Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5 Z06 ride compared to Evo 9

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 03:39 PM
toyotabike
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C5 Z06 ride compared to Evo 9

I am pretty set on getting a C5Z for my next ride or maybe a C6 Z51. Had a Evo 9 with swift r springs and shocks. Loved that it felt like a race car and took it on 2-3 hour drives with no complaints in comfort. How does the C5Z ride compare? I want a tight handling car with torque. Is it hard to see over the hood if your on the shorter side? Only rode as a passenger and car felt quick.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Ark5point7
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What shocks? Swift springs are some of the best quality springs out there. In my opinion, they are the best. The consistency in their spring rates is unmatched.

The ride is OK in this car in my opinion. The stock suspension seems to like to bump steer. It's kind of bumpy but fairly low body roll.

I can't compare to an Evo but I can compare to an IS300 and MR2.

MR2 was a 1992 with 4k/8k Tein Flex coilovers. Very stiff ride, even bumped by head on the ceiling once.

IS300 had Endless Zeal coilovers with, IIRC, 12k rates. Rode very well. Couldn't tell it was on coilovers and rode very well. Minimal body roll.

The Z06 is in the middle of the two in terms of ride quality. Unlike most stock cars, I don't feel any need to change this suspension immediately. I'd be fine with it for the next year or two. Many people upgrade to C6Z shocks which apparently greatly improve performance and ride quality.

My Z06 has power seats, I think most, if not all, do. You can raise them pretty high if you can't see. However, the dimensions of this car are bigger than I first imagined and makes tight accurate parking difficult compared to the ease of the MR2 and IS300. I haven't had it too long so maybe I just need to get used to it.

At first, I thought driving with the enormous looking hood would be hard, but it's gotten to be easy over time.

Overall, I'm happy with the factory performance and ride quality of the suspension, but if you want a comfy ride, you may not be. I'd have no problems driving it for multiple hours. Seats are more important to upgrade in this car than the suspension, especially if you plan to stay in them.

And don't forget, this car has leaf springs.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:21 PM
toyotabike
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the stock blistein shocks that came in the MR models.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 AM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Z06 more comfy by a mile, i can drive in my c5z for hours and never get tired, plus very ergonomic...oh yeah it has cruise control.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:26 AM
Xx_Black-out
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'12

My wife and I drove my car from California to South Carolina in a little over 2 days, no complaints....and that was on Pfadt Racing coilovers
Old 08-28-2015, 12:29 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

z06 is more comfy, evo is really a better track setup with all the current support and awd.

the z06 has some real perks though and i chose one over an evo for a few reasons

1. didn't want to mod another car. the c5z is kind of like an s2000 on steroids. balanced car that's really smooth and easy to handle. not quite as precise as a 2k but close with a good tire and good alignment

2. the c5z tends to be more reliable

3. cost of maintaining is less

stock the evos don't really wow people but those car suck the mods and mod money out of you. i just didn't want to put 20-30k into a 15-20k car and saw that being a very real possibility if i grabbed an evo 8 or 9
Old 08-28-2015, 12:42 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
z06 is more comfy, evo is really a better track setup with all the current support and awd.

the z06 has some real perks though and i chose one over an evo for a few reasons

1. didn't want to mod another car. the c5z is kind of like an s2000 on steroids. balanced car that's really smooth and easy to handle. not quite as precise as a 2k but close with a good tire and good alignment

2. the c5z tends to be more reliable

3. cost of maintaining is less

stock the evos don't really wow people but those car suck the mods and mod money out of you. i just didn't want to put 20-30k into a 15-20k car and saw that being a very real possibility if i grabbed an evo 8 or 9
You forgot to mention another (and fairly significant) advantage the C5Z has - aside from the out of the box power/torque advantage, you have better weight distribution AND lower weight - I believe the C5Z is around 3150 lbs vs. 3250-3300 lbs for the evo depending on tranny. While that doesn't seem like a significant difference when you couple that w/ the already substantial power advantage the power/weight ratio is already very biased in the C5Z's favor BEFORE you even get into mods.

You can put more rubber on the C5Z too....although that's less of a concern w/ an AWD car.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Awes3939
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotabike
I am pretty set on getting a C5Z for my next ride or maybe a C6 Z51. Had a Evo 9 with swift r springs and shocks. Loved that it felt like a race car and took it on 2-3 hour drives with no complaints in comfort. How does the C5Z ride compare? I want a tight handling car with torque. Is it hard to see over the hood if your on the shorter side? Only rode as a passenger and car felt quick.
I just got my C5Z a month ago. I also had an Evo 9 and I had brand new Fortune Auto 500 coilovers w/ Swift Springs on it. I'd take the Corvette 9 times out of 10. It's so much better in the Vette. Given my Z06 has 11,000 miles and is practically new, it rides incredible. Handles amazing too. My IX had 450whp and still....I think my Z06 with just Vararam intake & Powerduct would be really close with it. Not to mention, the RPM difference on the highway for cruising ... Evo 75mph = what, 3500rpms? and the Vette is at like 1700 rpms haha. The torque off the line...well, its no comparison.

Oh well, I still love Evo's and always will. But the Z06 is just overall a much more refined car.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:15 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
You forgot to mention another (and fairly significant) advantage the C5Z has - aside from the out of the box power/torque advantage, you have better weight distribution AND lower weight - I believe the C5Z is around 3150 lbs vs. 3250-3300 lbs for the evo depending on tranny. While that doesn't seem like a significant difference when you couple that w/ the already substantial power advantage the power/weight ratio is already very biased in the C5Z's favor BEFORE you even get into mods.

