Sponsored by:

[Z06] keep & mod C5Z or get C6Z?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
In honesty I think a C6 Grand Sport is a car to consider, depending on your use. An LS3 isn't a motor to be discounted, plus you have the Z06 benefits without the LS7 risks of failure. You can always build the LS3 and/or supercharge for street and kill C6Z's.

The plot thickens...
I agree. After 4 C5 Z's I went with a GS. All around nicer car. It was great but I sold it and am looking for another C5 Z. The unique body gets me every time I see one.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 102 Posts

I would say to keep the C5 because to me C6 is very ugly and bland, both exterior wise and interior wise.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:57 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

C6 Grand Sport w M6... Hand built, forged LS3... always a good choice!

In honesty I think a C6 Grand Sport is a car to consider, depending on your use. An LS3 isn't a motor to be discounted, plus you have the Z06 benefits without the LS7 risks of failure. You can always build the LS3 and/or supercharge for street and kill C6Z's.

The plot thickens...
Old 02-13-2016, 08:19 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

This is why people end up owning a bunch of sh*t....too hard to choose to be honest. I personally feel like I CAN'T get rid of my C5Z....I love the shape, love it's minimalist and raw nature, and I think it's something Corvette lost. The C5Z was the purest Z06, most connected to its foundation in my opinion. At the level mine is, anything I buy stock is going to be a downgrade on some level.

I am personally looking to add a C6Z for around 30k when I find one. I've been back and forth on the fence about the C7. I don't want the C7Z...I do and I don't. I very much like the Z51, but at 50k, I just feel like it's not worth it...hate to say it. These are toys to me, not primary driving cars and paying 65k for toys...it's just too impractical. Not when you can build a monster of a car for 30 grand, starting with a myriad of platforms.
The following 2 users liked this post by RC000E:
IMXCITD (02-19-2016), Shakeydeal (02-14-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 09:08 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jerkyboy
So, funny, I am having the exact same dilemma at this very moment. I own my 03z and have the suspension dialed in perfectly. You certainly don't see many FRC's around (at least where I live). The 03 is super light and fairly easy to work on.

I want more power... so I've decided to look for a built LS-7.

I really like the wide fenders on the C6Z...but I can do that on my C5 and I think that look is killer.

Other things to consider:
-Insurance is a little cheaper on the '03
-I have to pay personal property tax on my vehicles in VA. My '03 is cheaper to own in that regard as well!

I've never heard of this before, had to look it up. Is this right, you have to pay 5% of its value each year in taxes? So if you have a $20k car, that's $1k a year. Is that correct?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:30 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

I would love to have a C6 Z06, but cannot see getting rid of my C5 Z06 for one.

Perhaps you can scratch that itch with a SuperCharger..

If you want straight off the line power, go with a mod roots style like the Magnuson or the Edelbrock kit.

If you want it to kick in around 3K RPMs, go with the A&A or ECS kit.

Put in a new clutch and you are good to go up to over 500 RWHP either way.
Gonna cost around 10-12K installed (Magnuson or Edelbrock is going to require a new hood, so that is around 2K painted). That price range includes the new clutch set up.

Last edited by bikeriderga; 02-14-2016 at 12:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mainecobra (02-20-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 11:09 AM
pql-lbc
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
I've never heard of this before, had to look it up. Is this right, you have to pay 5% of its value each year in taxes? So if you have a $20k car, that's $1k a year. Is that correct?
Been there done that in VA. It's called a personal property tax. The Commonwealth taxes its citizens on everything we own, boats, bikes, cars, pets...

Funny how so many of us face the same decision. I sold my C5Z last June and was pondering the move up to a C6Z, or if I could swing it, a C6ZR1. In the end, it was back to an already highly modded C5Z and have no regrets about staying where I am. Having said that, the one better scenario would be the ability to own both generations Z's as they each have their unique characteristic, but that's a luxury many of us cannot afford.

With that said, have to go buy some Lotto tickets now...
Old 02-14-2016, 01:26 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

C5Z is no slouch.... make it yours and enjoy it! I know several guys whose LS7s dropped a valve as well.... more than just "i read about this problem online" kind of thing to me.

Last edited by aaronc7; 02-14-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:44 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
It is. Now VA has a deal where they are holding back 2.5% but it's still excessive. My new Grand Cherokee will cost me $1600 this year.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:27 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jerkyboy
It is. Now VA has a deal where they are holding back 2.5% but it's still excessive. My new Grand Cherokee will cost me $1600 this year.
Damn, that's crazy. They tax you one way or another, here in PA we pay the highest added gas tax in the country.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:17 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

I faced a similar dilema but instead of a C6Z it was going to be a luxury sport sedan (these aren't "real" I know)...crazy huh, I know it would never compare to the performance etc but after commuting 50miles a day for 4+yrs in an interior we can all agree is a bit dated (not terrible) and lacks creature comforts, I felt it was time to consider moving on. I wanted nav, heated/cooled seats, bluetooth, a more comfortable ride which is not to say the C5 is uncomfortable, but there's better, and finally for ease of road trips because my wife doesn't drive manual, I wanted an automatic.

