Sponsored by:

[Z06] Mods vs Reliability

Old 07-26-2016, 07:15 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by JRHMUMBL3
What is your opinion on a full camshaft package (pushrods, Yella Terra Rockers, assembled Trickflow As Cast 220cc valve spring life? In comparison to stock valve springs and combined with a Vindicator Camshaft (240/244 .608/.596 112+4).

Thank you!
I don't know that cam...nor what lobes it is on or what their springs are that they use.

That being said, I would talk to the cam manufacturer and ask them to see what you should change springs out at.

Now take our G5X3 which is a very popular cam. Normal street driving I would change springs every 30k (no more than 35k miles) miles using a Comp 921 dual or BTR 660 platinum duals. If it was a heavy use road race car I would do them once a season for guys doing 15+ full weekends a year on it. Mainly I would on a track car because there are going to be over rev's on it and it is hard to count how many times the car sees that without some sort of data on the car. If you have a big mechanical over rev I would change springs that weekend just to be safe....easier to do that than pull the valve out of the piston.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:54 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Reliability usually starts with the ability for the customer to listen and trust the shop doing the work. For instance, on my 04Z, I ended up using ECS and the first thing asked, what power are you hoping for, and what is your risk factor you are willing to work with. My answer was I don't see myself racing on a track, I don't want issues and blown motors. I left it up to them and they installed a Novi 2000, AR headers, meth, clutch and with a safe tune and 6psi I was at 581 to the wheels. I couldn't be happier and after 20,ooo miles and 9 years never an issue.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:04 AM
JRHMUMBL3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
I don't know that cam...nor what lobes it is on or what their springs are that they use.

That being said, I would talk to the cam manufacturer and ask them to see what you should change springs out at.

Now take our G5X3 which is a very popular cam. Normal street driving I would change springs every 30k (no more than 35k miles) miles using a Comp 921 dual or BTR 660 platinum duals. If it was a heavy use road race car I would do them once a season for guys doing 15+ full weekends a year on it. Mainly I would on a track car because there are going to be over rev's on it and it is hard to count how many times the car sees that without some sort of data on the car. If you have a big mechanical over rev I would change springs that weekend just to be safe....easier to do that than pull the valve out of the piston.

Great thank you! I bought the car second hand with about 5k-10k on the build.

It was a full HCI package from Vengeance Racing, down in Atlanta about 10 years ago.
I asked the previous owner if they had mileage recommendations, but said they never told him anything..

I greatly appreciate your input.

Last edited by JRHMUMBL3; 07-27-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Mods vs Reliability