Sponsored by:

[Z06] Opinion on two potential cars for purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:48 AM
white76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinion on two potential cars for purchase

I have been looking at two c5 Z06 cars and having a difficult time deciding.
Both 2001 same color and trim.

Car 1 is an original owner (he is now in his mid 70s) with 72,000 miles for $17K. Always serviced at the dealer. Religious maintenance and no major issues ever with the car. Only flaw is a small scrape in the bumper. Stock. No mods. New tires.

Car 2 is at a dealer has had, IIRC, 5 different owners. Previous owner has had it the longest of any. It seemed like it changed owners mostly within the first five years. 44,000 miles interior and exterior are excellent for $20K. It will need new tires soon. I have asked the dealer to pull maintenance records. Carfax just shows a lot of "vehicle serviced". This car is lowered, has borla exhaust, c6 shifter and powder coated dark gray wheels. All mods that I do like.

So... which do you feel would be a better long term choice for reliability.. the 30k lower miles for a $3k premium with no owner history (I am concerned it may have been a hard 44k miles but it does run and drive perfectly) or documented well cared for car with more miles that owner says has never been raced or beat on?
Old 07-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by white76
I have been looking at two c5 Z06 cars and having a difficult time deciding.
Both 2001 same color and trim.

Car 1 is an original owner (he is now in his mid 70s) with 72,000 miles for $17K. Always serviced at the dealer. Religious maintenance and no major issues ever with the car. Only flaw is a small scrape in the bumper. Stock. No mods. New tires.

Car 2 is at a dealer has had, IIRC, 5 different owners. Previous owner has had it the longest of any. It seemed like it changed owners mostly within the first five years. 44,000 miles interior and exterior are excellent for $20K. It will need new tires soon. I have asked the dealer to pull maintenance records. Carfax just shows a lot of "vehicle serviced". This car is lowered, has borla exhaust, c6 shifter and powder coated dark gray wheels. All mods that I do like.

So... which do you feel would be a better long term choice for reliability.. the 30k lower miles for a $3k premium with no owner history (I am concerned it may have been a hard 44k miles but it does run and drive perfectly) or documented well cared for car with more miles that owner says has never been raced or beat on?
If you can get #2 up on a lift and have a good mechanic give it the once over, I think that's your car. I wouldn't be afraid of the ownership history if the car was well maintained. Mine had several owners and checked out perfectly. And since it's got the mods you would do anyway, that's the icing.

Shakey
Old 07-08-2016, 11:29 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Also car #2
Old 07-08-2016, 11:32 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree with Shakey. 30,000 less miles with the add-ons you'd have put on anyway is probably worth the $3G's--though truth be told, only the Borla's and the shifter would cost money. If the wheels are the OEM dark gray, they're stock. You say Carfax only shows a lot of "vehicle serviced"--I never used Carfax enough to know if it makes a distinction between service and repairs, but if it does, then the good side of owner maintenance is showing itself.

Multiple owners isn't the death call that a lot of folks put stock in. I'm the 10th owner; I bought my '03z in '12 w/25,000 miles on it. Four different dealers had it for a total of almost 18 months as I recall; two PP owners had it for less than 6 months each. I think they were poor slobs who got caught in the '08 economy--one bought in late summer '07 and sold in Jan08, the other bought in Sept08 and sold in Feb09. (all significant burfday mumps here--that's why I remembered) The car passed a mechanical inspection on a lift, so I took a chance. The clutch went out at 86k, and that wasn't me--so maybe a previous owner leaned on it a little--it's a z06; nobody doesn't check the gas pedal's function on a z; a coupe or vert, maybe, a z, no. They're lyin'. "72 years old".... HA! when he was 60, I'll bet he tried at least twice to put his foot through it. I'm 64, and th'only time I can't hear the stereo blastin' is on the on ramp.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Sorry guys I'm going with #1, you could probably beat him up to $15k. The idea of a one owner obviously driven car not a garage queen with no mods really appeals to me. Heck if you're really on a budget you could get some plastip for cheap and lower the car on the factory bolts for less than $100 probably. Go to the for sale section on the forum here and get some go fast goodies for a fraction of the cost and do what you want to the car.

Last edited by imjdoggie; 07-08-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:03 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

#1 It's like there's a glowing sign, but not all can see.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Door Number One as well. Both of the deals you can beat down a little. That gives you the money to do your own mods. I would not worry about the milage especially if it has a known history.

Whatever you choose I hope it works out for you.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

#1, Why? because it still (I think) has the Ti's, and they are becoming pricy and after some time with the Borla's an the general road noise that that Z's have (if you plan on driving more then on weekends) you'll be shopping for Ti's before long for #2. And really the millage difference isn't a big deal. Heck, those extra miles could be at a 1/4 mile at a time.

Oh and don't beat down the price,(except at the dealer) because if and when you go to sell/trade (now your Z) your not going to want to take a bath, are you? It's time the C5Zs value to start going up.

Mark

Last edited by Moto One; 07-08-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:40 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Since you live in MN it most likely won't be your DD, so you have lots of years miles wise from either one. Also, tire choices for original rims are few and can run from $800 to $1400 for a set, so #1 is even more cost effective vs #2.
Everything else being equal, I prefer single owner cars, so #1 gets my vote.
Good luck which ever way you go!
Old 07-11-2016, 07:31 PM
vetrnz06
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

car #1. one owner is a big sell for me and the maintenace history.i just bet it hasn't been beat on either! hopefully it wont be a daily driver especially on I94. was there again last summer and that hwy is rough! had to have my fillings checked when i get home. hopefully the one buy is red! good luck.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:48 PM
furious427
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 319 Posts

#1 also, I wouldn't worry to much about the mileage. I love the 1 owner car, just means he purchased it and has cared for it from day one. Cars with a lot of owners scare me, not saying there aren't great ones out there, but it always makes me wonder.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:01 PM
white76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. After going back and forth with the dealer, I ended up passing on the lower mileage car and bought Car #1. Can't believe I own a Z06! I will post pictures soon. Very happy with my purchase!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:54 PM
furious427
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by white76
Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. After going back and forth with the dealer, I ended up passing on the lower mileage car and bought Car #1. Can't believe I own a Z06! I will post pictures soon. Very happy with my purchase!
Congrats man, in my opinion you got the better car. Let the modding begin.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:42 PM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Good choice man I was so hoping you bought #1, thanks for updating us now post pics please.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on two potential cars for purchase

Quick Reply: [Z06] Opinion on two potential cars for purchase