Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] How many Z06 owners use theirs primarly for track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:43 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

my Z is a toy.. nothing more, nothing less.. 2 track days, ( intermediate run group, 14 sessions total so far ) multiple auto x's, handful of drag strip passes and bunch of mexico street runs... my car has never been to a car show and prolly never will.. very well cared for and maintained by myself.. pretty sad to own a zo6 and not enjoy its performance abilities.
The following users liked this post:
heypal (06-06-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 06:55 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Acid666
Lol that's awesome. I do vinyl work on the side and was considering making my Millennium Z look like the Lemans Vette for when I track it just for the hell of it.
Like this GT3 done up in the old Martini Porsche wrap?

If you could do the C5Rs after race look like the Martini Porsche would be cool.

Mark
Old 05-20-2016, 08:06 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Weekend toy/project/fun/street car here. I used to do a lot of drag racing before I got this car, thought I would do more with it but realized that in stock form they really aren't well suited for it IMO. It's a very well built car but the driveline is not strong enough in stock form to handle it. If you really want to race these in the 1/4 you need to upgrade the entire driveline, aside from the engine. Way to easy to do major damage in stock form. Realized that was going to get really expensive so decided to keep it close to stock and enjoy it as a street car. Would like to do some hpde events but it is a bit out of my price range with all the additional costs associated with it, not to mention the potential to wreck it. I like to keep it nice but never had it in a car show, not my scene. It's funny how some guys get all worked up that others don't track there cars. I couldn't care less if someone bought there car new, parked it in the garage and never took the plastic wrap off it or if another guy wants to drive it until the wheels fall off. Whatever makes you happy
Old 05-20-2016, 10:04 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The only time my Z hits the street is to drive it to the track.

To the OP, just because some of us track our cars does not mean we don't take care of them.
heypal (06-06-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 10:14 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by spdislife
The only time my Z hits the street is to drive it to the track.

To the OP, just because some of us track our cars does not mean we don't take care of them.
This^^

heypal (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 06:56 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

That's exactly what I mean
Old 05-21-2016, 08:44 AM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by spdislife
That's exactly what I mean
They are multi use vehicle's they are not collector cars and are meant to be driven......period!
Old 05-21-2016, 11:23 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought mine in Oct '11 primarily as a track car. I didn't drive it a ton on the street and on the track is where she shined. I was already at the Advanced level when I got it and did 22 track days with it. I enjoyed driving it on the street on occasion but also found it somewhat boring because you really couldn't do much with it after having tracked it.

I sold it last month with a new baby on the way and to focus on other ventures.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:26 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I can tell you this, I took my car to an all Vette show recently and left all the track stuff on the car including the slicks and numbers.

People thought my car was a damn UFO or something, those waxers could not fathom I actually used my car for track duty.
Way back when I had to go to a wedding for one of my office mates.. I decided to take the Corvette rather than a van, so I unloaded the car off the trailer and took the numbers off and washed and waxed it, but I left the DOT slicks on the car, it was a sunny day after all....

As I pull into the parking lot a guy pulls in next to me and says... "hey man, neat car, there was one just like this that was at the autocross last weekend, same color and everything.... that guy kicked butt (I had FTD)....".. I just chuckled and said ... " that was this car"... He said... "no way, that car was all decked out with numbers and had slicks and was all set up".. I just pointed to the tires, and said... "You mean like those tires.."... He about lost it when he saw the tires and the huge negative camber and he realized that this was indeed the same car he saw last weekend being thrashed..

Last edited by Solofast; 05-21-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:41 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I enjoyed driving it on the street on occasion but also found it somewhat boring because you really couldn't do much with it after having tracked it.

I sold it last month with a new baby on the way and to focus on other ventures.
Same here. Driving it on the street or even a windy back road is anticlimactic now.

Good luck with the new baby and your other ventures
Old 05-21-2016, 03:59 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
Way back when I had to go to a wedding for one of my office mates.. I decided to take the Corvette rather than a van, so I unloaded the car off the trailer and took the numbers off and washed and waxed it, but I left the DOT slicks on the car, it was a sunny day after all....

As I pull into the parking lot a guy pulls in next to me and says... "hey man, neat car, there was one just like this that was at the autocross last weekend, same color and everything.... that guy kicked butt (I had FTD)....".. I just chuckled and said ... " that was this car"... He said... "no way, that car was all decked out with numbers and had slicks and was all set up".. I just pointed to the tires, and said... "You mean like those tires.."... He about lost it when he saw the tires and the huge negative camber and he realized that this was indeed the same car he saw last weekend being thrashed..

Awesome.

Should have seen all the faces when I pulled in the show and the slicks were throwing rocks lol.....jaw dropper.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:30 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Track car/show car

I can tell you this, I took my car to an all Vette show recently and left all the track stuff on the car including the slicks and numbers.

People thought my car was a damn UFO or something, those waxers could not fathom I actually used my car for track duty.
Got my 02 Z three months ago and I'm still doing mods, I intend on tracking the car, but I'm also building it to make it look like a track car for appearance purposes. Took it to a few shows already and the folks really like its track ready appearance.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Should have seen all the faces when I pulled in the show and the slicks were throwing rocks lol.....jaw dropper.
Nothing says grip like a shower of pebbles in the fender wells, that 's like music to me.....
Old 05-22-2016, 10:32 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
I'm also building it to make it look like a track car for appearance purposes. Took it to a few shows already
Old 05-22-2016, 04:34 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by fisher auto
They are multi use vehicle's they are not collector cars and are meant to be driven......period!
It's funny how many of you noobs think there's an obligation to race your cars. Have you ever considered that some people live in areas bereft of race tracks? Somebody that buys a car new; it's been a dream car for decades that they've always longed for, but couldn't afford until they were older, and not interested in racing. I know it's not a collectible, and could care less about spending money on mods that can devalue the car; just to enjoy it my way. So take your opinions about how I should use my car, and stick them in a dark place.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:31 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zeevette
It's funny how many of you noobs think there's an obligation to race your cars. Have you ever considered that some people live in areas bereft of race tracks? Somebody that buys a car new; it's been a dream car for decades that they've always longed for, but couldn't afford until they were older, and not interested in racing. I know it's not a collectible, and could care less about spending money on mods that can devalue the car; just to enjoy it my way. So take your opinions about how I should use my car, and stick them in a dark place.
Noob now that's funny .... Do what you want with your car sonny because I could care less!!!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 05:33 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fisher auto
Noob now that's funny .... Do what you want with your car sonny because I could care less!!!!!
And my opinion is like your azzhole everyone got one!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:01 PM
juggernautZ06
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 62 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

I drag race mine. Not every week but it has been down the strip more than a few times. It's no Trailer Queen. Drive it on the street it is my cruiser. Still drive it to the beach.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How many Z06 owners use theirs primarly for track?