[Z06] Side trim piece option

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Vistance
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Side trim piece option

[Deleted]

Last edited by Vistance; 12-16-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:19 PM
L_popo
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vistance
Sorry for probably a newbie question, but I've noticed there seem to be two different styles of Z06 that I've seen. There's one that looks like this:

And then the other kind like this:

Mostly I'm pointing out that trim piece that comes out just behind the front wheel on the side of the car and goes down the door on the second, that is completely smooth on the first one. Is it a door guard that was optional, something only done on certain years, do some people just remove it because they think it looks better, or something else? I never paid that much attention to it before but just happened to notice it today.
They are called body side moldings, they were an option on C5 Z06's and i'm pretty sure coupes also. I think they're meant to protect the door from side angle impacts at low speed, supposed to take some of the impact out.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:17 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

BSMs (body side moldings) were an option on Z06s, coupes, and convertibles. I don't know if they were available during the entire production run or not. Possibly they functioned as door guards, I've heard claims (unsubstantiated) that they had an aerodynamic function, or maybe they were just a styling option. Some people love 'em, others don't. If you buy a car that has them and you don't like them, you can remove them yourself with a bit of care, a little patience, some monofilament fishing line, a hairdryer, and a little WD-40.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

They are door ding protectors, nothing more. Anyone who says they are an aerodynamic aid is pulling your leg. They were an option on all C5 years and models for about $85. from the factory. I pulled mine off, it was easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Side trim piece option

Quick Reply: [Z06] Side trim piece option