Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] z06

Old 04-22-2016, 04:47 PM
collins77
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z06

Wanting to do some mods in my 02 c5 zo6. its still all stock,just wondering what my best bet would be to start with.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by collins77
Wanting to do some mods in my 02 c5 zo6. its still all stock,just wondering what my best bet would be to start with.
Cold air intake, long tube headers, exhaust, short throw shifter. That's your best bet.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:33 PM
wrkdWS6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedLS6
Cold air intake, long tube headers, exhaust, short throw shifter. That's your best bet.
x2

Uncork that thing with intake and exhaust mods. CAI, long tube headers w/ matching x-pipe and a tune should wake it up. I vote keep the stock ti exhaust to save money unless you want something louder. Shifter would also be a good idea, will make the car more fun to drive.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:42 PM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by wrkdWS6
x2

Uncork that thing with intake and exhaust mods. CAI, long tube headers w/ matching x-pipe and a tune should wake it up. I vote keep the stock ti exhaust to save money unless you want something louder. Shifter would also be a good idea, will make the car more fun to drive.
Absolutely. I have yet to see much benefit (aside from noise) of an aftermarket cat back exhaust on a bolt on Z06. Maybe a few hp at the wheels for $1500+? Money better spent elsewhere. I did the Ti bypass mod on mine for a bit more aggressive sound, cost me about $350 parts/labor.

Edit: Let me rephrase...if you are looking for that more aggressive exhaust note, then the money may be worth it, however if you are spending that money simply in search of horsepower, it is money better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by NosLaser; 04-22-2016 at 06:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
imjdoggie (05-02-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NosLaser
Absolutely. I have yet to see much benefit (aside from noise) of an aftermarket cat back exhaust on a bolt on Z06. Maybe a few hp at the wheels for $1500+? Money better spent elsewhere. I did the Ti bypass mod on mine for a bit more aggressive sound, cost me about $350 parts/labor.

Edit: Let me rephrase...if you are looking for that more aggressive exhaust note, then the money may be worth it, however if you are spending that money simply in search of horsepower, it is money better spent elsewhere.

I only listed exhaust because that's the typical path that most people take on the forum. FYI I have longtubes running to the stock Ti exhaust as well, and love the sound. The bypass mod may be in my future, but $1500 for an aftermarket system definitely isn't. That'd be dipping into my cam fund.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 PM
wrkdWS6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I only listed exhaust because that's the typical path that most people take on the forum. FYI I have longtubes running to the stock Ti exhaust as well, and love the sound. The bypass mod may be in my future, but $1500 for an aftermarket system definitely isn't. That'd be dipping into my cam fund.

Totally agree, that's craziness IMO. Bypass mod would be real nice, just wish it wasn't so impossible to find someone to do it. I'm thinking a cam would make us both happy.

OP, if you want a little more after the intake and exhaust mods we mentioned, a cam would be a nice addition to consider.

Last edited by wrkdWS6; 04-22-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:15 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Cams for everyone!
Old 04-22-2016, 07:54 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by wrkdWS6

Totally agree, that's craziness IMO. Bypass mod would be real nice, just wish it wasn't so impossible to find someone to do it. I'm thinking a cam would make us both happy.

OP, if you want a little more after the intake and exhaust mods we mentioned, a cam would be a nice addition to consider.
I had the ti bypass mod done on mine by a great shop in Trenton, NJ. A specialty metal welding shop, a guy there has done this mod on lots of c5 Z's. Does nice work. PM me if you want his info, he's not a vendor here.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:06 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

The list I did...
Stubby antenna
Air intake (K&N, Blackwing, etc are easy and non-problematic)
Texas Speed headers (with new GMPP wires and Iridium plugs)
Magnaflow X (modified) and cats
Tune including skip shift delete and 10deg lower fan turn on
I sawed my factory shifter shaft down by about 1 1/4", installed a TwistedShifterz **** with deep threads (my factory shifter is tight/notchy, was just a bit long/high)
Fluids; Amsoil Torque Drive in the tranny, severe gear in the rear, Mobil 1 oil & filter (yearly).

Last edited by grantv; 04-22-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:00 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 143 Posts

My mods in chronological order:

LT headers
CAI
4.10 gears
Chuck CoW tune

I decided to go with 4.10's instead of H/C/I because my goal was just to add some usable torque and turn 6th gear into a 'gear', and not "overdrive". The gear installation wasn't cheap; $1800 for the differential alone plus $250 to install it. That included new axle seals. Another reason I chose the gears was because I was already paying for the labor of disassembling the drivetrain (new clutch), and the price of an additional $2G's would be cheaper than the H/C/I (Momo) combination. Gears "alone" would also eliminate any need for me to weigh one shop's recommendation against another's for H/C/I combinations and compatibility.

