Sponsored by:

[Z06] Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:04 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello All! Well my 02Z bit the dust today. Cam/headers car that has been trouble free for years went to zero oil pressure on the way to work this morning. Prior to this I could hear what sounded like marbles in a can tinkling sound that was barely audiable. Sounded nothing like a spun bearing. Would make the sound, then go away, then come back. Anyway about 1/2 mile from work the oil pressure went to zero and the sound got a little louder. Maybe the oil pump went bad????? My question is do I repair the LS6 or go for a LS3 of some type? Maybe the LS3 crate motor? I assume everything bolts right in and the LS6 computer will run everything ok? Headers I think are the same and good to go. Of course if its something minor I will just fix it. If the motor is going to require alot to fix it then the LS3 might be the way to go. Thoughts?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:17 PM
RueBurgundy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought (hope) the marbles in a can sound was normal for these cars? Did it make that sound even when idling? Hope you get it all sorted.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM
dan1546
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RueBurgundy
I thought (hope) the marbles in a can sound was normal for these cars? Did it make that sound even when idling? Hope you get it all sorted.
The sewing machine sound is normal. Marbles in a tin can is often used to describe detonation which is not normal. Just dropping to zero oil pressure sounds like it could be oil pump. Spun bearing will still show pressure generally it will just be low and make a pretty distinct knock.

An ls3 will physically bolt in but you will have to use a converter to work with the stock computer and the reluctor wheel in the ls3.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:30 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Car at shop now.....Will know more later.Hoping its the oil pump, when we put the cam in about 5 years ago I used a Texas Speed high performance pump. Also, While it is apart I plan on replacing the clutch. It has the original clutch in it ( 115k miles) and believe it or not it is fine. It would be dumb not to replace it though. Should I go with the tried and true C5Z clutch or go with the LS7 clutch? I had 3 different C6Z's all stock and the clutch was not that great. My C5Z at the moment is putting 420 to the back tires. That may go up depending on the damage to motor. What do you all think?
Old 06-22-2015, 03:44 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jbp8653
Hello All! Well my 02Z bit the dust today. Cam/headers car that has been trouble free for years went to zero oil pressure on the way to work this morning. Prior to this I could hear what sounded like marbles in a can tinkling sound that was barely audiable. Sounded nothing like a spun bearing. Would make the sound, then go away, then come back. Anyway about 1/2 mile from work the oil pressure went to zero and the sound got a little louder. Maybe the oil pump went bad????? My question is do I repair the LS6 or go for a LS3 of some type? Maybe the LS3 crate motor? I assume everything bolts right in and the LS6 computer will run everything ok? Headers I think are the same and good to go. Of course if its something minor I will just fix it. If the motor is going to require alot to fix it then the LS3 might be the way to go. Thoughts?
A friend few weeks back got a crate LS-3 from Jegs ,I think it was under $5,000 can't remember but was not a bad price .It a GM built motor he got the 480/460 3 year warranty comes with new fuel computer went right in not really a big deal to install he put in a 98 AUTO runs VERY GOOOOOD for the money and the 3 year deal great buy they also sell a GM 505 Hp for I think $5,500 a good deal also.. I think maybe his was $4,300 have to look it up.. What I like if need help call GM and they will help you with whatever ..Cool deal.. Just saying..
Old 06-22-2015, 11:04 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

spun rod bearing i would bet
Old 06-26-2015, 05:01 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Well looks like a spun bearing. Shop has not taken it apart yet but they cut the oil filter in half and there is alot of metal pieces in it. Looks like at this point rather than rebuild the LS6 we are going with the Texas Speed 416 LS2 based short block with my 243 heads. They are going to port the heads and then do a complete valve job. While its apart I am going to put a LS7 clutch in it with a steel flywheel. The cam that is currently in it is a comp 232/236, 595/601, 113. They say this is not enough cam for the bigger cube motor. What do you guys think? This cam in the LS6 did 420 to the tires with stock heads,intake,1 3/4 longtubes with cats, factory titaniums. Car sounded great, ran super good, and would go down the highway in 6th gear with no issues. With the 416 its going to be a whole different animal I know but I dont want it to be a pain in the butt to drive. Give me your thoughts! Also, I think to save money I am going to stick with the factory LS6 intake and throttle body unless that would be a bad idea.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:12 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jbp8653
Well looks like a spun bearing. Shop has not taken it apart yet but they cut the oil filter in half and there is alot of metal pieces in it. Looks like at this point rather than rebuild the LS6 we are going with the Texas Speed 416 LS2 based short block with my 243 heads. They are going to port the heads and then do a complete valve job. While its apart I am going to put a LS7 clutch in it with a steel flywheel. The cam that is currently in it is a comp 232/236, 595/601, 113. They say this is not enough cam for the bigger cube motor. What do you guys think? This cam in the LS6 did 420 to the tires with stock heads,intake,1 3/4 longtubes with cats, factory titaniums. Car sounded great, ran super good, and would go down the highway in 6th gear with no issues. With the 416 its going to be a whole different animal I know but I dont want it to be a pain in the butt to drive. Give me your thoughts! Also, I think to save money I am going to stick with the factory LS6 intake and throttle body unless that would be a bad idea.
A cam is only as good as the heads ,same heads same cam should run as good . Shops want people to build the baldest motor you can build but if it's money deal or the lack of go with you got . What you going for MAXX Hp or a good running motor ,always put in bigger cam later get it on the road .. Just saying..
Old 06-27-2015, 11:22 AM
jbp8653
Drifting

