Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5Z lift opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:40 PM
sgmz06
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C5Z lift opinion

I just bought a 2003 C5Z and it has no maintenance history so I want to change all the fluids. I have access to lifts on base and wanted the forums opinion on whether these would be safe to use. I guess my first concern is if these will even fit under my car (I'll try it on Tuesday). I've read thread 62 on lifting the C5 and copied and pasted the blurb for "hockey Puck" lifts.

4. ‘Hockey Pucks’ should NOT be used at the FRONT Frame Rail location when lifting the car with a ‘service lift’. The presumably larger flat rectangular ‘service lift’ ‘pad’ is to be placed with its long side parallel with and at or immediately forward of the front ‘hockey puck’ AREA (note: this also assures a slightly higher rear end for proper oil draining from the oil pan).

any advice/assistance is greatly appreciated.
thanks,
David
Old 07-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

With no sense of scale, I would imagine those wont fit under your car as they look beefy. I have worked on my buddys c5z on his garage lift many many times always with pucks and we are all still alive after numerous motor/drivetrain removals and reinstalls.

just drive it onto some 2x8's or 2x10's and it should clear, watch the door when you get out as it will be close to the lift unless its heavily offset.

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact rake of the car draining oil. It will make a difference but if you change it regularly it isn't going to end the world if you leave a half a quart in the car.

a rough clearance measurement. stock c5 rockers are roughly 5.5 inches off the ground if it isnt slammed. The rocker facia adds another half inch. So you have about 5" of clearance for the lift arms. the puck is about 1" thick so that means the arm heads need to be under 4.5" to fit. if the car is lowered all the way on stock bolts you loose about an inch.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:40 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

And why can't hockey pucks be used in the front lifting point locations?
Old 07-06-2015, 02:42 AM
sgmz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Socko
With no sense of scale, I would imagine those wont fit under your car as they look beefy. I have worked on my buddys c5z on his garage lift many many times always with pucks and we are all still alive after numerous motor/drivetrain removals and reinstalls.

just drive it onto some 2x8's or 2x10's and it should clear, watch the door when you get out as it will be close to the lift unless its heavily offset.

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact rake of the car draining oil. It will make a difference but if you change it regularly it isn't going to end the world if you leave a half a quart in the car.

a rough clearance measurement. stock c5 rockers are roughly 5.5 inches off the ground if it isnt slammed. The rocker facia adds another half inch. So you have about 5" of clearance for the lift arms. the puck is about 1" thick so that means the arm heads need to be under 4.5" to fit. if the car is lowered all the way on stock bolts you loose about an inch.
Socko- thanks for the advice and opinions. I'm going to try the 2x10's and see how that works. I'll let you know how it goes. My plan is to do it Wednesday.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 AM
maroon88iroc
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2-post & 4-post lift at my house and lift both my C5 Z and C6 often. I always use the corvette lift pucks that sit in the slot on the frame rail and put the lift pad under that which has worked well for me. My car is slammed s I have to drive up onto two 2x10s I built for each side of the front and then jack the rear up with a jack on the cradle so I can get the lift legs under the car.

From the pic you posted there is no way those lift pads will fit under the car. My lift they are recessed so the pad is about the same height from the ground as the yellow box tubing of the lift feet in your pic.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:32 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the hobby shop by the NEX. I use there two-post for my Z and I have never had a clearance issue.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:00 AM
sgmz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808EB03Z06
Try the hobby shop by the NEX. I use there two-post for my Z and I have never had a clearance issue.
So i went today and and changed my differential, transmission, oil, and air filter. I just bought the car and as stated previously I didn't have any maintenance records so i figured better safe than sorry. The Transmission fluid didn't look to bad (not that I have any idea what I'm looking at). As far as differential fluid...holy crap that stunk.

No way the lift was going to fit under the car but the shop had these mini wood ramps you can drive up to lift your car just enough. I think pulling up on those mini ramps was the hardest part. so now i'm amsoiled up and ready to go...

BTW- seems like everywhere I go someone has to talk ****. in the garage a guy with a Audi kept telling me he could take me on the autobahn "you got a fast car but i can take you once we reach 100"

thanks for everybody's help!!!

Last edited by sgmz06; 07-11-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:08 AM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sgmz06
So i went today and and changed my differential, transmission, oil, and air filter. I just bought the car and as stated previously I didn't have any maintenance records so i figured better safe than sorry. The Transmission fluid didn't look to bad (not that I have any idea what I'm looking at). As far as differential fluid...holy crap that stunk.

