Sponsored by:

[Z06] Passenger Side Rearend Fluid Leak--Help Diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 07:19 PM
davidk72008
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger Side Rearend Fluid Leak--Help Diagnose

I have a passenger side rearend leak that first popped up during a track day I did in May. I hardly drove the car over the last 3 months due to work and being out of town, but I have since replaced the passenger axle seal (still leaked) and I have just replaced the passenger side cover seal (still leaked). Any other ideas?

The driver side is dry, just the passenger side exhaust and diff housing are wet. It's a pretty bad leak...It leaves a small pool every time I park from driving it somewhere, and the back of my car is covered with rearend oil.

I have read about the vent, but most people say that it leaks out on the drivers side if it leaks. What am I missing?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

What color is the fluid? Red (Trans) or Black (Diff)? Is the vent tube still there? If not it will run down the right side of the Trans, or you could have an overfilled Diff that vents on top and goes where ever it wants. Also check for cracks in the case.

Mark
Old 08-08-2016, 11:46 AM
davidk72008
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moto One
What color is the fluid? Red (Trans) or Black (Diff)? Is the vent tube still there? If not it will run down the right side of the Trans, or you could have an overfilled Diff that vents on top and goes where ever it wants. Also check for cracks in the case.

Mark
Its diff fluid, definitely not trans. I haven't checked to see if the vent tube is still there, so ill check for it next. I thought that if it were the vent that it would've run down the left side of the diff, not the right? I'm also going to check really good for cracks the next time im under it.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Moto One
Drifting

It's easy for the diff to be over-filled and puke some out. Good luck.

Mark
Old 08-11-2016, 08:03 AM
davidk72008
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moto One
It's easy for the diff to be over-filled and puke some out. Good luck.

Mark
I hope that's what it is, but I have my doubts since no fluid is leaking down the driver's side, just passenger. I was hoping to have gotten a chance to look at it again this week, but I have been slammed with work. Maybe this weekend I can figure it out.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:43 AM
davidk72008
Instructor

Figured I would update this with what I found. So I finally got a chance to work on it again last week, and I found the source of the leak. I had to go buy a mirror to use to trace it up to it's highest point, and it was coming out between the back cover and the differential housing at the very top right bolt. Easy fix right, just remove and replace the o-ring and RTV. Wrong...apparently the previous owners of this diff had the cover off for whatever reason, and they broke off the top two bolts into the diff housing when re-installing. Guess they figured the cover needed a ton of torque

I re-installed the cover as-is with some new RTV and it is fixed for now. In order to really fix it for good I will need to drop the cradle down some to get to those top two bolts with an easy-out.

Took it on a drive into Birmingham yesterday, no leaks. However, on the way back the car died on me. Started cutting out intermittently, then eventually just lost all power. Cruised to a stop on 459 and got it towed home. Haven't gotten a chance to really look at it yet, but I'm pretty sure it is the fuel pump or the pump relay. If it is the pump, the car will be getting a racetronix or Lingenfelter pump replacement so that it can handle a little more power in the future if needed.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Glad to see you found the source of the leak.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger Side Rearend Fluid Leak--Help Diagnose

Quick Reply: [Z06] Passenger Side Rearend Fluid Leak--Help Diagnose