Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5Z Reliability and Maintenance Costs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 08:13 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

FWIW, as I'm going thru this now, if you think you're going to need tires, order them now, i.e., 1-2+ months ahead of time!

And the choices in the market are either Goodyear or Potenza. That's it. Michelin no longer making OEM sizes.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:35 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Too bad we don't really know what the OP ever decided to do.

For me, its another 15k miles on the continentals since then, and I've lost a little first gear traction. Also, after 20k miles the driving in the snow wasn't too great. On the highway the tires have gotten louder, but it doesn't really bother me yet. Since about 20-25k miles when the traction in first gear started to suffer a little bit I've found myself power-sliding A LOT more intentionally. I honestly can't even believe how much tread I STILL have on these tires.

Still daily driving the car, got an optima battery since then and had to pull apart my headlight switch (again) to fix a small parking light issue.

Brakes still have a ton of meat left on them and are quiet with good bite, no clue what they are because I haven't replaced them in the 40k miles I've owned the car.

I would say aside from gas I've spent maybe 1500-2000 on maintaining and fixing the car in the 4 years I've owned it. That includes new tires once, new headlight switch, LMC5 module and oil changes. I may be estimating high on these costs, I'm really not sure.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:44 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Too bad we don't really know what the OP ever decided to do.

For me, its another 15k miles on the continentals since then, and I've lost a little first gear traction. Also, after 20k miles the driving in the snow wasn't too great. On the highway the tires have gotten louder, but it doesn't really bother me yet. Since about 20-25k miles when the traction in first gear started to suffer a little bit I've found myself power-sliding A LOT more intentionally. I honestly can't even believe how much tread I STILL have on these tires.

Still daily driving the car, got an optima battery since then and had to pull apart my headlight switch (again) to fix a small parking light issue.

Brakes still have a ton of meat left on them and are quiet with good bite, no clue what they are because I haven't replaced them in the 40k miles I've owned the car.

I would say aside from gas I've spent maybe 1500-2000 on maintaining and fixing the car in the 4 years I've owned it. That includes new tires once, new headlight switch, LMC5 module and oil changes. I may be estimating high on these costs, I'm really not sure.
You're driving it in the snow>?!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:01 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
You're driving it in the snow>?!
When I'm lucky!

The very first time I got caught in the snow I had so much fun that when I got home, I turned right back around and drove around for another 30 minutes. The car was perfectly fine, and would only spin and slide when I wanted it to. Which was literally 90% of the time.

Last year was a little tough, and this year I'm sure it will be getting close to useless with these tires being old and worn out.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (12-19-2016)

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5Z Reliability and Maintenance Costs?