C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Unreal

Old 11-03-2015, 06:17 AM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree that is sucks for you OP. But depending on the state, I'm unsure if Nevada is one of these states. There are NO fault states where if you are involved in a collision of any kind regardless of fault its your responsibility/your insurance responsibility to fix it. However this is a county vehicle that I am sure is insured. Most large counties or municipalities are self insured, meaning they have large policies especially for fleet vehicles with extremely high deductibles.

For instance I work for a municipality that is rather large for my area as a Police Officer. When our city vehicles are involved in a collision regardless of fault our city pays for it. The insurance deductible is $50,000. So the County should hopefully fix your car at a repair shop of your choice and fix it until you are satisfied.

I do not see that as being totaled, but that also doesn't mean the insurance company will take the added "mods/upgrades" as adding value to the car. If you wish to have added value you may want to check into having a stated value policy. Its definitely worth buying the car back if they total it...my brother did on his SS Camaro he had and made a LOT of money by doing so. He was able to purchase a C5Z and hasn't looked back.

I hope it works out for you OP, but don't just take their BS lying down, fight back and get the result that you are happy with!!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM
DVUSz06
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferg03 Z06
I agree that is sucks for you OP. But depending on the state, I'm unsure if Nevada is one of these states. There are NO fault states where if you are involved in a collision of any kind regardless of fault its your responsibility/your insurance responsibility to fix it. However this is a county vehicle that I am sure is insured. Most large counties or municipalities are self insured, meaning they have large policies especially for fleet vehicles with extremely high deductibles.

For instance I work for a municipality that is rather large for my area as a Police Officer. When our city vehicles are involved in a collision regardless of fault our city pays for it. The insurance deductible is $50,000. So the County should hopefully fix your car at a repair shop of your choice and fix it until you are satisfied.

I do not see that as being totaled, but that also doesn't mean the insurance company will take the added "mods/upgrades" as adding value to the car. If you wish to have added value you may want to check into having a stated value policy. Its definitely worth buying the car back if they total it...my brother did on his SS Camaro he had and made a LOT of money by doing so. He was able to purchase a C5Z and hasn't looked back.

I hope it works out for you OP, but don't just take their BS lying down, fight back and get the result that you are happy with!!
Insurance companies look at mods as curb appeal, not added value to a vechicle.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by DVUSz06
Insurance companies look at mods as curb appeal, not added value to a vechicle.
if a mod is in a factory location (radio, wheels, exhaust) its covered to a point, highly modified cars though should be an agreed value with your insurance but if your loss is caused by some one else there insurance is responsible to cover every thing you can provide a receipt for
Old 11-03-2015, 10:52 AM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I would call Sam's auto body first then Tuckers GM Collision center and lastly Exotic Car Paintworks.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:35 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
if a mod is in a factory location (radio, wheels, exhaust) its covered to a point, highly modified cars though should be an agreed value with your insurance but if your loss is caused by some one else there insurance is responsible to cover every thing you can provide a receipt for
OR

If you can't get a receipt from where you purchased the parts(if you bought it used) Call who makes the part(s) and get current retail, the adjuster will depreciate the part based on age and condition.

Again, if someone else hit you and they are at fault, the at fault's insurance will pay for your vehicle. No policy rules apply to you, you were not at fault.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 11-03-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:44 PM
splattt7272
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
OR

If you can't get a receipt from where you purchased the parts(if you bought it used) Call who makes the part(s) and get current retail, the adjuster will depreciate the part based on age and condition.

Again, if someone else hit you and they are at fault, the at fault's insurance will pay for your vehicle. No policy rules apply to you, you were not at fault.
Yeah, all the mods were done by the dealer when I bought the car and its on the sales invoice. I think they are just playing games. But with the B pillar damage and possible need to replace the rear tub sounds like its going to get totaled. That being the case I will pull it all off and part out the rest. Kinda sucks because it was a nice clean car. I still have my '95 but not quite the same.

