Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] fast92 unported vs ported gains?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Default fast92 unported vs ported gains?

hi every one!

how much can be picked up by porting a fast92 on the heads and cam car?

I guess trying to figure out if it worth to port my fast92 intake
Old 06-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

any one?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:10 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

id like to know myself, free bump
Old 06-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

some one must have ported one after there h/c/i?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Your probably interested in before/after results, done in a controlled environment, and maybe Tony Mamo has these. I'm a big advocate, but can't prove it with numbers.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:23 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think have Mamo do a port job on a 92 is worth 10ish horsepower. All the numbers I have ever seen hop back and forth around there.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 904 Likes on 370 Posts

My port jobs on the older 90/92 style intakes double the gains from the swap.....period.

Most guys see around 10-12 RWHP in out of the box trim.....most of my customers see 20-25 RWHP.....that's a significant gain when you consider my porting work is alot less than double the cost of the total cost of the install (more like 25%).

Its kind of a no brainer....if your spending all that time money and effort in the first place get the most from it.

OP.....PM me if you have any questions or email me even better

mamomotorsports@yahoo.com

There is a bit of a lead time now.....I'm pretty covered up in work but assuming this isn't a rush type of situation I should be able to accommodate you.

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
Old 06-09-2015, 06:30 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Not really data, but I had the stock clutch, with no problems, before installing my ported FAST90. Second run to redline caused the pedal to the floor routine. No amount of bleeding helped.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Tony Mamo not sure how some are only getting 10 to 12hp unported I got 19 unported on a 2000 z28 bolt'on & tune only car... same dyno weather condition was close but a little more humid

I thought someone would have stock 92 vs port dyno numbers

here is a swap done by speed from ls6 to fast 92
http://www.speedinc.com/uploads/FAST92.jpg

Last edited by Stroker87; 06-10-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:46 AM
MPM IV
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Its kind of a no brainer....if your spending all that time money and effort in the first place get the most from it.
This pretty much sums up my feelings. I would always wonder what I had left on the table.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MPM IV
This pretty much sums up my feelings. I would always wonder what I had left on the table.
that what i'm trying to figure out but if its only 5 to 7hp for $600 + shipping to have it ported not something I care to do for that little bit extra 10 to 15hp I can see doing it
Old 06-10-2015, 12:50 PM
zeevette
Race Director

It is a pretty easy DIY.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 904 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
Tony Mamo not sure how some are only getting 10 to 12hp unported I got 19 unported on a 2000 z28 bolt'on & tune only car... same dyno weather condition was close but a little more humid

I thought someone would have stock 92 vs port dyno numbers

here is a swap done by speed from ls6 to fast 92
http://www.speedinc.com/uploads/FAST92.jpg
This topic has honestly been beat to death over the last decade.....unfortunately your on the wrong forum to have garnered most of the independent data and countless threads on this subject (I mean countless). Do a search on the "other forum"....have a big bag of popcorn ready.....LOL

Your results are the exception, not the rule.....also who's to say if you changed nothing that day but tuned it better that wasn't worth 6-7 RWHP putting the gains of the swap closer to where I quoted and you can find independently are alot more common (some guys saw single digits btw).

If you carefully examined the runner of your stock FAST and a properly ported one that I handle the difference is night and day and you wouldn't have to be an expert in airflow to realize its fairly compromised in out of the box trim. There is a wedge of plastic that intrudes into the port close to .200 that I remove that goes up one side wall of the port....that's just one of the obvious things I handle. I have seen alot of ported intakes (home grown and shops) and most miss the finer details which all told add nicely to the bottom line. Without a ton of time invested experimenting on a flow bench it would be difficult to find these things and you have to be well versed in porting and the black art of airflow dynamics (messing with an "invisible" entity....LOL).

A newer 102 is actually a good bit better out of the box and you would be surprised how much plastic I take out of one of those....i would venture to say an older 90/92 style I remove 20% more plastic easily.

Check this thread....its pretty informative. Understand I was the first guy in the country to start whittling on these when they first came out.....I kind of pioneered the entire process and have spent more time grinding flowing these over the last decade than any one on the planet. Google "Tony Mamo FAST" if you don't believe me....LOL

Here is the thread thats worth a quick look.....keep in mind this was a 102 FAST and I remove alot more plastic from a FAST 92 mm manifold like we are discussing here.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-102-fast.html

Like I started this thread.....its a no brainer if you want to maximize the airflow gains from the swap.....and the entire reason your installing this item is to do just that. Its very compromised in out of the box trim but yes....its still a step up from stock (which was never designed to be a true performance item). It all depends on how committed you are to optimizing the build (and budget) is what it all comes down to.

If I can be of some assistance guys you know where to find me!

Cheers,
Tony

PS.....Some manifold testing....the best way to test mods to the manifold design is have it parked in front of a set of heads.....the better you do porting it the less restrictive it appears on the flowbench (your net flow numbers thru the intake increase). Flowing a manifold by itself isn't truly representative of whether you increased or decreased performance from the mods performed as it doesn't represent real world conditions very well.

PSS....Note the injector holes blocked off as well as the other runners not being tested (you can see the edges of the white duct tale covering a few of them).....you have to force the test to draw air thru the plenum only just like it would on a running engine.

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-10-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To fast92 unported vs ported gains?

Quick Reply: [Z06] fast92 unported vs ported gains?