I am completely pleased with the outcome... the car is 'scary' quick compared to OEM, and I haven't yet had the guts to stomp it from a dig. I'll prolly never do that since this is only a street car and I don't dig at lights. As quick as it is, my curiosity about its' launch capabilities is truly tentative. I don't wanna be in a YouTube video taking a hard left turn as my tires break loose.

I might should have done the 4.10's first (and then I could have skipped the rest [but the CoW tune really helps]), but I didn't wanna pay for the drivetrain labor until the clutch needed replacing.

Everything I've read says 4.10's preclude H/C/I mods later unless you're building a devoted drag car; the lower gearing damn near eliminates 1st-gear traction in a street set up launch and another problem some guys point out is 4th gear (near the end of a 1/4-mile run) runs out early just when you need it.

Last edited by dork; 04-23-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:59 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Figure out your end goals and go backwards with the modifications to reach them. You will save a lot of money that way.

For example: If you are going to end up with a blower/turbo, don't sink money into any kind of CAI. If you are going to turbo later, don't spend money on headers. If you are going with a blower later, don't add an underdrive pulley now.

Having said all that, basic bolt-ons and a tune will yield a very satisfying car that won't completely overwhelm street tire compounds.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:37 AM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
My mods in chronological order:

LT headers
CAI
4.10 gears
Chuck CoW tune

I decided to go with 4.10's instead of H/C/I because my goal was just to add some usable torque and turn 6th gear into a 'gear', and not "overdrive". The gear installation wasn't cheap; $1800 for the differential alone plus $250 to install it. That included new axle seals. Another reason I chose the gears was because I was already paying for the labor of disassembling the drivetrain (new clutch), and the price of an additional $2G's would be cheaper than the H/C/I (Momo) combination. Gears "alone" would also eliminate any need for me to weigh one shop's recommendation against another's for H/C/I combinations and compatibility.

I am completely pleased with the outcome... the car is 'scary' quick compared to OEM, and I haven't yet had the guts to stomp it from a dig. I'll prolly never do that since this is only a street car and I don't dig at lights. As quick as it is, my curiosity about its' launch capabilities is truly tentative. I don't wanna be in a YouTube video taking a hard left turn as my tires break loose.

I might should have done the 4.10's first (and then I could have skipped the rest [but the CoW tune really helps]), but I didn't wanna pay for the drivetrain labor until the clutch needed replacing.

Everything I've read says 4.10's preclude H/C/I mods later unless you're building a devoted drag car; the lower gearing damn near eliminates 1st-gear traction in a street set up launch and another problem some guys point out is 4th gear (near the end of a 1/4-mile run) runs out early just when you need it.

Some go with 3.90's for that reason. Since the z06 trans is already more aggressively geared in 1-3, 4.10's are going to be even more extreme than they would be on a base model. I went from 3:42's to 4:10's in a 97z28 and omg, it felt like a whole different car. No bolt on has a bigger sotp feeling than gears.

Last edited by MY03C5Z; 04-23-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:37 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Ditto, best first mods for the monies spent.... then, let the games begin!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:55 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

then throw heads and cam on that thing and run 10's.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:56 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Supercharge it A&A or ECS kit and enjoy the car.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:11 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I am with these guys.... and a tune,

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
Ditto, best first mods for the monies spent.... then, let the games begin!
Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

simple things to do first: detail, Window tint, lower on stock bolts, battery, fluid change, new floor mats, MGW shirter, shorty antenna, intake, tires, seats, battery tender, car cover.

Decide what your goals are and how deep your pockets are before going crazy w cam, heads, headers etc. You may like it just the way it is w some simple mods versus throwing big $$ at it.

Get notified of new replies

To z06

Old 04-25-2016, 09:44 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
simple things to do first: detail, Window tint, lower on stock bolts, battery, fluid change, new floor mats, MGW shirter, shorty antenna, intake, tires, seats, battery tender, car cover.

Decide what your goals are and how deep your pockets are before going crazy w cam, heads, headers etc. You may like it just the way it is w some simple mods versus throwing big $$ at it.

Good advice!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:54 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

That's all you really need to have fun! Minimal downtime, and doesn't affect your cars reliability!

Last edited by Magna_Flow; 04-28-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:12 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

im on the same boat, going to vette doctors to do my headers, intake, tune,160 stat, ARP bolts, tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] z06