Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Maybe buying an 03 Z06. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:05 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Maybe buying an 03 Z06. What to look for?

I have a C4. Thinking about moving up to a c5 Z06, help me out.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:47 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

How about taking it on a test drive and see if you like it ?
Old 07-26-2015, 07:02 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssrallyred
How about taking it on a test drive and see if you like it ?
I'm sure I'm going to like it, I'm just looking for some input on what I should be looking for.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:26 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Find out if the column lock bypass has been done (it's a cheap fix if it hasn't, but you'll want to know).
Find out if the valve springs have been replaced (see the sticky in this subforum). If they haven't, and you decide you would want to replace them, then factor this cost into your buying decision.
Listen for a whine or any other non-normal noises from the diff.
The clutch pedal should feel firm and predictable on the way down and up. If it's not, it might just need a fluid flush or it could be something more serious.
The transmission might feel a little notchy, depending on the shifter being used, but it shouldn't fight you going in or out of any gear (with the possible exception of reverse).
If the seller OK's it, and you have the guts, wind out the engine in 2nd or 3rd gear. It should pull hard all the way to redline without hesitation.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:30 PM
brplatz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check for valve spring replacement. Mods, etc.

Read this to get familiar https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tions-faq.html
Old 07-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Find out if the column lock bypass has been done (it's a cheap fix if it hasn't, but you'll want to know).
Find out if the valve springs have been replaced (see the sticky in this subforum). If they haven't, and you decide you would want to replace them, then factor this cost into your buying decision.
Listen for a whine or any other non-normal noises from the diff.
The clutch pedal should feel firm and predictable on the way down and up. If it's not, it might just need a fluid flush or it could be something more serious.
The transmission might feel a little notchy, depending on the shifter being used, but it shouldn't fight you going in or out of any gear (with the possible exception of reverse).
If the seller OK's it, and you have the guts, wind out the engine in 2nd or 3rd gear. It should pull hard all the way to redline without hesitation.
Adding to this list:

- The door control modules can have problems. Make sure you test the door locks. Specifically, press the driver side door lock and make sure passenger side locks. Press again to make sure it unlocks
- Some more advice on the diff... the driver side rear differential axle seal is known for leaking. It is really easy to tell if this car has the problem... get down on the ground at the back of the car and take a look at the suspension cradle. If you see any dark discoloration on the driver side, then the shaft seal is leaking now or leaked at some time and was fixed. If fixed, ask seller for paperwork
- This shouldn't be a problem on a 2003 I believe but 2002 and below had problems with fuel sending units. Make sure the gas gauge is reading correctly. If you're really serious about buying, ask seller to fill tank and see if fuel gage moves as expected.
- I recommend turning on A/C and heating. When A/C is on, make sure it blows nice cold air. When heat is on, make sure you get heat. What you're looking for is making sure you don't find a situation where you get A/C on one side and heat on the other when the A/C is on. This happened to me shortly after I bought mine
- Have seller turn on headlights and let headlights come out of their buckets and go back in. Listen for any grinding noises that don't sound right. Do this twice, once for each side. The headlight gears are known to fail because they're plastic.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out
Old 07-27-2015, 08:57 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Another vote to check out the valve springs!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Tires can be fairly expensive and choices are limited on the stock set-up, so factor that into the price equation.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:59 PM
EA-sports
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerkyboy
Another vote to check out the valve springs!
How do you check the valve springs?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:21 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 224 Posts

To me looks like lot's stuff can be wrong with the Z0-6 Corvette but with all cars has it been taken care of and how many people have owned it ,have the fluids been changed is the brake fluid black and clutch fluid black also if auto has that been changed?? . The big deal has it been taken care of .The life of this C-5 in many ways depends on keeping them well serviced always going to have small stuff go south it's the big ticked stuff to look out for brakes - trans - diffs. ETC...... ..
Old 07-28-2015, 10:03 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the input, the car is real clean and has 53,000 km, mods are headers and mufflers removed. Drives tight and straight. The drone from the removal of the mufflers is loud. Still negotiating. My c4 also with a 6 sp seams to shift longer from first to second, maybe it's just me or I'm not taking in to account the extra power.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:56 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990TorchRed
Thanks for all the input, the car is real clean and has 53,000 km, mods are headers and mufflers removed. Drives tight and straight. The drone from the removal of the mufflers is loud. Still negotiating. My c4 also with a 6 sp seams to shift longer from first to second, maybe it's just me or I'm not taking in to account the extra power.
I moved from a C-4 a super nice C-4 to a C-5 Z-16 Z06 and the C-5 Z is way easy to work on and parts way easy to find very nice ride you won't be sorry and to get one and with 53,00 miles should be in good shape , if you take care of it I have seen 200,000 on some still in good shape 53,000 nothing ,like most need a deal ..Good luck.. The Z the way to go for sure..

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe buying an 03 Z06. What to look for?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Maybe buying an 03 Z06. What to look for?