving and satisfying none.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 PM
John Holmes
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search for your Z06 owner's video manual on you tube.
Or try this:

One of the things that the people who made the car tell you in the video is that you may lower the car about 1/2" using the stock bolts.
I have done this. Does it help? Who knows? I feel better for having done it though.
My C5Z is track driven only, never on the street.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

OLD news, to get them on the transporters!

frank

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
Old 05-28-2015, 12:18 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Lowered around 1" on stock bolts. You have to get a new alignment right after or the now increased toe will kill your front tires in a week or two. I went for a pFadt Street/Track setup and love it, it woke up the handling and response.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:29 PM
Corvette Jake
Intermediate

T4Eater i will measure the height as soon as it comes back from the body shop, a truck didn't see me next to him when changin lanes and gave my driverside door sone burnout marks ��
Old 05-28-2015, 01:14 PM
gunluvS14
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't over complicated things.
Define your purpose/goal you want to pursuit, pick the appropriate tires/alignment, and go out enjoy the car and road.

If you really want to mess with the ride height, most people who did the suspension geometry calculation founded we are not far off from "ideal" in term of roll center, camber gain/loss during roll. There are few suspension calculators out there, and folks already did the hard part and provide the measurement for us in this community. Good luck

example:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-analyzer.html
Old 05-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you want to do it, at least do it right. Here's a link to the proper way to do it so that you won't have to go out and corner weight it if you 're not going be seriously racing the car.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1576940245

If your car hasn't been lowered or messed with if you do it right you won't have to have it corner weighted, just get it aligned when you are done. If it's been dinked with you really should have to get it corner weighted.

As noted above, don't get greedy, a half to 3/4 of an inch is optimal for performance and also plan on getting it aligned after you do it.

These cars are getting older, so unless you have a garage queen it's going to be hard to get the front spring bolts loose. They tend to bind up and if they are rusted you can damage the spring if you aren't careful.

What is really amazing is how lowering these cars a bit an putting in a serious performance alignment wakes them up. The change in the way the car feels and drives if properly set up is really night and day.

Don't be so concerned that some negative camber will eat your tires, it won't. What eats tires is toe out in the front (racers toe the cars out a bit to make them turn in faster), so make sure you keep a bit of toe in and enjoy the car.

And we tested on autocross course and the car is faster with the car lowered just less than an inch. More wasn't faster despite what you may think.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

When the alignment is done be sitting in the car
Old 05-28-2015, 11:43 PM
Corvette Jake
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the resonses. Does anyone know where i can go get my suspension tuned and corner weighted in socal?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:05 AM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is there an aftermarket company that makes slightly shorter shocks for lowering these cars? And do you think those would solve and bottoming out problems?
Koni shocks are slightly shorter so in order to instaill them you need to lower the car
Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks everyone for the resonses. Does anyone know where i can go get my suspension tuned and corner weighted in socal?
I got this quote from Excelsior Motorsports in Escondido; I can't really justify $600 for an alignment right now, so I'm just going to spend $85 to have my local guy do it:

Thank u for your inquiry . We specialize in road race setups and our cars are mostly pole position cars . We even have our own in house C6 Z06 which we are currently building it to GT2 spec and will be also attending red line time attack events and the corvette challenge . We have a special on our corner balance and street and track alignment which costs $595 . We use a nascar style 4 corner balance machine . Because we have many years of track experience we know how to set up corvettes . Please let us know if have any other questions
Does anybody know offhand how many threads are showing from the factory? I'd like to lower my suspension a bit more as well, but it's in the air and I have taller tires; I don't know if it's been messed with and I don't want to go too low or have it corner weighted.

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 z06 lowering on stock bolts help

Old 05-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003Evo
Koni shocks are slightly shorter so in order to instaill them you need to lower the car
Do you know how much shorter they are? Any part numbers by chance? I have not seen reference to this in the past. It seems most of the threads I have seen have said when you lower you reduce travel almost to the point of being on the bump stop. This would seem to be a potential solution.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:24 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003Evo
I don't know what model Koni's you are using, but I have the 3012's (double adjustable) and they are most certainly not shorter than stock in terms of body length. While they may not have as much travel and you might have to pull up on the control arm to install it, the length of the shock body is, as far as I know essentially the same as the stock shock. If they were any shorter in terms of body length I'm sure somebody would have figured it out by now.

Don't confuse extended length with compressed length.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:34 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

That's what I tell her...all the time!

frank

Originally Posted by Solofast
I don't know what model Koni's you are using, but I have the 3012's (double adjustable) and they are most certainly not shorter than stock in terms of body length. While they may not have as much travel and you might have to pull up on the control arm to install it, the length of the shock body is, as far as I know essentially the same as the stock shock. If they were any shorter in terms of body length I'm sure somebody would have figured it out by now.

Don't confuse extended length with compressed length.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2003 z06 lowering on stock bolts help