You can put more rubber on the C5Z too....although that's less of a concern w/ an AWD car.
oh stock vs stock? yea i have no idea which would be the quicker car but on a more open track it could easily be a c5z

it's modded where the evos really turn into monsters. that really good center diff and awd simply put down the traction and traction is what creates speed. you can make more hp than you ever need with either platform
Old 08-31-2015, 01:52 PM
artinist
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotabike

heh, we walk the same path buddy. i also sold my evo 9 and going to c5z. its the only other true car out there. I hate all these new heavy overpowered uncontrollable and numb dual clutch cars.

I will be going with Stance coilovers.

i drove the c6 and its it feels heavier and softer so i am not going that route. i really suggest test driving both.

bizzmeister from los angeles who just made the same move he has a silver c5z already.

Last edited by artinist; 08-31-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 PM
directnosfogger
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My best friend has an evo that puts down about 480 wheel. He has fortune coilovers and a ton of other stuff. My z supercharged putting down about 550 wheel with 3.73's. The two cars are night and day difference. The evo feels fast because of the extremely low gearing. Unfortunately, anything over 100 mph is a waste in the evo because it's geared way too low. You would need to alter the gearing in the evo to like a 3.08 or something to even stand a chance with a z on the highway.

We do mexico runs every so often and he can keep up in his 2nd and 3rd with the awd, but once I wind out 3rd gear I'm at least a bus length apart. 4th gear is just putting salt in the wound at that point.

He can out run me in twisties though. My vette isn't setup for turns. You would come to find a stock c5z needs a little updating in the form of suspension but the active handling is where it really can take you through a turn vs awd.

Interior wise the evo seats will keep you planted a lot better and the leather is much nicer. The c5z seats don't have any lumbar support or any other support for that matter. I've gone long drives in both cars and I can't really say i'm uncomfortable in either vehicle. The interior in both vehicle is pretty plain. The stock c5 steering wheel is god awful.. coming from an evo you will feel like a truck driver.

At the end of the day it's what you want out of a car. You will not get a turbo feel like an evo in any other car especially with its handling. The next thing would be a 911 or gtr. If you are moving to c5z you will have flat out torque which will make acceleration feel much smoother because it isn't waiting for a high cam to come on. Hopefully that answers your questions. Two different cars..but I'd take a 500+ z over a 500+ evo all day. Much more fun in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:01 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by directnosfogger
My best friend has an evo that puts down about 480 wheel. He has fortune coilovers and a ton of other stuff. My z supercharged putting down about 550 wheel with 3.73's. The two cars are night and day difference. The evo feels fast because of the extremely low gearing. Unfortunately, anything over 100 mph is a waste in the evo because it's geared way too low. You would need to alter the gearing in the evo to like a 3.08 or something to even stand a chance with a z on the highway.

We do mexico runs every so often and he can keep up in his 2nd and 3rd with the awd, but once I wind out 3rd gear I'm at least a bus length apart. 4th gear is just putting salt in the wound at that point.

He can out run me in twisties though. My vette isn't setup for turns. You would come to find a stock c5z needs a little updating in the form of suspension but the active handling is where it really can take you through a turn vs awd.

Interior wise the evo seats will keep you planted a lot better and the leather is much nicer. The c5z seats don't have any lumbar support or any other support for that matter. I've gone long drives in both cars and I can't really say i'm uncomfortable in either vehicle. The interior in both vehicle is pretty plain. The stock c5 steering wheel is god awful.. coming from an evo you will feel like a truck driver.

At the end of the day it's what you want out of a car. You will not get a turbo feel like an evo in any other car especially with its handling. The next thing would be a 911 or gtr. If you are moving to c5z you will have flat out torque which will make acceleration feel much smoother because it isn't waiting for a high cam to come on. Hopefully that answers your questions. Two different cars..but I'd take a 500+ z over a 500+ evo all day. Much more fun in my opinion.
active handling will actually slow you down, or at least it does me. you have a margin of safety i suppose if you make mistakes in your lines but it's intrusive as the car dances through its natural motions

same with drag racing even and that's novice work. you're usually 1-2tenths faster with it off as even comp mode likes to intrude if the car even starts to kick out
Old 09-01-2015, 01:20 PM
iHog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own an 03 C5Z and my friend owns a 2014 Evo X. Obviously driven both and have roadtripped a few times to Cali in his Evo. That being said my car is more comfortable, however both aren't the ideal roadtrip car.

I've taken my C5Z on a few smaller trips up to the Grand Canyon(about 4 hours) and the ride was fine, cornering was tight on the back roads and the low-end torque of the LS6 is fantastic.

In the Evo, the surge of power sure is fun, however below 4k there is little to no torque or power. Gearing is also very different meaning cruising at 80 on the highway for me is around 2k revs, where he's at 4k revs. Keep into effect aftermarket exhaust drone and longer distances in the evo are horrible.

Cars are completely different. In driving both cars multiple times, I would choose C5Z 100% of the time. The low end torque of the LS6 is great for daily application, and the aftermarket(as well with the Evo) is very large.

Best of luck with your choice
Old 09-09-2015, 12:02 AM
idahoskiguy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Came from an STi to C5 Z06

My daily driver for six years was a 2008 STi on Stage 1 with a COBB tune. Loved that car rain, snow or shine it was just so capable and quick. Sold it in 2014 and got a 2009 BMW 535xi, great car but it lacked a soul and was boring. Decided it was time to try a Corvette and drove a few C6 coupes. Stumbled upon a one owner 2001 C5 Z06 with 21,500 miles and dumped the 535 to have the Z06. The Z06 is a great gas and go factory hot rod that handles well, definitely not as capable as the STi for all weather use but that's OK, that is why I have a pick-up truck.

Go for the Z06.....you will not be sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 ride compared to Evo 9

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5 Z06 ride compared to Evo 9