Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5 Z06 Mail In Tune experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default C5 Z06 Mail In Tune experience

Hello, I have 04 Z06 6 spd with Blackwing CAI, Corsa Sport exhaust and X pipe.

Realize that with these few mods that a tune is not necessary and I don't have any codes.

Just want to know if getting a mail in tune will improve throttle response and add any real HP. Realize that the best way is to have Dyno/Tune however at average of $500 not sure I will get the ROI.

Read that the GM Engineers left very little on the table when they put these cars together.

Your input would be appreciated.

Jim
Old 02-07-2016, 10:03 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

IMO if you're not getting codes, leave it be. A tune might net 5-10HP, which unless you're racing is not really noticeable.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:33 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I wouldn't get a mail in tune. Where do you live?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:39 AM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Tune

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
I wouldn't get a mail in tune. Where do you live?
Thanks for your input . I will wait until I decide on headers and then move forward.

PS: Live in Ft Lauderdale FL.

Jim
Old 02-08-2016, 04:47 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ideally you want a full custom tune from a reputable tuner. But i have read great things about ECS and Chuck COW on their mail order tunes. If you are planning on getting headers sometime soon then i would wait and get the tune done when the headers are installed. but if its going to be a while, then the mail order tunes are pretty good for the money. when i got mine tuned, the car just ran smoother all around. that was the big thing i noticed with the tune. the car did dyno ~30+ HP over a stock 04 so it runs good but just feels like cleaner power.

I have LS7 Manifolds/Downpipes/Hpipe to stock Ti mufflers and Vortex intake.

S
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (02-09-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 05:33 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit1
Thanks for your input . I will wait until I decide on headers and then move forward.

PS: Live in Ft Lauderdale FL.

Jim
If you can find a custom tune shop in your area that would be so much better. I bought my Corvette used and it didn't run that well. It's stock by the way. Must have been tuned by some hack. I had it re-tuned by a reputable shop and now it runs great. It took him a few hours to get it right. No mail in tune could possibly be that good.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
If you can find a custom tune shop in your area that would be so much better. I bought my Corvette used and it didn't run that well. It's stock by the way. Must have been tuned by some hack. I had it re-tuned by a reputable shop and now it runs great. It took him a few hours to get it right. No mail in tune could possibly be that good.
That can go either way really, I have retuned via mail order so many expensive dyno tunes that I have lost count years ago. Although all things equal, then yes I agree with you, a custom dyno tune should be the best option. Now is that expense worth it on a basically stock vehicle over our $149 mail in tune special?
Old 02-09-2016, 12:03 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
That can go either way really, I have retuned via mail order so many expensive dyno tunes that I have lost count years ago. Although all things equal, then yes I agree with you, a custom dyno tune should be the best option. Now is that expense worth it on a basically stock vehicle over our $149 mail in tune special?
with this.
The mail order tuners mostly have plenty experience with stock or simple mod cars. Even a cam; buying a cam and having the same cam company do the mail tune is fine IMO.
Especially for those who live where dyno's are costly (I was quoted "app. $1000" here in Kelowna BC). Is that worth whatever amount they could gain over a mail tune just for bolt-ons? Not IMO.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (02-09-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 02:32 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Our system is quite different.....

Originally Posted by grantv
with this.
The mail order tuners mostly have plenty experience with stock or simple mod cars. Even a cam; buying a cam and having the same cam company do the mail tune is fine IMO.
Especially for those who live where dyno's are costly (I was quoted "app. $1000" here in Kelowna BC). Is that worth whatever amount they could gain over a mail tune just for bolt-ons? Not IMO.
Our system is quite different.....

We use the AutoCal device to remotely tune your vehicle and datalog. We can make any number of changes we need

to make the job right and if you're really ending precision, we offer our AutoCal with serial wideband

feature so that we can remotely tune ANY cammed or SUPERCHARGED car with the same level of precision as

we can in person.... You can be 1,000s of miles away and still have your tuner working with a wideband.

Lots of people do it this way.

Give a call any time if you're interested.

Thank you.
Chuck CoW
Old 02-10-2016, 01:34 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Our system is quite different.....

We use the AutoCal device to remotely tune your vehicle and datalog. We can make any number of changes we need

to make the job right and if you're really ending precision, we offer our AutoCal with serial wideband

feature so that we can remotely tune ANY cammed or SUPERCHARGED car with the same level of precision as

we can in person.... You can be 1,000s of miles away and still have your tuner working with a wideband.

Lots of people do it this way.

Give a call any time if you're interested.

Thank you.
Chuck CoW
I'm not interested.
I was actually interested until a fairly recent post of yours... I can live without your very special tune.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:48 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I agree mail in/email tune is very legit if you are running a fairly common setup. I have bolt ons, ported heads and a mildish cam. Making the power it should and runs great. I have gotten around 10 tune revisions, with some minor hardware/part changes along the way-- have paid less than a single dyno tune.

If you look at a lot of newer cars/platforms you'll find remote tuning is very very common and they have great results. Only thing I did do was add a wideband to verify WOT AFR-- but everything was always spot on, so it turned out to be kind of a waste of money-- peace of mind I guess.

Last edited by aaronc7; 02-10-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 Mail In Tune experience

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5 Z06 Mail In Tune experience