Sponsored by:

[Z06] Thoughts before purchasing 03 Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Preston398
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts before purchasing 03 Z

So I am currently thinking about trading my mini on an 03 Z with 100,400 miles on it. They are asking 18k at the Chevy dealer which seems a bit high but I'm sure I could get it down some.
I'm trying to debate if this is worth it or if I am going to be buying a money pit.
All I know about the car is it is a 1 owner which is a plus but idk if any maint other than oil changes has been done. Last thing I want is to replace a clutch right after I get it as it will be my daily. But will only be driving about 5k miles a year.
I have read about what to look for when buying one but some things can't be checked by eye so that always worried me.
Any tips for me or things to consider?
And I already checked insurance rates and it only is about 15 more a month so not bad.
Thank you guys in advance and I'm going to continue searching the forum for info.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:14 AM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

100k miles is kinda high to be getting into a c5z as a daily driver imo. More than likely its on the stock clutch. Even going with a stock replacement clutch/pp/flywheel, new slave cylinder etc, you're looking at $1500 or more for parts & labor. New valve springs are a very good idea if they are original. Figure $500-$700 part/labor. Brakes are a pretty easy diy job, just like any other car. I would change ALL fluids if I were you. Figure cost for that. Not the most practical daily driver imo but Im guessing your a younger guy and not looking for practical. There will be other maintenance items but this a list to start from.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:17 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Preston398
So I am currently thinking about trading my mini on an 03 Z with 100,400 miles on it. They are asking 18k at the Chevy dealer which seems a bit high but I'm sure I could get it down some.
I'm trying to debate if this is worth it or if I am going to be buying a money pit.
All I know about the car is it is a 1 owner which is a plus but idk if any maint other than oil changes has been done. Last thing I want is to replace a clutch right after I get it as it will be my daily. But will only be driving about 5k miles a year.
I have read about what to look for when buying one but some things can't be checked by eye so that always worried me.
And I already checked insurance rates and it only is about 15 more a month so not bad.
Thank you guys in advance and I'm going to continue searching the forum for info.
18K is too much for a plus 100,000 mile Z06 IMHO. 15K would be about middle of the road price.

When buying a 100K car, checking out everything is mandatory. If the previous owner has the service records, that would be helpful. Getting a short time warranty is not a bad idea either.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:35 AM
Preston398
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the feedback. While I really want to get a Z, im thinking you guys might be correct and a 100k mile one might not be a great choice for my situation right now. Still in school full time so its probably better to stick to my Mini that is going to be under warranty for 2 more years instead of buying a sports car that will definitely require more attention. Not to mention I will have to haggle their price down 3k plus haggle to get a fair trade in value.
Maybe another one will come across at a better price!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:19 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Id have to say a mini with a 2 yr warranty remaining is a LOT better option for a college student. Mini Coopers are cool cars and much more practical. Drive it till you graduate, the c5/c6z's will still be around with lower miles when you graduate. Just my opinion.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:26 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

ya....that Z is over priced for the miles on it. I would say stick w your mini til you finish or are close to finishing school. Also...I would look for one w fewer miles and pay a little more......hopefully less headaches down the road.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:48 AM
idahoskiguy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree with the advise of keeping your mini while in school. Do not fear.....someone out there is saving your Z06 for you, when you are ready a low mile, well preserved garage queen can be found.

Found my one owner Z06 last August, 2001 C5 Z06 21,000 miles, red, with the factory plastic still on the floor mats.......a very nice example and paid $22,000. Replaced old tires, replaced battery with a AGM leak proof unit and did a complete fluid change. This Z06 puts the Porsches I have owned to shame in terms of value and performance.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I guess I'd have to disagree with the majority.

Mileage is no issue. I've had 4 Zs, ranging from 7k to 103k (currently and daily driver) and they all drove the same. They're good for 200k. The LS6 is a super reliable chevy small block that will take plenty of abuse and ask for more. Many on here, have heavily modded Zs with over 100k on them and no issues.

Why change the clutch if it's still good? Wait till it goes out to change it. I do agree on changing out the fluids as others have said. Also, don't be put off by the rattle from below when in neutral with clutch out. If it goes away when clutch is depressed, it's normal.

If you can get them down on the price, I say ditch the Mini and get the Z, no question. Otherwise, go back to the drawing board and find another higher mileage Z for less. I can't imagine that the Z is any less reliable than the UK Mini. I bought my first one a few years back while I was in school and would've done it again. You'll have to beat the chicks off with a stick and you'll actually want to go to school.

