Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Newbie. C5 Z06 right window making scratching noise? Are there guides that failed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Slam
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie. C5 Z06 right window making scratching noise? Are there guides that failed?

Looking to understand why my passenger window all of the sudden started making scratching noise yesterday.

Are there guides like the old cars with felt glued to a metal pad that holds the window while it track up and down?
Old 10-07-2015, 04:26 AM
Slam
3rd Gear

Addition: this is when I roll the window down or back up. I am not using the window now until I understand what may be making the scratching noise. Sounds like metal on glass.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:20 AM
philadd
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Most likely the cable is fraying. When it does, the individual wires of the cable rub against other parts, causing loud, awful scratching sounds. Only way to be sure is pull the door apart and visually check the cable. If it is the cable, you'll need to replace the regulator and motor, as they're sold as one piece.
The following users liked this post:
Slam (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 12:54 PM
NotLawReview
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, cable is about to go... Mine lasted about 3 weeks before it failed and the window was stuck down... The replacement is an easy job and there are some youtube videos out there that walk you through the replacement no problem.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Slam
3rd Gear

I really appreciate the reply.

I'll just order one today so when I open the panel I'm ready.

Thanks,

Slam

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie. C5 Z06 right window making scratching noise? Are there guides that failed?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Newbie. C5 Z06 right window making scratching noise? Are there guides that failed?