Originally Posted by radar502
A cam is only as good as the heads ,same heads same cam should run as good . Shops want people to build the baldest motor you can build but if it's money deal or the lack of go with you got . What you going for MAXX Hp or a good running motor ,always put in bigger cam later get it on the road .. Just saying..
Good advice
Old 06-28-2015, 07:01 AM
jattz06
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

Go big or go home. Imo I would put a bigger cam and swap the manifold and tb. Might aswell do it now but that's my thought process
Old 06-28-2015, 08:33 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Decided to just fix the LS6 short block. Will do a rebuild and probably will add forged pistons. Will still do the heads and bump the compression a bit. Keep existing comp cam. Will add a LS7 clutch since it will be all apart. Also might as well put some C6Z shocks all the way around since these have 115k miles on them. This will be a ton less than doing a stroker motor. Will pick up power due to head work and compression bump and my stock intake, throttle body, and 1 3/4 Dynatech headers will work fine. Put 420 to the tires as it is. Thinking maybe 460 after we are done.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:05 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like it was pinging before it blew up.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

So what happened? Im gonna go with your probably took out your cam and a lifter. Bearings are prob worn. But not spun unless you really just drove it with no oil pressure.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:13 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Old 07-02-2015, 01:17 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Originally Posted by Johnny wangwang
So what happened? Im gonna go with your probably took out your cam and a lifter. Bearings are prob worn. But not spun unless you really just drove it with no oil pressure.
Still don't know exactly. Car is at a very busy shop and they are doing the best they can. They cut the oil filter in half and found a lot of debris. The motor didn't make very much noise at all before it went to zero oil pressure. The gauge then started bouncing back and forth. Car tried to stall as I was slowing down. They say it was trying to lock up. Who knows. Hopefully I will know soon. He has had it since a week ago Monday. I don't like to call and pester him because the shop is a war zone. Seven lifts, all full, and some with cars under the raised lifts. They are really good so biz is great. Will report back when I know something
Old 07-03-2015, 11:57 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like $ was part of the decision and I can't blame you. When I bought my 04 Z I had a 416 from a camaro that burned up at the track. I wanted to sell the 416 and just use that money to do a few bolt ons. I put both engines up for sale and the LS6 sold quick at $4500. No one wanted to pay the $ I needed for the 416. There is always more costs involved than you think doing a swap and although I like the extra power at the track I would have been perfectly happy with a 450hp LS6 and $8k still in my pocket...well until someone spanked me at the track...
Old 07-04-2015, 10:09 AM
jbp8653
Drifting

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
Sounds like $ was part of the decision and I can't blame you. When I bought my 04 Z I had a 416 from a camaro that burned up at the track. I wanted to sell the 416 and just use that money to do a few bolt ons. I put both engines up for sale and the LS6 sold quick at $4500. No one wanted to pay the $ I needed for the 416. There is always more costs involved than you think doing a swap and although I like the extra power at the track I would have been perfectly happy with a 450hp LS6 and $8k still in my pocket...well until someone spanked me at the track...
My thoughts exactly. The car ran great as it was. Going to the stroker meant things like different cam, are the 1 3/4 longtubes big enough?, is the LS6 intake and throttle body going to get the job done? All this just means more money. Then you have driveline parts to worry about. If I tracked the car, o.k, but this is one of 3 hot rods I am lucky enough to have. I have a 13' ZR1 and a 52' 3100 Chevy pick up with a LS6 in it. I think fixing the LS6, doing the heads, and bumping the compression will be plenty for what I use it for and cost half as much.

Get notified of new replies

To Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2015, 10:20 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

To get the most out of the 416 and to make it worth it IMO, you would need the LS3 intake, bigger TB, 1 7/8" headers, aftermarket radiator, ect...you made the right decision and with keeping $ in your pocket and adding 20hp or so you will be a happy camper and no additional tuning and fiddling to get it to run right. Cheers!
Old 07-04-2015, 04:02 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Why are you planning to use an LS7 clutch if you weren't happy with it in your other cars? Many people aren't happy with the LS7 clutch, and there are too many good alternatives out there to buy a clutch you don't really care for.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:49 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Why are you planning to use an LS7 clutch if you weren't happy with it in your other cars? Many people aren't happy with the LS7 clutch, and there are too many good alternatives out there to buy a clutch you don't really care for.
I have had 3 C6Z's. They where all stock except one had a Formoto tune. Had no trouble with the clutches however I am aware of the issues and I have thought about that exact thing. My C5Z clutch is the original and still good at 115K miles. I would be dumb not to replace it since everything will be all apart. As of now I am going with the LS7 clutch assembly and a new LS6 slave and clutch cylinder. Subject to change however.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!