Sponsored by:

[Z06] Mom borrowing my z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:07 PM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Mom borrowing my z06

My dad had back surgery so my moms been driving my car for the last month (she drives ~2k miles a year). We all swapped cars to be most accommodating for everyone (a win/win for me). She drives to the gym and back for the most part. Anyway, she said yesterday "it's not that fast" not sure If I should be impressed or insulted... She is right!

And she really doesn't like cars.... I think it's time for a supercharger
<br > <br >
Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

What I have found is that the car doesn't feel quick, but it is fast. What I mean by that is once you really press the go pedal "really hard", it really goes. But the throttle response of a non fly by wire car feels "quicker, even if it's not as fast.

And if you don't wind your shifts out, you would never know what the car is capable of. Your mom is not driving your car the way you do, or her opinion would be different.

Shakey
Old 05-17-2016, 08:15 AM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
What I have found is that the car doesn't feel quick, but it is fast. What I mean by that is once you really press the go pedal "really hard", it really goes. But the throttle response of a non fly by wire car feels "quicker, even if it's not as fast.

And if you don't wind your shifts out, you would never know what the car is capable of. Your mom is not driving your car the way you do, or her opinion would be different.

Shakey
I feel where you are coming from. I think Z06's are deceptively fast; perhaps because they have good balance and a nice linear power delivery/broad powerband they don't feel as violent. When my CAI/DR, X pipe 2001 went down the track, I was like "it felt okay" but when I got my timeslip and my trap speed was nearly 117mph, I was pretty shocked. It didn't feel as fast as I expected a 117 car to feel.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:09 AM
orangerun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I test drove my '02 Z.....from a dead stop I came off the clutch and smashed the gas in 1st gear and got worried because the car didn't move, after a few seconds, I realized I was smoking the tires. That's when I knew the car was truly engineered to go fast. I have had a few fast cars, but none as subtle to drive as the Z.

I think the suspension is so comfortable and the stock exhaust is so quiet that you don't feel like you are going that fast in these cars. Be careful, because there are a lot of wrecked and rebuilt title Z06 cars out there probably because those folks didn't realize how fast the car is.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal

Shakey
I know exactly what you are talking about. My street rod with a direct cable attached to a carburetor feels crisper and quicker off the line, even though ultimately the Z06 is faster. I only have to think about spinning the rear tires and they are, like instantaneously.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tjschraf
"it's not that fast"
She's lugging it around...and probably with Active Handling on full nanny mode.

Step 1: Put mom in passenger seat

Step 2: Bring M12 up to 3k RPM in first - at about a 20-30 MPH roll in Competition Mode.

Step 3: Mash throttle and hold on seeing if you can shift fast enough...1-2 and then 2-3

**This is best enjoyed at around 50 ambient temps. If 90+, make sure and tune out IAT Timing reduction with a quick tune.

3000# and 400HP is plenty fast.

To the additional poster...agreed look at the time slips for current 400+ HP cars carrying around 3800-4200#. These old Zs are still pretty cool rides trapping 114-117 pretty easily.

However, feel free to put the blower on it, you'll have plenty of support around here!!

Last edited by Closer_2001; 05-22-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mom borrowing my z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mom borrowing my z06