Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings with a C6 or C7 here......

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba
I agree that the C5 Z06 or FRC are classic beauties.

I have thoroughly enjoyed owning and modifying mine for the past 13 years.

I recently winter-prepped a C7 Z51 coupe for a lady whose husband passed away three years ago. After changing the oil, washing it, adding Sta-Bil to the gas tank, and filing it with gas, I took it for a short ride. The first thing I noticed was how much smaller it is in the interior than my C5. I am 6'3" tall and I could not get enough leg room and head room to be comfortable. And, there is no rear visibility.

Sorry C7 owners, but it is a loser!

Yeah, that C5 will shame most C7s........

Shakey
Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 PM
FNHOSTL1
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's just something about the C5 FRC/Z06 that makes me love it WAY more than the C6. The short notchback trunk and long nose really make these cars look incredible. I wouldn't turn down a C6 ZR1 just because of the powerplant alone and I am a fan of the C7 Z06, but it is way more over the top and "look at me" than the C5 Z. Just my opinion.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:55 PM
Drewster67
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:41 AM
HONK 3X
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my C5 Z, but I would drop it like a hot rock for a C6 Z.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:15 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

I feel that the C5/C6 will both age a lot more gracefully than the C7. C7 is a fantastic looking car, but will age quickly. It's an era specific design, much like the Bertone-like era early C4. Of course, how history looks back on a certain design, also depends on what the future holds, in terms of automotive trend.

As for the C5Z, I believe it does hold a certain place in history for a couple reasons:

1. Last pop up headlight car sold, phased out due to pedestrian impact standards
2. LS based engine
3. FRC roofline is unique and speaks back to the early C3's. The C5Z has a lean, light, fighter-like presence that surrounding gens don't have. It looks and feels like a lighter car....because it is.
4. Body has a "continuing curvature" design that will age VERY well. We've seen cars of this continuing curvature become icons of design decades later...250GTO, Etype Jag, etc. These cars use the flowing curvature before pure aero efficiency dictated design. C5's front fender curvatures to the wheels are VERY nice, as is the flowing profile sight-line.

In an era where "driver cars" are disappearing and brute force moved in, you see this retraction happening (see Porsche 911R). They sacrifice a bit of all out width, wideness, aggression, for a driver car. When you look at the C6Z and even more-so the C7Z...they've taken the "F16" out of Z06 and replaced it with F22...something of a dog fighter, to an air superiority machine...both great, but...the C5Z was the "driver" Corvette if you ask me...not too much, but just enough. It was the closest thing to the Porsche Clubsport or GT3 GM has done, as it focused on lightness and shedding mass, more than overpowering the mass.

The C5Z is one of the best cars GM ever produced, in it's relative market space. Huge value, huge capability...they just did the car right.

That's my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Ruger Brian (12-09-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I prefer the long sweeping rear glass look. The C6ZR1 is the most beautiful Corvette ever created IMHO.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:43 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Big fan of the hardtop here. Had a '99 and upgraded to an '04 Z. But when the C6Z came out, that was my dream car. Bought one in '08 and drove the **** out of it for 35k miles. The C6 Z06 kills them all. The C6 ZR1 is faster, but it doesn't have that LS7 V8. Pffft to the C7.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:45 PM
FNHOSTL1
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanAutoSports
I feel that the C5/C6 will both age a lot more gracefully than the C7. C7 is a fantastic looking car, but will age quickly. It's an era specific design, much like the Bertone-like era early C4. Of course, how history looks back on a certain design, also depends on what the future holds, in terms of automotive trend.

As for the C5Z, I believe it does hold a certain place in history for a couple reasons:

1. Last pop up headlight car sold, phased out due to pedestrian impact standards
2. LS based engine
3. FRC roofline is unique and speaks back to the early C3's. The C5Z has a lean, light, fighter-like presence that surrounding gens don't have. It looks and feels like a lighter car....because it is.
4. Body has a "continuing curvature" design that will age VERY well. We've seen cars of this continuing curvature become icons of design decades later...250GTO, Etype Jag, etc. These cars use the flowing curvature before pure aero efficiency dictated design. C5's front fender curvatures to the wheels are VERY nice, as is the flowing profile sight-line.

In an era where "driver cars" are disappearing and brute force moved in, you see this retraction happening (see Porsche 911R). They sacrifice a bit of all out width, wideness, aggression, for a driver car. When you look at the C6Z and even more-so the C7Z...they've taken the "F16" out of Z06 and replaced it with F22...something of a dog fighter, to an air superiority machine...both great, but...the C5Z was the "driver" Corvette if you ask me...not too much, but just enough. It was the closest thing to the Porsche Clubsport or GT3 GM has done, as it focused on lightness and shedding mass, more than overpowering the mass.

The C5Z is one of the best cars GM ever produced, in it's relative market space. Huge value, huge capability...they just did the car right.

That's my opinion.

Yup
Old 12-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

c5z with ls7 would been Perfect PERFECT car... c5z is just sexier and more robust over c6 and c7... the interior is just fine more then needed for performance car... the c7z doesnt have the classic and sexy lines from the c7z but if the engine can be durable it may be one best performance cars for the money .. I actually think well equipted c6 looks better then c7z .. so interior can be getting better but IMO the design Peaked at c5 Fixed roof design

Last edited by Gxpz06; 12-03-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:03 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well Mark, you didn't hurt my feelings at all - Wifey has a base C6, but the '04 Z16 car I just bought makes it look, well, frumpy. Now that I've had a few weeks with the Z06, I'm calling it a keeper - and I see why so many other folks feel the same way.

