Sponsored by:

[Z06] What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:19 PM
DTA4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to look for?

Going to look at 2003 z06 with 11k miles. Any suggestions on what i should be on the lookout for? By no means I'm a mechanic but will be bringing my dad to have an extra set of eyes and he has a 98 c5
Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Everything rubber. Miles that low often indicate a car that has been stored a lot of its life.
Check the accident history, year on the tires, belts, paint (in case it was ever stored outdoor), oil change records (should be once a year IMO, but many don't retain all those bills)... it should be fine with miles that low.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:54 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Everything rubber. Miles that low often indicate a car that has been stored a lot of its life.
Check the accident history, year on the tires, belts, paint (in case it was ever stored outdoor), oil change records (should be once a year IMO, but many don't retain all those bills)... it should be fine with miles that low.
This is good advice. I bought an 03 Z 12,900 miles on it bone stock a little over 2 years ago. You can probably find some of my build/mod threads- but anyhow car was a 1 owner but the guy traded it @ a used vette dealer for a C6 vert. Owner lived a block from the ocean. When car wasn't sitting in front of his house in the crescent driveways it was stored in an unisunulated garage- end result? Well good points were paint & interior that were 8.5-9/10, an engine that had the oil change once a year when put into storage, clean car fax no accidents, no oil leaks, engine dynoed very strong even stock.

Bad points? The whole undercarriage and any bare cast AL was very oxidized, bushings/rubber - particularly the stuff closest to the ground- were all cracked/dry rotted, tie rods were getting so bound up from oxidizing enhancing told me he didn't feel comfortable doing a 2nd alignment, AC system essentially crapped out from non use and effects of moisture & oxidization eating it from inside out, and the stock goodyears that were 11-12 years old? Well @ least they weren't dryrotted to the point of cracking, but they were useless.

Also you'll need to replace the valve springs for peace of mind.

If you find y suspension upgrade thread you'll see what I mean- I replaced F/R sway bars/bushings/end links + the inner/outer tie Rods all 4 corners. Also replaced the shocks while I was at it.

A car with higher miles that was driven. On a regular basis would have had many of these things addressed as regular maintenance and/or there would have been less dry rotting etc.

But on the other hand you (and me) have ultra low mileage vetted...and no amount of mods/money can change that

Get notified of new replies

To What to look for?

Quick Reply: [Z06] What to look for?