Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Central FL cam install ($3200-3800) fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:48 AM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Trust me. If you have done all of that, you are one. Just because it's not the way you make your living, doesn't mean you aren't a mechanic.

For some it's like saying, "you don't have to be a surgeon to remove your appendix, just cut in there and give it a try"....

If you can successfully remove your appendix, you probably are (or should be) a surgeon......

Shakey

I completely disagree with you.

To me a mechanic would be knowledgable in all types of cars and brands...

I can honestly say the amount of research I've done only benefits me and or limits me to the LS1 based engine or the C5 in general.

I would by no means call my self a mechanic. I find it hilarious, even my neighbors would come by and ask if I was a mechanic, when I say no thier jaws drop as they see my rear cradle and drive line on the garage floor lol

Last edited by chassed; 07-25-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-2016, 09:57 AM
furious427
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 319 Posts

Agree'd, I just finished up doing my clutch, by myself on the floor with jack stands. Did i know a little bit about clutches? Yes but never did one like this before. So I researched it a ton and read as much as possible. By the time it came to do the job I had read so much and seen so many pics i already new what to expect. Took me like 12 hr's total to do it taking my time and cleaning everything ect. Now I am waiting for my headers to get here, once they do I will be doing a CAI, Cam, springs, seals, rods, Headers and o/r x pipe, ballancer, timing chain, oil pump, water pump and whatever else for that job. Then it will get tuned. I understand most people are affraid to tackle that, but research it, take your time, and do not rush anything and you will be amazed how much you can do. And yah you might need to buy a few specialty tools, but thats the fun of it and with the $ you save doing it yourself, your still ahead even with buying some tools.
The following users liked this post:
chassed (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:22 PM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by chassed
I completely disagree with you.

To me a mechanic would be knowledgable in all types of cars and brands...

I can honestly say the amount of research I've done only benefits me and or limits me to the LS1 based engine or the C5 in general.

I would by no means call my self a mechanic. I find it hilarious, even my neighbors would come by and ask if I was a mechanic, when I say no thier jaws drop as they see my rear cradle and drive line on the garage floor lol
You could split the difference and just say mechanically inclined.
The following users liked this post:
chassed (07-25-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 04:51 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

NOOOOOOOOPPPEEEEEE!!!! Way too expensive. Can you say corvette tax?

I paid about $1800 for a cam, install, dyno, springs, push rods, etc.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:57 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by albodent
First quote was from Next Level Performance for 3800. They wanted to remove the engine for the cam swap. Second quote was from Redline in Pompano beach for 3290, both without tax.

Both shops came recommended from friends who have gotten work there before and know LS engines.

I feel that I wont get the bang for my buck this route. Might just do valve springs myself and go with a procharger.

Why would anyone pull the motor just for a cam swap? These engines were designed to be very easy to do a cam swap. Hell, you don't even have to pull the intake manifold to do one, let alone the entire engine! I've worked on old school sbc's & bbc's, gen 2 Lt1's and the ls engine is very easy to work on IMO.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:49 PM
scott5
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I got quoted 1400 for install and all parts Minus the time because I have my own tuner that I use that the shop does not. For me personally its cheaper for me to pay someone to do it so I can continue doing side work on the weekends rather than taking the time to do it myself.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:52 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

PM sent
Old 07-31-2016, 12:02 PM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NosLaser
Anyone around the south Florida area (specifically Fort Myers) PM me and I will get you done for MUCH less than those prices for the install.
Im slightly north of ft myers, any decent shops around that can install upp twin turbo kit, meth, tune, ect?
Old 07-31-2016, 01:20 PM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
Im slightly north of ft myers, any decent shops around that can install upp twin turbo kit, meth, tune, ect?
PM'ed
Old 07-31-2016, 02:57 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Why not hit up Matt at FSP? Good guy and can do a good job.

HT
Old 07-31-2016, 07:49 PM
furious427
Drifting

Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
Why not hit up Matt at FSP? Good guy and can do a good job.

HT
Man I have called that guy and left a few messages, never got a call back, I messaged him on facebook also, he don't get back to you. I wanted to have him tune my car but I guess he is just to busy.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by furious465
Man I have called that guy and left a few messages, never got a call back, I messaged him on facebook also, he don't get back to you. I wanted to have him tune my car but I guess he is just to busy.
Just got off the phone with Matt. Unfortunately it can happen that calls can slip through the cracks. Regardless he is expecting your call in the AM if you would still consider him as an option. He's the best over that way and is interested in helping you out.

If for some reason you don't get any satisfaction, send me a PM and I'll rip him a new rear bumper.

Good luck!

HT
Old 08-01-2016, 06:35 AM
furious427
Drifting

Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
Just got off the phone with Matt. Unfortunately it can happen that calls can slip through the cracks. Regardless he is expecting your call in the AM if you would still consider him as an option. He's the best over that way and is interested in helping you out.

If for some reason you don't get any satisfaction, send me a PM and I'll rip him a new rear bumper.

Good luck!

HT
I appreciate that, I left 2 messages and a facebook PM. He has my phone # and a PM from me that was never returned. If he wants to tune my car all he has to do is call me back. I have not got the car tuned yet so I would still like him to do it because he came highly recommended from a few people on this site. He also has a dyno which I really like. I am going to start installing all the go fast parts this week so I should be ready to go in in a few weeks for a tune.

Last edited by furious427; 08-01-2016 at 06:36 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Central FL cam install ($3200-3800) fair price?