Sponsored by:

[Z06] Opinions on 02 with Salvage Title

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Walshdaw
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Opinions on 02 with Salvage Title

Hi I have had my eye on this car and wanted to get some opinions... Ive never bought a salvage title and would be interested in knowing others experiences. Thank you! Dan

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...26163899&Log=0
Old 05-18-2016, 02:32 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Way too many unknowns for me to ever consider buying a salvage title car. I suggest you keep looking
The following users liked this post:
95rtturbo (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:28 PM
wrkdWS6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I've never bought a car with a salvaged/rebuilt title and probably never would. Like said above, too many unknowns. When I was a teenager I bashed up my Firebird pretty bad (frame damage), had it fixed and the car just wasn't the same afterwards. I ended up selling it because the whole thing just drove me nuts. On the flip side, the cars are cheap but future resale value will always be lower and it will definitely be more difficult to sell when that time comes. I am sure there are folks out there who have taken the chance and made out just fine and laughed all the way to the bank. If you decide to do it, I would have a Corvette professional examine the hell out of the car both on and off a lift. I would also suggest a very thorough test drive to make sure the car tracks straight etc.

If you keep searching you will eventually find one for a couple/few grand more that is still virgin. It will have higher miles than the one you posted but that's a trade-off I would take in a second.

Last edited by wrkdWS6; 05-18-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:22 PM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

That car will never be the same don't do it!!! Plus the price is a little high for being an R-Title I just bought my 01 with 30K miles for $21k clear title. I would only buy an R-Title car if it were a beater under $5k and I planned on keeping it forever. As both above said too many unknowns also.........................keep looking man.
The following users liked this post:
95rtturbo (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 05:58 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Don't do it, you never know what and how many problems it has and some aren't very obvious like water damage from flooding. Another problem is most insurance companies don't like to insure a salvaged title car and if they do they're most likely going to charge more. Wait for a better deal.

Steve
Old 05-18-2016, 07:32 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

Getting insurance might be an issue. Selling it WILL be an issue. You will likely have to pay cash as a bank / credit union may not lend for a branded title car.

If you were to plan on keeping until it is ready for the junk yard, it may be OK. The ad does say he has pictures of the damage before repairs. Look at them. Also, when did the damage occur? How many miles has the car been driven since? Lastly, have it inspected by a qualified mechanic.

My personal opinion is the price is high and I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the insurance issue. The insurance company may not allow collision coverage which means you wreck it, you pay for the repairs or suffer the loss of the vehicle.

Last edited by 3sACROWD; 05-18-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:23 AM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

To bad it's a salvage, it's a nice looking machine! Keep looking, your's is out there! Mine took 10 months to find, but definately worth the wait, Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:08 AM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

He says he has pictures of the damage before it was fixed... check out the pictures and get a better idea of how bad the damage was.

Not a bad starting price for such a low mile car.. I bet you can talk him down a few G's.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:14 AM
Jon B.
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Considering you can find Z06's without the rebuilt/salvage title similarly priced I wouldn't even come close to considering that car. It's worth about HALF what a car with a clean title is worth. So, if you feel like burning money I've got an address I can send you cause I'm always looking for extra.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon B.
Considering you can find Z06's without the rebuilt/salvage title similarly priced I wouldn't even come close to considering that car. It's worth about HALF what a car with a clean title is worth. So, if you feel like burning money I've got an address I can send you cause I'm always looking for extra.
I disagree. A Z06 with those low miles will run you far north of 20K.

Since he has pics of the damage, I would entertain this one. Ask for any documentation regarding the repair. Have the frame inspected by a reputable body guy. Then, if everything checks out, offer him 14K and see if he bites. I would do it all day long for that price.

Shakey
Old 05-19-2016, 12:25 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Only way Id buy a salvage title z is for a dedicated track day car. Good chance your going to bang up a track car anyway so why pay top dollar for a clean title.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:42 PM
Jon B.
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
I disagree. A Z06 with those low miles will run you far north of 20K.

Since he has pics of the damage, I would entertain this one. Ask for any documentation regarding the repair. Have the frame inspected by a reputable body guy. Then, if everything checks out, offer him 14K and see if he bites. I would do it all day long for that price.

Shakey
Notice I didn't mention mileage? You can find Z06's in that price range all day. Mileage is a moot point when a car has a garbage title.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:44 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
Only way Id buy a salvage title z is for a dedicated track day car. Good chance your going to bang up a track car anyway so why pay top dollar for a clean title.
Most vehicles are totalled, considered a total loss if the repairs exceed the value of the vehicle, so if that Z was worth over $20k, it probably means the damage is severe, most likely frame damage, but if your going to use it as a track car the damage wouldn't matter as much. I think $10k would be fair.

Steve
Old 05-19-2016, 12:47 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon B.
Notice I didn't mention mileage? You can find Z06's in that price range all day. Mileage is a moot point when a car has a garbage title.
And notice I didn't recommend going into it blindly. Do your homework, get a good price, and you are golden. You don't think you could sell a car that you paid 14K today for 10K in 2 years? I bet your 20K cream puffs will lose 4K in about the same amount of time.

Bottom line is that if you plan to keep the car for a few years and can determine, without a doubt, the extent of the damage, you should be fine. Don't plan on flipping it in a year for even $$. That won't happen.

Shakey
Old 05-19-2016, 05:37 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by imjdoggie
That car will never be the same don't do it!!! Plus the price is a little high for being an R-Title I just bought my 01 with 30K miles for $21k clear title. I would only buy an R-Title car if it were a beater under $5k and I planned on keeping it forever. As both above said too many unknowns also.........................keep looking man.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:41 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Buying a corvette with a salvage title is like buying a boat! The two best days of ownership are the day you by it and the day you sell it. All day in between are nothing a big hole in the water, listen... can you hear the big sucking sounds, those are your monies going down the hole
Old 05-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

You haven't said what are you going to do with it?

Mine was a rebuilt title, little different, but the idea is the same..buy what you can, upgrade everything else...

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on 02 with Salvage Title

Old 05-19-2016, 10:47 PM
Walshdaw
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate everyones feedback.. I think I will continue my search.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:47 PM
flyingmonkey1
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would at least go and see the car in person and see how it drives if there is any damage etc...I've owned plenty of salvage/rebuilt cars (albeit most were old camaros or firebirds) and haven't had any additional trouble with them. The key is inspecting the car when you're buying it to make sure there isn't any damage hidden.

My current C5Z (60k miles) is a salvage title bought from an insurance auction. It had some damage to the fenders + bumper but no frame damage. Easy enough repairs and drives like new after an alignment. I would at least check the car out as it seems pretty reasonably prices and I'm sure you could talk him down a little.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 PM
z06Don
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The price is way to high for a salvage titled vehicle....some states will not allow totaled vehicles to be titled in their state...I used to handle total losses for a major insurance company all over the country.....I would only pay salvage value for any vehicle that has a salvage title...the owner has already been paid the full value of the vehicle less the salvage value because he wanted to retain the salvage in hope of making a profit at somebody elses expense....even if you are able to get it titled in your state the most you can hope to insure it for is salvage value....and that value will be determined by the insurance company....check with them first....but in my opinion unless you will never use it on the street.....stay away from it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Opinions on 02 with Salvage Title