Sponsored by:

[Z06] proper jacking technique

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Walshdaw
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default proper jacking technique

I have read/reviewed several post about jacking up the car and want to see if what I am planning to do would be considered safe/proper??

If I used two jacks on the front right and front left (on side of car, with jack pucks) to lift the car at the same time and then put jack stands in place.. followed by the same procedure for the rear would this be ok in place of using a cross brace to lift in the preferred location?

Thank you!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:41 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Yes, there are a few acceptable jacking locations including what you stated.
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2016, 12:36 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

I always jack mine with a 2x6 under the engine cradle and the rear suspension cradle. Then place jackstands under the 2x6. Very quick, simple and safe way to raise the car.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:24 PM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
I always jack mine with a 2x6 under the engine cradle and the rear suspension cradle. Then place jackstands under the 2x6. Very quick, simple and safe way to raise the car.
Exactly how I do it.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,135 Likes on 592 Posts

In the front, I drive the wheels up on a couple of 2x4s. Then I run my floor jack under the car with a piece of 6x24 piece of 3/4 plywood on the jack pad. I put that under the rear cross member of the front suspension cradle or under the front crossmember of the rear suspension cradle and lift there.

Then I install jacking pucks–Reverse Logic makes the best ones. Katech's are good, too–and support them with jack stands.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Over the past 15 years I have used a single point on each side where the front brace for the seats ties in to the frame, this is the neutral balance point and picks up front/rear wheels at the same time. (I do not place the jack so as to lift on the rocker body panel under wrap.) The lift point of my jack (Sears light weight low profile) fits in the triangle of the tie brace.

I have jack stands that have been modified with foot long tops that have a 1/4 inch of soft rubber that I place at the frame jack points.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:18 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Walshdaw
If I used two jacks on the front right and front left (on side of car, with jack pucks) to lift the car at the same time and then put jack stands in place.. followed by the same procedure for the rear would this be ok in place of using a cross brace to lift in the preferred location?

Thank you!
No problems with that. As a matter of fact I've done only one side at a time and placed a jack stand under the engine cradle on one side and then done the other side.

Get notified of new replies

To proper jacking technique

Quick Reply: [Z06] proper jacking technique