Sponsored by:

[Z06] Vararam VR-B2 Paper Filter Option

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 11:09 AM
lownslo93
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam VR-B2 Paper Filter Option

After doing a lot of research and not seeing much information confirming a paper element that works in that intake. I bought my Z with one that had a K&N filter in it and I hate all oil filters and prefer my Wix/Napa Gold filters. I may have found one that works after a little modification to the clamps and filter. I bought a Napa 9186 filter. It is 1" longer in length, 1/2" thicker, and same width as the old K&N. Only $20 bucks and I can keep my MAF clean all year.

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FIL9186/FIL9186

To get the filter to fit I had to trim both ends as much as I dare.

I had to trim the foam on each end to get the pink part of the filter to tuck under inside the Vararam and it lays nicely.

Being how the filter is too thick for the clamps I had to drill out the rivets and I mocked up with screws for now. I held the intake together and put the lower lock in place and used a self-exciting center punch to make 2 marks and drill a small hole. Repeated on the other side.

Now it will clamp together like before. I will either get new rivets for it or use a small machine screws to hold in place and RTV the old holes.

And just to be safe I will probably silicon around the filter to make sure it is completely sealed on towards intake side just for peace of mind. Hope this helps other people
Old 08-25-2016, 12:15 PM
wrkdWS6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Nicely done, I refuse to use oiled filters too. Too much of a PITA if they get over oiled. For future reference, AEM and AFE produce non-oiled high performance washable air filters. I have one from each brand and they are excellent. When it comes time for a replacement might be worth checking to see if they have a filter that may fit the box.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM
lownslo93
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrkdWS6
Nicely done, I refuse to use oiled filters too. Too much of a PITA if they get over oiled. For future reference, AEM and AFE produce non-oiled high performance washable air filters. I have one from each brand and they are excellent. When it comes time for a replacement might be worth checking to see if they have a filter that may fit the box.
I checked into the AEM panel filters and don't think I found one that was close measurements wise.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:46 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

What is the main issue you guys have with k&n and other reusable filters, that it causes issues with the maf? Are there any other issues it causes? Im using the filter that came with my VR-B2.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:04 PM
wrkdWS6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
What is the main issue you guys have with k&n and other reusable filters, that it causes issues with the maf? Are there any other issues it causes? Im using the filter that came with my VR-B2.
Yeah, the MAF mainly. Years back I had a K&N on my Grand Prix and the throttle body would be sticky upon start up until I went with a paper filter, I'm thinking it was filter oil buildup. I've had some screwy MAF conditions on my Firebird despite taking extra care to not over oil the K&N so I went with a reusable non oiled filter and haven't had any issues. Although oiled I feel the Vararam filter is significantly better than a K&N which are just drenched.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:19 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Ok I see. I havn't oiled the 'green' filter that came with my VR-B2, Ive just cleaned it once or twice. I have heard of maf issues in the past with heavily oiled reusable filters.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam VR-B2 Paper Filter Option

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vararam VR-B2 Paper Filter Option