No way the lift was going to fit under the car but the shop had these mini wood ramps you can drive up to lift your car just enough. I think pulling up on those mini ramps was the hardest part. so now i'm amsoiled up and ready to go...

BTW- seems like everywhere I go someone has to talk ****. in the garage a guy with a Audi kept telling me he could take me on the autobahn "you got a fast car but i can take you once we reach 100"

thanks for everybody's help!!!
Good to see you got it up there. That is one issue In have by Pearl as well. Every swinging dick in a mustang or semi-fast (or so they think) car has to talk **** to me. about 95% of them shut the hell up once I start it and they here the cam lope in it. Maybe once I get a different cat-back for the Ti's they might here me coming from a little further away and will leave me alone from the get go.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:45 PM
XotiK ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
And why can't hockey pucks be used in the front lifting point locations?
I was wondering that same thing. I haven't seen a response but am interests in hearing a reply.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:36 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

a guy with a Audi kept telling me he could take me on the autobahn "you got a fast car but i can take you once we reach 100"
He better have an R8 or that's not happening
Old 07-12-2015, 12:39 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I use the permanent pods with no issues.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:45 PM
sgmz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by XotiK ZO6
I was wondering that same thing. I haven't seen a response but am interests in hearing a reply.
I never said you can't lift front with pucks. That was copied and pasted from the C5 tech lift thread. That's why I was asking for opinions.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:49 PM
sgmz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808EB03Z06
Good to see you got it up there. That is one issue In have by Pearl as well. Every swinging dick in a mustang or semi-fast (or so they think) car has to talk **** to me. about 95% of them shut the hell up once I start it and they here the cam lope in it. Maybe once I get a different cat-back for the Ti's they might here me coming from a little further away and will leave me alone from the get go.
We'll have to get together sometime. I have the Bassani exhaust so I'm not a big fan of the neighbors when I start it up. That's the only mod on my car.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:16 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

We'll have to get together sometime. I have the Bassani exhaust so I'm not a big fan of the neighbors when I start it up. That's the only mod on my car.
Absolutely. I am getting my new shocks and rear sway bar in the next week or so and will have the car back up and moving then. You should bring your Z out and autocross with us on sundays at the stadium. It isn't a lot of speed, but it is really fun and is a way to flog the car some. We start up again on Aug. 2nd if you are truly interested.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:55 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

I never said you can't lift front with pucks. That was copied and pasted from the C5 tech lift thread. That's why I was asking for opinions.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The engineers put that front lift location there for a reason...to use for lifting the vehicle. Whoever wrote that is seriously misinformed.

I carry 4 homemade hockey puck drilled with an eye bolt "jack pads" for when it has to be lifted. With the correct size eyebolt, you can put it in the slot and turn 90*. I've even forgotten to take them out after going for a drive and they were still attached when I realized I forgot to take them out.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:58 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PLRX
I use the permanent pods with no issues.

Ummmm...what's with the hanging 2 liter water filled bottles? I'm guessing it's for letting you know when not to lift the vehicle any higher, but I've never seen that before...usually it's tennis ***** tied to a string.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Ummmm...what's with the hanging 2 liter water filled bottles? I'm guessing it's for letting you know when not to lift the vehicle any higher, but I've never seen that before...usually it's tennis ***** tied to a string.
That'sfo r the flies, they go away. I do not know why, never researched it, but it works. Learned that from an old man back in the 80s.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z lift opinion

Old 07-14-2015, 02:54 PM
sgmz06
Instructor

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The engineers put that front lift location there for a reason...to use for lifting the vehicle. Whoever wrote that is seriously misinformed.

I carry 4 homemade hockey puck drilled with an eye bolt "jack pads" for when it has to be lifted. With the correct size eyebolt, you can put it in the slot and turn 90*. I've even forgotten to take them out after going for a drive and they were still attached when I realized I forgot to take them out.
Great idea. Do you know what size eyebolt?
Old 07-14-2015, 07:31 PM
sgmz06
Instructor

i would come check it out. it sounds like fun but when I watched the video it looked like mostly foreign cars participating.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:02 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Great idea. Do you know what size eyebolt?
Check out post 11. I don't have the washers but they are similar to mine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-vette.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5Z lift opinion