I understand I can upgrade the car to have the majority of the wants I am looking for but I just wanted it done, and all neatly wrapped into an already completed package. I test drove my top 2 choices and thought long and hard about it and eventually decided to keep my C5Z. The biggest factor for me was the fact I own my car and I did not want to get into an auto loan. It's crazy nice not having to make payments and even though I haven't for nearly 3yrs, it's awesome knowing I can use that money to do whatever I want to the car. I suppose I just couldn't justify nearly 20k+ on loan for creature comforts.

With that said, my wife gave me the green light to get a C7 or an ATS-V for my 40th bday. So what's a few thousand dollars on mods for my C5Z to hold me over for 7yrs? I think I can wait.

Last edited by nvusgt; 02-14-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:51 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

keeping it adding headers AND cam in the spring. Had to drive it today in -6 degree weather- having some work done to my garage & needed the Z outta the way so drove it to my my mom's to store in her garage while the work is done. Dont want anything else
The following users liked this post:
aaronc7 (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 05:31 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by nvusgt
I faced a similar dilema but instead of a C6Z it was going to be a luxury sport sedan (these aren't "real" I know)...crazy huh, I know it would never compare to the performance etc but after commuting 50miles a day for 4+yrs in an interior we can all agree is a bit dated (not terrible) and lacks creature comforts, I felt it was time to consider moving on. I wanted nav, heated/cooled seats, bluetooth, a more comfortable ride which is not to say the C5 is uncomfortable, but there's better, and finally for ease of road trips because my wife doesn't drive manual, I wanted an automatic.

I understand I can upgrade the car to have the majority of the wants I am looking for but I just wanted it done, and all neatly wrapped into an already completed package. I test drove my top 2 choices and thought long and hard about it and eventually decided to keep my C5Z. The biggest factor for me was the fact I own my car and I did not want to get into an auto loan. It's crazy nice not having to make payments and even though I haven't for nearly 3yrs, it's awesome knowing I can use that money to do whatever I want to the car. I suppose I just couldn't justify nearly 20k+ on loan for creature comforts.

With that said, my wife gave me the green light to get a C7 or an ATS-V for my 40th bday. So what's a few thousand dollars on mods for my C5Z to hold me over for 7yrs? I think I can wait.
It seems that a call to Dennis at DoubleD Mods could satisfy several of your wants. I installed a double din Kenwood that has many of the modern electronic features that I wanted and felt would modernize my car to have features my newer commuter car has that made my Z feel lacking. The C5Z has a unique look that stands out amongst all other Vettes and, to me, makes the car look special. As for myself I don't have $130k for a C7 Z and I'm not sure I'd buy one if I did. I still love my car and don't know that a new Z is $100k more of a car. It still gets a ton of positive looks when on the road. I've had people in AMG M-B's cruise past me and give me thumbs up. And the only time I street raced someone I took on a Turbo911.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:43 AM
ZR-1 Mark
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
keeping it adding headers AND cam in the spring. Had to drive it today in -6 degree weather- having some work done to my garage & needed the Z outta the way so drove it to my my mom's to store in her garage while the work is done. Dont want anything else
Before you make up your mind, and if you are in New England you should come see my car. And I am actually looking for a C5 z06 right now !!! I have a completely sorted out '06 Z06 with 11k miles on it for sale here on the Forum. It makes 481 rwhp on a Mustang dyno and I have had the heads replaced also....check this out :

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-in-mass.html

Lemme know
Mark
Old 02-17-2016, 04:46 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-1 Mark
Before you make up your mind, and if you are in New England you should come see my car. And I am actually looking for a C5 z06 right now !!! I have a completely sorted out '06 Z06 with 11k miles on it for sale here on the Forum. It makes 481 rwhp on a Mustang dyno and I have had the heads replaced also....check this out :

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-in-mass.html

Lemme know
Mark
hehe - well I'll send you a PM, you'll be surprised at the similarities of the situation...Don K. is a good guy!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:27 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

The 45k 2006 Z06 that's been for sale for a year or more....Maybe 30+ your C5Z and he'll do a deal on that.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:05 PM
ZR-1 Mark
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The 45k 2006 Z06 that's been for sale for a year or more....Maybe 30+ your C5Z and he'll do a deal on that.

Be nice will Ya'.....
I have the car listed for "best offer close to $40k"......

And I list stuff once in a while just to meet people and scratch an itch every once in a while.....sheesh.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:56 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

I owned a H/C/I C5 (coupe not a Z). Loved the car and ran it hard on the track many times. I later sold it and bought my "dream" car. My C6Z blew away my modded C5 in every performance category while bone stock. I've recently addressed the head issue (although I had no problems) and now have approx. 550 rwhp. . Enjoy the C5Z all day, but the C6Z is an entirely different (IMO better) car. Now the C7Z has changed the game, but I'm happy with what I have. (for now)
Old 02-18-2016, 11:48 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZR-1 Mark
Be nice will Ya'.....
I have the car listed for "best offer close to $40k"......

And I list stuff once in a while just to meet people and scratch an itch every once in a while.....sheesh.
That may be, but I'm bettin you still want at least 20k cash

Quick Reply: [Z06] keep & mod C5Z or get C6Z?