Sponsored by:

[Z06] My "fix the small things" winter build

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:12 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JETninja
Like to see a review of the Viking shocks, did some research on them but have not found any real reviews as of yet..
They transformed my car honestly. Once I get more miles on them, I will post a better review. There is a 1/2 and 1 mile event locally in 2 months and I want to get a good DR and setup the suspension for it. Then hit the drag strip and see if I can get it to squat.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

^ Do you have any more details on that Olean event? Looks promising but at the same time somewhat unorganized. Last I heard they didn't have any timing equipment or radar guns set up.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason Zajac
Get the bearings and bring the Jack Honey. I have the iced tea
Hows Vodka and tea? I need to do some more investigation, its not the alt. or ps. Doesn't sound like the blower, but its very close to it. Which means fixed idler, or the tensioner below it.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:23 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by nsogiba
^ Do you have any more details on that Olean event? Looks promising but at the same time somewhat unorganized. Last I heard they didn't have any timing equipment or radar guns set up.
Not any more than whats posted in that disaster of a FB thread. It's amazing how stupid people are (can I run bald tires?). Radar guns would be a huge win, but if not then it will be a roll race event. I expect 60% of the cars showing up to be complete trash.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:24 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Should be "interesting"....expecting a lot of the stance boy vapers to be confused as to why they spun out at 80mph
Old 04-26-2016, 09:24 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by nsogiba
Should be "interesting"....expecting a lot of the stance boy vapers to be confused as to why they spun out at 80mph
haha at least we could get some good footage.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

In my future

Old 06-02-2016, 10:00 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

It's been a while but progress has slowly been made. I ended up purchasing a set of 275/40/17 ET Streets and can finally hook 3rd gear. A pull from 2nd gear wasn't on my list as I was fairly sure the manual idler bearings were toast. Removed the idler and the bearings fell right out (after c-clip removed), had a very nice rattle to them, and the grease was all over the idler. Purchased 2 new bearings from Amazon, and Jay (local shop) helped install them with green locktite. I initially thought they needed to be pressed in, but light tapping did the trick.

Also I am thinking about getting a shorter belt, the length I received with the kit stretched a decent amount and it almost seems like on hard shifts it wobbles resulting in 1 rib being off. I did laser align the belt system and it was within specs.

For the shroud I waited on a set of metric drill & tap bits. Using self tapping screws seemed like a ****** idea. It will be held down with some M5 x .8 bolts instead.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:06 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Were you making passes at Lancaster last night? There was a black C5Z that was doing work and sounded great.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

I believe that was Brian (heads/cam + nitrous), I had my blower off my car last night to fix the idler. Without bias-ply tires I doubt I would hook at lancaster without prep.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:12 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Gotcha, hope to see this thing out soon.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:13 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Tomorrow I'll throw it back together and I still have the 17s on for more fun Should be at mighty Sunday night and cruising the other days, shoot me a message if you are out.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Jason Zajac
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nullpointer
It's been a while but progress has slowly been made. I ended up purchasing a set of 275/40/17 ET Streets and can finally hook 3rd gear. A pull from 2nd gear wasn't on my list as I was fairly sure the manual idler bearings were toast. Removed the idler and the bearings fell right out (after c-clip removed), had a very nice rattle to them, and the grease was all over the idler. Purchased 2 new bearings from Amazon, and Jay (local shop) helped install them with green locktite. I initially thought they needed to be pressed in, but light tapping did the trick.

Also I am thinking about getting a shorter belt, the length I received with the kit stretched a decent amount and it almost seems like on hard shifts it wobbles resulting in 1 rib being off. I did laser align the belt system and it was within specs.

For the shroud I waited on a set of metric drill & tap bits. Using self tapping screws seemed like a ****** idea. It will be held down with some M5 x .8 bolts instead.
Beer, Bearings & Boost.....glad I could help

How about rivets for the shroud? I have done it before and they hold great and if you need to remove them a drill bit makes quick work of them

Last edited by Jason Zajac; 06-02-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason Zajac
Beer, Bearings & Boost.....glad I could help

How about rivets for the shroud? I have done it before and they hold great and if you need to remove them a drill bit makes quick work of them
Bolts would be faster to remove and re-install, I don't have much confidence in leaving things alone for long

Always down for beer and boost
Old 07-19-2016, 07:21 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Bumping this thread from the dead.

I finally got around to installing the new shroud. Drilled/tapped the rails for M5x.8 bolts so everything is easily removed for inspection/repair. Couldn't find any decent prices for drill/tap combo from the states, ended spending less for a Chinese set. Sad but $30 for a single bit is nuts.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:27 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

awesome work.

how is the viking shocks for you?

any review????

Quick Reply: [Z06] My "fix the small things" winter build