[Z06] Pls recommend clutch and flywheel for my set up

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Robby04
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Pls recommend clutch and flywheel for my set up

Hello,

Need some opinions. I want to upgrade my clutch and flywheel.

Car is making 580rwhp. Supercharged and full exhaust. Few other little things..

So the stock clutch is deffinatly on the way out. It's not happy about the power.

What clutch and lightweight flywheel combo would suit my set up best. Thanks for any input
Old 09-19-2016, 07:21 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Do you drag race/what kinda tires? Or just a street machine with not much launching? How important is pedal effort/ease of driving?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 PM
turboffr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Robby04
Hello, Need some opinions. I want to upgrade my clutch and flywheel. Car is making 580rwhp. Supercharged and full exhaust. Few other little things.. So the stock clutch is deffinatly on the way out. It's not happy about the power. What clutch and lightweight flywheel combo would suit my set up best. Thanks for any input
I like my Monster LT1-S twin disc. Very nice setup and shifts smooth. Holds 700 HP. The SC version holds 1000
Old 09-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Robby04
Racer

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Do you drag race/what kinda tires? Or just a street machine with not much launching? How important is pedal effort/ease of driving?
No drag racing, I'd say agressive street driving. May put it on the track once or twice a year for a few laps. Noting to wild. But I like a nice stiff clutch. The stock cluch w stock power felt too weak. Now it's like mush. I don't mind having alittle bite on take off in the pedal. But I don't want it too narly. I had a double sprung 6 puck act on a supra once and it was too much on the street.
Tires are nitto. Nt05. Radials in the rear. Regular ones in the front.
Thx

Last edited by Robby04; 09-19-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:09 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Like the guy above I have the Monster LT1-S and very happy with it. It should be plenty but you could always get the SC version to be safe. The S is a stock C7 clutch so pedal effort is not bad. Engagement window is slightly smaller than stock (typical of twins), minimal chatter. I think the SC uses a different friction material. Overall I love it. I'm only mid/low 400 HP but with the stock one my pedal was sticking to the floor, didn't feel great driving it hard. Zero issue so far with the LT1S with 50/50 street/track (road course) driving.

The guys at Monster are great too, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call and see what they say as well.

Last edited by aaronc7; 09-19-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Robby04
Racer

Originally Posted by turboffr
I like my Monster LT1-S twin disc. Very nice setup and shifts smooth. Holds 700 HP. The SC version holds 1000
Can I ask what kind of power your at, and did you paid it with a lightweight flywheel?
Thanks.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:15 PM
Robby04
Racer

Like the guy above I have the Monster LT1-S and very happy with it. It should be plenty but you could always get the SC version to be safe. The S is a stock C7 clutch so pedal effort is not bad. Engagement window is slightly smaller than stock (typical of twins), minimal chatter. I think the SC uses a different friction material. Overall I love it. I'm only mid/low 400 HP but with the stock one my pedal was sticking to the floor, didn't feel great driving it hard. Zero issue so far with the LT1S with 50/50 street/track (road course) driving.

The guys at Monster are great too, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call and see what they say as well.
Thanks for the input. I will give them a call.
Did you happen to add a lightweight flywheel?
I'm feeling a touch of lag with the supercharger. I'm hoping a lightweight flywheel will solve that.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:23 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

I bought mine 'new' but secondhand so I was stuck with the standard flywheel. Wanted the lightweight, but it was a hell of a deal so I said screw it. I am happy with it, with the cam, it's probably good that I went with the standard weight. Even the standard weight fw, the overall moment of inertia is less vs stock, so the lightweight should be really rev happy. That also means that the rpms will drop quicker between shifts etc... good thing to have for quick downshifts/rev matching/heel toe but daily street driving probably not as good.

If yours is a weekend fun car with no drag racing interest I wouldn't hesitate to get the lighter fw.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:51 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Mantic twin and I love it. Either way if you have or plan on adding a cam, don't get a lightweight flywheel, they are a bitch at idle.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:06 PM
Robby04
Racer

I bought mine 'new' but secondhand so I was stuck with the standard flywheel. Wanted the lightweight, but it was a hell of a deal so I said screw it. I am happy with it, with the cam, it's probably good that I went with the standard weight. Even the standard weight fw, the overall moment of inertia is less vs stock, so the lightweight should be really rev happy. That also means that the rpms will drop quicker between shifts etc... good thing to have for quick downshifts/rev matching/heel toe but daily street driving probably not as good.

If yours is a weekend fun car with no drag racing interest I wouldn't hesitate to get the lighter fw.
Good info. I highly considered a cam. But my car has 14k miles, and I kind of wanted to stick only to bolt ons. I ultimately decided to keep it all stock so I can go back to oem if I evet want. So now the car is plenty fast and I will not add a cam at any point. My only interest in the lw fy is to reduce the little but of lag I am experiencing. I was supprised it had any lag. It's deff a fun car. Not daily driven.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:42 PM
Robby04
Racer

Originally Posted by nullpointer
Mantic twin and I love it. Either way if you have or plan on adding a cam, don't get a lightweight flywheel, they are a bitch at idle.
Will look into this one also. No cam. How can I expect a lw fw to act on stock cam
Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 AM
turboffr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Can I ask what kind of power your at, and did you paid it with a lightweight flywheel? Thanks.
Haven't dyno'd it but it's behind an LS3 with big cam and supporting mods. If I had to guess I'd say around 475-500rwhp.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:18 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I am currently making 750/794 to the tire... I run the Mcleod RXT, Prior to that I ran the Mantic ER2 series ( which slipped like a ****).. For me, the Mcleod has been very nice. Great street manners, and flawless 1/2 mi roll racing... I don't drag race because I suck. When I did, the ER2 didn't like it at all.... I have heard great things about the Mantic twin disk.... I have a buddy who swears by it.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:27 PM
Robby04
Racer

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
I am currently making 750/794 to the tire... I run the Mcleod RXT, Prior to that I ran the Mantic ER2 series ( which slipped like a ****).. For me, the Mcleod has been very nice. Great street manners, and flawless 1/2 mi roll racing... I don't drag race because I suck. When I did, the ER2 didn't like it at all.... I have heard great things about the Mantic twin disk.... I have a buddy who swears by it.
Hey buddy,
Ok I'll deff look into that one. We're you at the same power levels on both clutches? Do you think the light weight fly wheel is a good move for me. My goal is to delete the little lag I'm feeling. The power at 580 is fine, I'm not gonna upgrade any further.
Thanks for the advise.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:59 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

NA I am at 550/530.... The Mantic ER2 claims to hold up to 700rwhp.. I removed it at maybe 3K miles when I rebuilt my diff. For me, the RXT was a great choice. GL bud.

Hey buddy,
Ok I'll deff look into that one. We're you at the same power levels on both clutches? Do you think the light weight fly wheel is a good move for me. My goal is to delete the little lag I'm feeling. The power at 580 is fine, I'm not gonna upgrade any further.
Thanks for the advise.

Get notified of new replies

To Pls recommend clutch and flywheel for my set up

Quick Reply: [Z06] Pls recommend clutch and flywheel for my set up