Sponsored by:

[Z06] RIP 2003 w/ 115k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Piranha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default RIP 2003 w/ 115k miles

12 years, 115k miles, modded to 505hp, several track days, and untold fun! Broken lifter or cam bearing means a total rebuild and that's more than it is still worth so getting a 2016 Z51 Coupe. It's been fun hanging out in this forum but I'll be switching to the C7 room from now on... See you out on the road ~~~waves~~~
Old 07-25-2015, 10:02 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

So, I have to ask... What are you doing with the C5Z?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:39 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if it's in good shape it's still worth 10ish even with a popped motor

ebay it
Old 07-26-2015, 12:32 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

No way it costs more to fix than it is worth. Rationalize your new purchase...
Old 07-26-2015, 11:45 AM
acebowler1
Intermediate

When I decided to part with my 75, it had 209k miles, needed the headlight vacuum canisters replaced, the windows did not go down, needed most of the interior, could use a paint job, and had a number of water leaks in the rain. I put a listing up on Craigslist and sold it for $4500 in three weeks to a kid in Daytona, Fl. that wanted a C-3 project really bad to come across the state twice to check out my car. My point is anything is possible regarding your old one.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:52 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by danziger
No way it costs more to fix than it is worth. Rationalize your new purchase...
wanna bet....trade in or selling on a running C5 Z06 ...is $10K if you are lucky in excellent condition..this needs a motor...a new motor to build back like it was plus tuning will run more than that....I know and my quote was discounted....then figure in the costs down the road with a car having that many miles...gotta stop the bleeding somewhere. If he builds it himself it will still be up there over 50% of value

oh and all the cheap fkers on Ebay, THIS FORUM and CL want the whole car or parts for nothing plus free shipping

BTW...anyone need some parts from a 2002 with 180K on it??

Last edited by pewter99; 07-26-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:06 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
wanna bet....trade in or selling on a running C5 Z06 ...is $10K if you are lucky in excellent condition..this needs a motor...a new motor to build back like it was plus tuning will run more than that....I know and my quote was discounted....then figure in the costs down the road with a car having that many miles...gotta stop the bleeding somewhere. If he builds it himself it will still be up there over 50% of value

oh and all the cheap fkers on Ebay, THIS FORUM and CL want the whole car or parts for nothing plus free shipping

the average close on ebay or manheim for a nice 02 with 115k is around 15k. the reason dealers offer 10 is because they figure 14 worst case at auction + fees + profit = a 10k offer

with a blown motor you do cater to more of the fix it race it crowd but if the car is in otherwise good shape it's going to pull a decent close on ebay

not sure what your rant is all about, selling cars is pretty easy

do agree that if you lost interest in the car you may as well sell it blown unless you can score a cheap deal on an engine and a free weekend to install it

this forum and CL are not where i would list any car with a popped motor, especially CL. fix it cars attract big time bottom feeders 9/10 times on that site. at least with ebay you get national exposure and the sale is easy via cash or a wire
Old 07-26-2015, 05:43 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If the OP is at 505 hp sounds like he could/would have some supporting mods that might make just an new engine possible with out all the extras. Just sayin

You sound pissed off brother, hope your day gets better lol

What's for sale off the 02 ?
Old 07-26-2015, 05:54 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

wanna bet??
His C5Z only has 115K and a bunch of supporting stuff to get 505HP. Even with a blown motor, the value can't be under $7K as it sits. Even if the entire engine needs a rebuild, a reputable shop can do it for $5K. Heck, you could drop a TSP stroker in there for under $10K including labor.

Once sorted out, he is back above the $15K mark in value easy...
Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you just dropped a used LS1 or 2 in it, you could easily get 15 for it, Invest or not invest is the question
Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Just had the same thing happen to my 02Z last month. Cam lobe wiped out. Rebuilding the LS6 and adding forged 11.5:1 forged pistons. Doing the heads, bigger cam, and while its apart putting in a new LS7 clutch. Car has 115k miles and is really, really clean. All this is going to run around 6-7k. I figured the car to be worth around 17k before the engine issues. Now with alot of new stuff it should be worth a bit more. I never considered scrapping it for a second.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a lifter failure a month ago and decided to build the whole motor. I am building a motor atm, 346 with forged rods diamond pistons, cnced heads, new cam, arp studs, no corners being cut. Costs $8K plus hp tuners and tuning. So just over 9k total, though i assume a car with 505hp is already tuned so can save $650 i spent. That 8k is everything, every gasket, timing chain, oil pump, break-in oil, wideband, my whole job. So it isn't literally over 10k.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jbp8653
Just had the same thing happen to my 02Z last month. Cam lobe wiped out. Rebuilding the LS6 and adding forged 11.5:1 forged pistons. Doing the heads, bigger cam, and while its apart putting in a new LS7 clutch. Car has 115k miles and is really, really clean. All this is going to run around 6-7k. I figured the car to be worth around 17k before the engine issues. Now with alot of new stuff it should be worth a bit more. I never considered scrapping it for a second.
The only pistons i saw that could get me close to 11.5:1 are the wiseco +4cc dropsins that don't work with our rods? I'm just cutting, apparently i found out today a ton off, the heads and shooting for 11.25. I just had the cam built for that.

I started with a piston only build and ended up just ordering a new short block, even though mine looks good, cause i couldn't find anyone local with time to take my money. Figure i can sell my 42k shortblock for a few bucks sometime, or build a spare.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:55 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko
The only pistons i saw that could get me close to 11.5:1 are the wiseco +4cc dropsins that don't work with our rods? I'm just cutting, apparently i found out today a ton off, the heads and shooting for 11.25. I just had the cam built for that.

I started with a piston only build and ended up just ordering a new short block, even though mine looks good, cause i couldn't find anyone local with time to take my money. Figure i can sell my 42k shortblock for a few bucks sometime, or build a spare.
I found out today that they are going to use LS3 rods with full floating pins. They also told me it will be more like 11:1. They are supposed to be Wiseco forged pistons.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:24 AM
Piranha
Racer

Default Just for closure...

First off, I'm no mechanic, so I would have to pay someone to fix it so that means a lot of labor costs. I got an estimate for a full rebuild with forged internals of $11k (that includes 30 hrs labor, shop supplies, and 7.5% tax). Seemed fair after looking around. I know some of you may think I could get it done cheaper but there aren't that many options arround me and these guys only work on Vets, Camaros, and Caddys. They did all the work in 2010 that added 100hp (intake, CNC heads, rods, valve train, custom cam, headers, exhaust, clutch, shocks, tunnel plate, tuning, labor, shop supplies, and tax for just over $8k). The car was only worth about $16-17k before (and its not in what I would call excellent condition), so to put $11k into it to get it back to where it was, with no warranty and knowing other things are probably going to start breaking with 115k mi and since I do track it, I figured a new one was worth exploring. The shop owner offered me $5k but I sold it to a co-worker/friend for $7k who has experience doing rebuilds and he is exploring some of the options mentioned above but hasn't decided yet. So, with an employee discount of almost $9k and adding a few thousand more toward a down payment, I can get a new Z51 for about $700/mo (less than my '03 payment back then), so that's what I'm doing. Already ordered and will arrive early Sept. Can't wait!!!

Last edited by Piranha; 08-08-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To RIP 2003 w/ 115k miles

Quick Reply: [Z06] RIP 2003 w/ 115k miles