BTW, do you still have your ZR-1, and it not, where did it go?

Glenn (from the old zr1net listserver)
Old 12-04-2016, 08:45 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

C5 has a great exterior, but the interior is just junk. I'm not even talking fancy vs. plain, just the way it fits together is crap.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:27 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

the C5Z was the whole reason i wanted a corvette...the lines the hardtop and the performance in all in one package...not many cars on the market can do that for the price...the interior is perfect for me as i did not buy the C5Z for the interior i bought it to drive and enjoy it...here is mine and i think it shows the lines off the C5Z very well!

Old 12-04-2016, 07:33 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba
I agree that the C5 Z06 or FRC are classic beauties.

I have thoroughly enjoyed owning and modifying mine for the past 13 years.

I recently winter-prepped a C7 Z51 coupe for a lady whose husband passed away three years ago. After changing the oil, washing it, adding Sta-Bil to the gas tank, and filing it with gas, I took it for a short ride. The first thing I noticed was how much smaller it is in the interior than my C5. I am 6'3" tall and I could not get enough leg room and head room to be comfortable. And, there is no rear visibility.

Sorry C7 owners, but it is a loser!

Wow that is beautiful ride!!! Are those Interlago rims?
Old 12-07-2016, 12:59 PM
ZR-1 Mark
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gbrtng
Well Mark, you didn't hurt my feelings at all - Wifey has a base C6, but the '04 Z16 car I just bought makes it look, well, frumpy. Now that I've had a few weeks with the Z06, I'm calling it a keeper - and I see why so many other folks feel the same way.

BTW, do you still have your ZR-1, and it not, where did it go?

Glenn (from the old zr1net listserver)
Hi Glenn,
My last ZR-1 was a '95#390 yellow/saddle. It went to Maryland for way toooo much money some years ago. The guy is here on the Forum and also had a couple other Zr-1's. I miss the car but for me it's "the hunt" that makes all these cars fun.....Enjoy, Mr. Breiting....
Old 12-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
Wow that is beautiful ride!!! Are those Interlago rims?

No, My rims are chromed H.R.E. 893Rs.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:04 AM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

I looked really hard for a minty 2004 C5Z to build but the values are holding high here. I had a 2001 and loved the driving experience.

I ended up with a 2012 ZR1 which I absolutely adore (I do that car cover thing with it as well) but it didnt scratch my itch for another light weight canyon carver C5Z build. The cars are very different. The C5Z is very pure.

If you compare the performance figures of the C5Z on crappy good year tires to many modern cars its an absolute bargain. My Nephue just bought a new mustang GT and for the price he could have had a mint C5Z and put carbon wheels on it but these kids like all the iphone my link garbage and glowing door sills yadda blah.

One day I will add a nice 04 C5Z to the garage with a real smooth heads cam setup and some light weight wheels / sticky cup tires for those days when you just want to destroy the twisties and hear all the gravel being kicked up in the wheel wells. Such a great car for people that like to drive (not just look like they like to drive).
Old 12-08-2016, 11:31 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

There are lots and I mean lots people that don't like the Corvettes of any year , some People still think they get 15 MPH and all the people that drive them are hot Rodders and the people that drive them don't care about the planet BLAH BLAH BLAH what I am saying don't be one of them say : I per- fur the C-5 over the C-7 Corvette . I have a C-5 Z 04 and out run the C-7s another story another time .. Just saying..

Get notified of new replies

To Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings with a C6 or C7 here......

Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I had an 04 Z16 ZO6, fully built, mint condition, T-Trim with 27000 miles that I sold about 5 months ago, extremely conservatively tuned by Vengeance Motorsports at 600 WHP (the new owner has it well over 700 WHP with just an upgraded fuel system, and 100% meth tune vs a 30% blend). I purchased a bone stock sans Corsa Sport exhaust 08 3LZ ZO6, with 6200 miles, and the C6Z is better in every way, EXCEPT reliability (stupid *** head issue that I am addressing right now), gas mileage (although my C6Z gets better gas mileage than my blown C5Z did for obvious reasons), and bang for your buck. The C5Z was definitely more raw, and a lot of people prefer that feel, but it wasn't nearly as refined, and didn't handle / stop as well. Technology is a good thing. The same comparison could probably be made for the C6Z / C7Z, with the C7Z winning hands down.

Oh, and re: feelings hurt... If anyone gets their feelings hurt over someone else's opinion, they have issues.

Last edited by 95rtturbo; 12-08-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:53 PM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

I have a C5 FRC and a C7, please skip the C6 I hate them . They are different cars to be honest. I drive my C5 a lot more than the 7 for various reasons. Mostly cause its my DD. I WISH chevy made a C7 FRC!!

Different pros and cons to both, I enjoy them for different reasons. I agree with most here the C5 lines are timeless. If I could do a dash swap on a C5 to something a bit more modern I would keep only it. Oh if it didn't leak and we could find certain parts for it!! Until that happens its my DD car.

Last edited by nyciti; 12-13-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:54 AM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I did own both a C5 and C6 Z at the same time and the C5 Z roof line is unbeatable. I absolutely love the look and cockpit like appearance. But I also love the C6 Z for the wide fenders, no popup headlights, and NO ANTENNA. Not to mention the better performance in every way and comfort of the interior. I hope to have a C5 Z again someday. Added a few pics for fun.

Last edited by amlarson2001; 12-14-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings with a C6 or C7 here......