Last edited by splattt7272; 11-03-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:14 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If they will allow you to buy the car back, tell them to total it out.

Buy it back, part the entire car out in for sale forums here and make some really good cash on top of it. You can easily make back the 10 - 12 grand that car is worth with the insurance money and parts money. Or you can take the insurance money, buy it back and fix it.

There are people out there paying $800 dollars for the BCM in that car, sounds like easy money if you can buy it back.

Last edited by 175rgr; 11-05-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:22 PM
splattt7272
Instructor

Well looks like they are going to fix it. They appraised the car over the KBB. So its going to vegas to The Chevy dealer to get fixed. Let there be peace...
Old 11-06-2015, 06:24 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by splattt7272
Well looks like they are going to fix it. They appraised the car over the KBB. So its going to vegas to The Chevy dealer to get fixed. Let there be peace...
A few words of advice:

Heavily inspect the car when you pick it up, do it outside AND under shop lights.

If there is something that needs to be corrected, do not pick up the car and "bring it back later".....it will never get fixed. Leave the car there and hold payment until it's right to YOUR satisfaction.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:00 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
A few words of advice:

Heavily inspect the car when you pick it up, do it outside AND under shop lights.

If there is something that needs to be corrected, do not pick up the car and "bring it back later".....it will never get fixed. Leave the car there and hold payment until it's right to YOUR satisfaction.
THAT is excellent advice.

I would add, you need to do a walk around with the manager prior to dropping it off, giving him an opportunity to note any and all issues (besides what he is fixing). Interior too.

If you don't, you will be amazed at the new scratches/dings/stains/etc. you will discover the first time you detail it after you get it back - damage due to neglect/carelessness at the shop that you are now stuck with. There are some shops that really care and will not damage your car due to carelessness, but sadly they are the minority.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:50 AM
Martinez310
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15,'19

that sucks big time
Old 11-12-2015, 03:27 PM
splattt7272
Instructor

So its in and they took it apart. Found a little damage to the tub but the Tech said it is not to bad and quite fixable. Got lucky and the Dealer has one of 2 ZO6 certified body guys working on it. Looks like everything will be new GM parts as well. I did take a new White 3LT for a 45 minute spin. Very nice car. I got busted for thinking about it. I did come close to taking it home but I really like to have dinner cooked for me and stuff...
I should get the car back on December 2nd they say. That means I will have to give back the convertible Camaro. It's not near as nice as My Vette. And why did they stop putting in CD players. That sucks
Old 11-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

So its in and they took it apart. Found a little damage to the tub but the Tech said it is not to bad and quite fixable. Got lucky and the Dealer has one of 2 ZO6 certified body guys working on it. Looks like everything will be new GM parts as well. I did take a new White 3LT for a 45 minute spin. Very nice car. I got busted for thinking about it. I did come close to taking it home but I really like to have dinner cooked for me and stuff...
I should get the car back on December 2nd they say. That means I will have to give back the convertible Camaro. It's not near as nice as My Vette. And why did they stop putting in CD players. That sucks
Whats a CD player ?

Toque
Old 11-13-2015, 08:38 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Same reason they stopped putting in cassette players
Old 11-24-2015, 11:30 AM
splattt7272
Instructor

Its going in for paint today. Can't wait

And its funny because I have a 12 disc changer in my car and it has never had a CD in it.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:11 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I hope to hear something in the next couple days. They did offer me a rental but i have to go to Vegas or Reno to pick it up. I'm hoping for the best. Dont want to get screwed out of it.
Enterprise will bring you the car. Their insurance should take care of all this, they sound like they are trying to jerk you around. You want your car fixed the way it was before their insured whacked you. Don't let them take advantage of you.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:40 PM
splattt7272
Instructor

Default It is fixed

They did a great job(Henderson Chevrolet). Plus they gave me a lifetime warrantee. The Camaro rental was ok but not a vette. Of course they did try and slide me into a nice White 3LT but 92K... Maybe in a few months.
Attached Images  

Last edited by splattt7272; 12-10-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Unreal