Sponsored by:

[Z06] best mild cam for sound & longevity

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:18 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by wrkdWS6
Since longevity is a concern I would recommend a cam that is on milder lobes. Some of the aggressive cam lobes being used these days will wear out valve springs every say 20k miles so that's something to be aware of. If you want some lope then you will want something with a little overlap to it. However, too much overlap will negatively affect driveability and emissions so that's another thing to keep in mind. Since you have the stock manifolds and h-pipe I would personally opt for something that has an appropriate intake and exhaust duration split that takes the exhaust restriction into account. I would speak with some known LS cam gurus to see what they can set you up with to achieve your goals. Some names that come to mind would be Ed Curtis at FTI, Martin Smallwood, Tony Mamo, Brian Tooley, Geoff at EPS, Pat G.

In addition to the cam you will also need/I would suggest considering:
-Valve springs (I would suggest a kit that includes retainers, locks, seals. Springs must be appropriate for selected camshaft)
-Pushrods (Must be appropriate length)
-Timing chain upgrade such as the LS2 chain (Not mandatory but a good idea. You will probably also need a dampener)
-Trunion upgrade kit for your stock rockers (Not mandatory but a good idea)
-UD pulley + belts (Not mandatory but something to consider while you are there)
-Dyno tune
-Gaskets
-Fluids
-LT Headers w/ X-Pipe (If you want to optimize the sound and power you get from the cam swap)

Hopefully I am not missing anything but that should give you a general idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm-U...ature=youtu.be Just an FYI. 230/236 595/595 on 112+4 comp custom BT Pack springs LS-7 lifters Kools headers HD push rods new oil pump ported stock heads GHL mufflers bullet cats VR stock intake few other bolt ons ,has been driven all across US go anywhere 450 RWHP on LMR rollers Houston TX. fun ride not over done. Just a FYI
Old 10-15-2016, 03:42 AM
jd86L98
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

224/230 114, enjoy!
Old 10-24-2016, 01:27 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by radar502
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm-U...ature=youtu.be Just an FYI. 230/236 595/595 on 112+4 comp custom BT Pack springs LS-7 lifters Kools headers HD push rods new oil pump ported stock heads GHL mufflers bullet cats VR stock intake few other bolt ons ,has been driven all across US go anywhere 450 RWHP on LMR rollers Houston TX. fun ride not over done. Just a FYI
Radar, that cam sounds great and the specs back up the sound.

Not radical, makes it almost a sleeper.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:48 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks ,the sleeper part at 7: 00am the neighbors might not agree LOL

Quick Reply: [Z06] best mild cam for sound & longevity