Last edited by Konrad; 04-26-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:38 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Preston398
Say what you will, I know a GM sales guy been selling Corvettes for 30 years ,anything Corvette any car with over 100,000 GM will give $5,000 act like there taking off big money on whatever you buy but in the end they giving you $5,000 for the 100,000 miles can't get a lone on the car with over 100,000 miles on it unless you got very good score and if you got good score 750 you would buy something else anyway.. Been knowing the guy for years in my Corvette club .. I have people say that can't be true was in the other office at the Dealer seen it with my own eyes.. nice 2000 Corvette 100,000 on it he gave the guy $5000 on a new GM something.. I ask if I could buy the Corvette he said sure $5,500 for he to make something ..Just saying .. I didn't really need it .. Seen it ..
Old 04-29-2016, 11:15 AM
echelonphoto
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me give you some real world ad vice, since I just bought an 02z with 103K miles. I paid 14k and this car is a very well taken care of car...new tires, perfect stock Z wheels, nice paint, interior looks new except for a small tear in drivers seat. The car also had recent brakes and shocks. I am very happy with my buy....an idiot totaled my previous 08 coupe two months ago and i was looking for another late model, but this z came along and in the right color(victory red). The car handles better than my 08 and actually rides much tighter. There are caveats...if you are not able to wrench yourself, I would avoid these cars..here are the problems i came across which I fixed myself for very little dollars...rear wheel bearing(150), new front turn signal housings and led bulbs (100), ebcm fix (free)..new rear tie rod ends (100). That's it for now...if I had all these fixes done by a pro...would have been about 1500 or so. I drive my car daily and enjoy every minute of it...coming soon...headers, cam, shifter and tune.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by radar502
Say what you will, I know a GM sales guy been selling Corvettes for 30 years ,anything Corvette any car with over 100,000 GM will give $5,000 act like there taking off big money on whatever you buy but in the end they giving you $5,000 for the 100,000 miles can't get a lone on the car with over 100,000 miles on it unless you got very good score and if you got good score 750 you would buy something else anyway.. Been knowing the guy for years in my Corvette club .. I have people say that can't be true was in the other office at the Dealer seen it with my own eyes.. nice 2000 Corvette 100,000 on it he gave the guy $5000 on a new GM something.. I ask if I could buy the Corvette he said sure $5,500 for he to make something ..Just saying .. I didn't really need it .. Seen it ..
Man that was a tough read. Do you actually read what you write?
Old 04-29-2016, 11:53 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Keep the mini get a Z when youre out of school making more money
Vettes can be money pits or at least the repairs pricy
Motors are great its all the little stuff and electronics attached to them that can give you fits, havent seen on gen of Vette that isnt like that lol.

There will always be some nice lower mile ones out there, and prices arent going up so dont sweat it. Put the car on your backburner and keep working forward youll get one when the times right.

Guys seem to want to store these cars away and never use them which is good for you when youre shopping.

Last edited by cv67; 04-29-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:39 PM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Corvettes are super cool, but engine wise, there isn't much to them - so in other words, mileage wouldn't scare me away completely so long as the vehicle was maintained properly. It's a pushrod V8. There are like 6 moving parts

LS engines will last a long time if properly cared for. That being said, the advantage to it being a Corvette with a bit more of a scrutinizing market, you can use higher mileage as a strong negotiating tool.

They are asking too much for a 100k mile C5Z. I'd either see if I can get that price down to the 15k range as another member has stated, or look elsewhere. You'll find one
Old 04-29-2016, 01:00 PM
sub150
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's too much for a 100k+ Z.

As far as being a DD, the reason I bought a Z is for lack of major repairs. A clutch is something that happens in manual cars...you should be prepared to pay that if the time comes. What you don't see on a Z are engine rebuilds which cost big money.

I DD a 111k Z. I recently replaced the clutch but that could have happened at 70k miles. I knew it hadn't been done in a while, it was factored into my purchase price. Tires are $800 bucks.

End all be all. Great performance, minimal depreciation, but wether it's a 50k mile car or 100k mile car, be prepared for not-cheap repairs but nothing catastrophic (like a $15k Porsche flat 6 rebuild due to bore scoring/IMS issue).
Old 04-29-2016, 01:08 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

You guys keep talking about repairs being pricey.... Ever worked on a Mini Cooper before? My coworker used to work for mini, he got a kick out of this thread.

C5Z or nothing. Make the trade.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:36 PM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

As I mentioned above, a Z is not any less reliable than a UK Mini. If anything, it's far more reliable.

Last edited by Konrad; 04-29-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:25 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Id would have got rid of that mini a long time ago. Lol. My god nothing i would ever want to drive. In college heck yea get the z06. They run great have zero issues get great mpg. Your young have fun while you have probally the least amount of responsibilities in your life. Trust me get the z06. That is a high price so keep looking but for sure get the z06. Dont wait until later on in life or it will sit in your garage and never get driven like mine as when u have a family its hard to find the time to drive it.

Last edited by mainecobra; 04-29-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts before purchasing 03 Z

Old 04-29-2016, 09:27 PM
mainecobra
Pro

And also if driven properly and maintained 100k on a z isnt crazy by any means. And you dont need to replace the clutch either just because it has 100k. But with those miles id pay 13/14k max. For 18k you can get a low mileage 03z if u look hard enough and make a move quick when one comes available
Old 04-30-2016, 07:24 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mainecobra
And also if driven properly and maintained 100k on a z isnt crazy by any means. And you dont need to replace the clutch either just because it has 100k. But with those miles id pay 13/14k max. For 18k you can get a low mileage 03z if u look hard enough and make a move quick when one comes available
This must be limited to your location. There are no such animals in my neck of the woods. I want someone to show me a low mileage Z (under30K miles) for 18K.

Shakey
Old 04-30-2016, 09:40 AM
mainecobra
Pro

I guess i got lucky when i bought mine then. But there are always deals and you can always make an offer on something. Just have to move fast on a good deal.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thoughts before purchasing 03 Z