Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Picked up my new Z06!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Vistance
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[Deleted]

Last edited by Vistance; 12-16-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:30 PM
Scotty2000SS
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyc
shifter looks like the "Ecklers corvette" shifter
I have the same shifter as the OP. The one from Ecklers doesn't have a threaded shaft on the top. I can't figure out who makes it either. I ordered a new **** for it but it didn't fit. It's a weird thread on it.

Wonder who makes it?
Old 09-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Vistance
Racer

[Deleted]

Old 09-20-2016, 10:25 PM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Did Pro 5.0 ever release the C5 shifter that was supposedly in the works years ago? If so it kinda looks like their handles.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:49 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Congrats on the new Z06. Looks great.

Here are a few general comments.

Noise: If you have a lot of concrete or gravel type roads, the Z06s will have a lot of road noise. Tires will help. The quietest tires I have run are the current ties, Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

However, even then these cars have a lot of road noise. As someone else mentioned, insulation is very thin on these cars to keep weight down.

The other problem is the trunk noise. Nothing is separating the trunk and tire noise from the trunk to the cabin. I purchased a trunk tray and partition and could not believe how much it changed the entire noise problem in the car. I mean it really makes a difference but I can still hear the corsas sing. The tire noise was cut down more than half.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...deal-p-77.html

I got mine with the Z06 emblems. Like I said, it will really lower the cabin noise and I like the extra storage area to boot!

Shifter : The **** kind of looks like a Hurst shifter, but the rest looks like an Ecklers. Looks like you are going to change it out. Many people rave about the C6 Z06 shifter.

Here's a pic of the Ecklers shifter.

Radio: There is no volume indicator.

Oil Smell: Look for leaks onto exhaust pipe. However, I have noticed a slight smell when I have been out and pull mine back into the garage. Could be the brand of oil. I am running Amsoil.

Power Duct: I like that power duct. Here is one place you can buy it:
http://www.corvetteguys.com/corvette...7-2004-c5.html

Corrosion: Clean it off and see if there any pits or rust. Doubtful, but would not hurt to check. Might want to repaint it.

DIC: You figured it out.

Hope this helps

Last edited by bikeriderga; 09-21-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:00 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Vistance
Nevermind, I'm a dummy. I remember how I did it before, you have to actually see the display change to the options mode and then you push fuel. I got it to come up this time. Also took some pics of the shifter, any clues what kind this is? Also it looks like they cut away some of the noise isolation thing there so I'm guessing that's why I'm getting so much drivetrain nose from the shifter.

It looks like from this picture the shifter has been chewing up that insulation and getting it everywhere. I can also say those bolts rattle at certain RPMs as you go through the gears.
If you read up on the Zs GM left out the insulation to save weight so that's is why the console will get hot with headers and has road noise coming from the shifter area ,there is no insulation in this Z so do what most do gut the thing sound proof and heat insulation way better ride ..
Old 09-21-2016, 10:38 AM
Vistance
Racer

[Deleted]

Old 09-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I've seen some oily residue around cylinder heads on these cars a lot, you might want to jack it up and take a look.
Beautiful Z, I'm looking to sell my C6 and get a C6Z or possibly a C5Z if it's near perfect. I think since it is a few gens old and nearing 15 years, rattles smells etc are going to happen. I think a good idea with these is to change all the fluids, hoses belts, rubber asap. The engines are made like a tank if maintained, but parts surrounding it....not so much.
I love you car I used to have a MY 01. I miss her.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:16 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I think that shifter is a BPP (Breathless Performance Products). I bought a used one about 12 years ago, and it was a POS. Get a MGW, and that'll be that, unless it's too stiff. In this case , you'll want to do the "washer mod". I ended up cutting the stock overboot to fit over the aftermarket shifter, and it took care of the noise. I would venture that the road noise you're hearing is mostly tire noise. Some brands/models of performance tires are much quieter than others. As stated before, you have to add insulation, and a partition to quiet things down. I don't care for yellow, but that's a nice Z, and welcome!
Old 09-21-2016, 03:36 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

when i bought my 1st z06 i was all smiles for the first few hundred miles then started to realize it was noisy rode harsh

i had continental DW tires on the car there were loud i swapped to bridgestone RE760's witch helped cut a LOT of noise out then installed a pre cut insulation kit helped even more, i swapped shocks to 04 z06 and they helped the ride

the stock shifter is horrible mgw is the way to go but they do make going into reverse a little harder i usually go into one of the upper forward gears then reverse (1st, 3rd or 5th then reverse)

sweet looking car! enjoy it and as i was told once welcome to the madness!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:42 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

very sharp! congrats! Get an mgw and enjoy!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:41 AM
Z06 Zephyr
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

As for the 5th gear question, There is an electronic lockout that locks out reverse at a certain speed (like 5mph). It is possible to get in R once its locked out but it literally takes 2 hands.. so basically it will -never- happen in normal driving. The lockout can fail, and in that case.. if you do throw it into R at speed it will just grind. It will NOT go in gear. What I did for a while, was go to 6th then straight up into 5th. I had the same fear.

As for the mirror LEDs, LEDs weren't really popular back in 2000. All lights were incandescent and yellowish. GM wanted to put LED's in there but replicate the incandescent light output. You can change these to white but it takes some soldering and tiny LEDs.

EDIT: I love my flat stick MGW shifter as well. Had the Hurst before it.

Last edited by Z06 Zephyr; 11-06-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:28 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

why did he delete his posts?
Old 12-29-2016, 05:14 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chassed
why did he delete his posts?
Thats pretty weird, it seems like he deleted every single post he has ever made at CF. Probably a scammer, sold his car to a member and didnt want to be traced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Picked up my new Z06!