Sponsored by:

[Z06] Replaced valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:49 PM
JD_Ls7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replaced valve springs

This past weekend I replaced the valve springs for my first time using the trickflo compressor and the compressor hose tool to keep the valves up. When I finished up and turned her over she idled really well, up until the temp got to about 200 and then it started to idle rough and I got misfire code (P0300) went back and check all my connections and everything looked good. Has this happened to anyone else?
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2016, 08:01 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

New wires?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:04 PM
JD_Ls7
Instructor

Originally Posted by grantv
New wires?
I replaced the plugs and gapped them at .040
I'm going to go by XL parts tomorrow and get the OEM AC Delco wires and see if that maybe fixes it? If not then it could be a bad coil pack I'm guessing. I just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:36 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_Ls7
I replaced the plugs and gapped them at .040
I'm going to go by XL parts tomorrow and get the OEM AC Delco wires and see if that maybe fixes it? If not then it could be a bad coil pack I'm guessing. I just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else.
Easy to have an issue pulling wires... my guess.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:51 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

wires were also the first thing i thought of
Old 10-25-2016, 10:01 AM
JD_Ls7
Instructor

Alright, figured out my problem. A couple of the rocker arm bolts came loose. I was told by a guy I knows who's been a mechanic for 30+ years that when you add any attachment you generally should add 1-2 lbs. Because I used a 1/2-3/8 reducer and a 10in extension I went back and added 3 more lbs, so I went from 22 to 25 ft lbs and she runs like a champ!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Zeeb
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Alright, figured out my problem. A couple of the rocker arm bolts came loose. I was told by a guy I knows who's been a mechanic for 30+ years that when you add any attachment you generally should add 1-2 lbs. Because I used a 1/2-3/8 reducer and a 10in extension I went back and added 3 more lbs, so I went from 22 to 25 ft lbs and she runs like a champ!
Well I know your covers are back on, but this just doesn't sound right to me. The reducer tells me that you are using a 1/2" drive torque wrench. If it's a big honking wrench and 22 lb. ft. is at the bottom of the scale, and if it's not a pro quality wrench on top of that, the accuracy could be way off. No way your bolts should have come loose if you were just off by a couple of lb. ft. Best to use a quality 3/8 drive tq wrench with the tq setting well into the scale, and to torque each bolt with the lifter on the cam base circle. Some will argue the base circle piece, but that's how GM recommends doing it. Besides it's easy enough to do. If I were you I would check my torque wrench, and if it's not accurate, pull the covers....
Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 PM
JD_Ls7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well I know your covers are back on, but this just doesn't sound right to me. The reducer tells me that you are using a 1/2" drive torque wrench. If it's a big honking wrench and 22 lb. ft. is at the bottom of the scale, and if it's not a pro quality wrench on top of that, the accuracy could be way off. No way your bolts should have come loose if you were just off by a couple of lb. ft. Best to use a quality 3/8 drive tq wrench with the tq setting well into the scale, and to torque each bolt with the lifter on the cam base circle. Some will argue the base circle piece, but that's how GM recommends doing it. Besides it's easy enough to do. If I were you I would check my torque wrench, and if it's not accurate, pull the covers....
I had sent in the torque wrench to have calibrated about a month ago so I know it's accurate. I worked my way outward and who knows? I could have even messed up and missed one. I got on her today and she held up just fine. In a few days I'll take everything back off and recheck
Old 10-26-2016, 01:51 PM
furious427
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 319 Posts

I torqued mine to spec and used loc tight, been holding good so far.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 PM
racebum
Race Director

lot can throw off a reading, missing one, being at a weird angle. something not seated etc

it's not common but happens fairly often on flywheels where you have some movement that screws with the torque reading. 10 miles down the road you hear a terrible rattle
Old 10-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Zeeb
Intermediate

Sounds like you'll be fine, JD. For good measure, I still feel it's a good idea to torque the rockers with the springs unloaded. I used my remote starter switch which made rolling the engine to the right points very easy, of course. Good time to buy one if you don't have one already. For any cyl: Roll engine until exhaust lifter starts to move up - tq intake. Roll engine until intake lifter has come to full lift then is about half way back down - tq exhaust.
This is the method I've always used to position the lifters on my old school SBC to adjust pre-load.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:56 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

What springs are those?

Mine were yellow.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:16 AM
hanssl
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For good measure, I still feel it's a good idea to torque the rockers with the springs unloaded. I used my remote starter switch which made rolling the engine to the right points very easy, For any cyl: Roll engine until exhaust lifter starts to move up - tq intake. Roll engine until intake lifter has come to full lift then is about half way back down - tq exhaust.
This is the method I've always used to position the lifters on my old school SBC to adjust pre-load.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge here. I am planning a spring swap but I did not know the rocker had to be torqued with the spring unloaded.

I do not have a remote starter switch. Can I roll the engine by bumping the key? He do you prevent the engine from actually starting?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:51 AM
JD_Ls7
Instructor

Originally Posted by ~Josh
What springs are those?

Mine were yellow.
The blue ones I installed were the LS2 "beehive" springs.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:37 PM
torchred2002
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the two fuel injector fuses and unplug coilpacks and u can turn car over.
The following users liked this post:
hanssl (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 03:05 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

The blue ones I installed were the LS2 "beehive" springs.
Gotcha. Mine were the newer LS6 springs I bought through Summit.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:54 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Gotcha. Mine were the newer LS6 springs I bought through Summit.
it's the same spring. gm carried over the 04z spring to the ls2

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced valve springs

Old 10-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Zeeb
Intermediate

Hanssl - you should buy an inexpensive remote starter switch. Drive up your ramps - slip under the car with the starter switch alligator clip held with long reach pliers, and clip it on to your starter solenoid.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:57 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by racebum
it's the same spring. gm carried over the 04z spring to the ls2
Yeah but the color threw me for a loop.

My '01z springs had a blue stripe.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:34 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by hanssl
Please forgive my lack of knowledge here. I am planning a spring swap but I did not know the rocker had to be torqued with the spring unloaded.

I do not have a remote starter switch. Can I roll the engine by bumping the key? He do you prevent the engine from actually starting?
Each rocker should be torqued with the lifter on a low point. You set the motor to TDC compression Cyl 1 and do 8 of them, rotate 360 degrees to TDC compression Cyl 6 and do the other 8 rockers.

Use an offset wrench on the crank bolt.

Last edited by rbartick; 10-29-2016 at 09:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hanssl (10-31-2016)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Replaced valve springs