Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (LONG!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 02:48 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Default Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (LONG!)

Hmmm..... the debate has become drawn out and difficult..... and in the end I may not even have a choice or an option..... but I can't make a solid call between a 'Vert, Coupe or Z as a replacement for the current Lemon. And this is assuming that terms are favorable in the arbitration and that it is issued to me or that I can afford the difference again.

That aside, here's the deal. I filed for a replacement of the car with a comparable one. As my car was optioned in 2000 it was $50,230 after taxes and fees. Today's exact replica would cost $57,000 to $58,000 after taxes and fees and maybe more because I think the tax has gone up in Ct.

Essentially..... this means I can get the exact duplicate of my car (which I am REALLY turned off to at this point after my series of problems) or any coupe with any combo of options except the 50th Anniversary which I don't like anyway. I could also opt for a Convertible with a lot less options - just make sure of the 6-speed and polished rims. And I could even opt for a Z06 which prices out almost dead even with the duplicate of my coupe. Exactly $500 more by MSRP.... which is what will be in question in the arbitration.

So I may end up having to make a quick decision as to which route to take. I value my open top driving a LOT, but my coupe has had a lot of leaks and mounting problems and I wonder if a convertible would be better or worse off.

I still value all of them equally in my head, but I keep coming back to the Z06 for three reasons.

1 - Resale Value - if I should ever end up in the same horrific situation with my next C5, I would at least want it to hold a better perceived value on the market.

2 - Qaulity per $$$$$ - the Z06 may be priced the same as an optioned out coupe, but it has at least 30 different upgrades and differences which make it a stronger, more durable car with fewer possibilities of problems like the aforementioned leaky roof. So for the same money, you are getting a whole lot more car.

3 - When I first set out to buy what turned out to be my coupe, I had intended to go place an order for what were then the upcoming '01 Z06s to be shipping that summer/fall. I looked at a lot of C5s and realized that there is plenty of performance and fun to be had in all of them. Impulse purchase of the decade..... I decided to buy a coupe right then and enjoy and extra 6 months of C5 through the summer and not wait until the winter to get the new car..... especially since at the time I REALLY needed a daily driver "right now" since my previous car had died on me! LOL

But I am weighing many things. Open top vs hardtop, upgraded parts vs stock like my current Lemon, resale value, safety factors, liklihood of warranty problems, mpg (which is actually the same across all 3), etc.

I know it sounds like much ado about nothing. But remember when you first ordered or bought your own C5. A lot of thought went into it I'm sure! My coupe had a very specific build sheet and options.

In the end, I would of course be fine with any of the three options as a replacement to the current untrustworthy Lemon. We've taken to calling the Corvette "the Barge" now because it is falling apart and rarely moves under its own power.

But I think the choice that offers the best choice in terms of total value, not just monetary, is the Z06.

For $500 difference in price, the Z06 gets......

Higher lift camshaft yields 5% increase in airflow
Cylinder heads larger ports yield 10% increase in airflow and 10.5:1 cr
Exhaust manifold is cast iron vs stamped steel - flows more, lasts longer
Fuel economy is same as LS1 at 19/28mpg
Z06 specific MAF to help better airflow
Positive Crankcase Ventilation system is upgraded to support high lateral forces
LS6 block is refined to allow higher piston speed and higher overall rpm than the LS1.
Hollow-stem intake valves and liquid alloy exhaust valves are lightweight and help high rpm and high speed operation.
Z06 engine fuel rail covers
Driveshaft is made of a high strength aluminum alloy to better support the higher torque of the LS6
Larger, lighter, safer Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires
Improved brake rotors and calipers
Rear Axle - Z06 rear axle is strengthened for increased durability by shot-peening the ring & pinion to better withstand the torque of the Z06.
Z06 6-speed transmission has straight-cut gears and different ratios to be stronger and to support greater RPM band of the engine.
Power steering cooler prevents fluid from overheating.
Titanium exhaust system - last longer, weighs less
Transmission Temp Sensor to warn of overheating
Z06 FE4 suspension - sways bars, spring rates, and negative camber help improve traction and increase tire contact patch
Larger, lighter, and stronger Z06 rims.
Brake ducts to keep larger brakes cooler and thus safer and more effective.
Mod Red interior
Stronger upgraded clutch
Upgraded master cylinder
Upgraded slave cylinder
Alternate windshield

And it surrenders only the Sport Seats, Fog Lamps, Targa Roof, and CD Changer. Of those, the only two of any importance to me are the Sport Seats that I love and the targa roof.

To me, the Z06 is a screaming deal compared to a Coupe. Imagine what it would cost to add ALL those parts on a Z06 to a Coupe? Definitely a lot more car for the money.

Z06 makes the most sense to me. It certainly won't lack for horsepower or performance, but those have never been key to my interest in the C5. At the time I bought it, I could have bought a Viper, NSX or Porsche 911 Turbo if I really stretched it. Though that is not the case right now. The C5 was less likely to break down than the Viper, much more spacious and comfortable to drive than the NSX, and a lot cheaper to maintain and insure than the Porsche. Of course now my Coupe has proven reasons 1 and 3 wrong and I would have been better off spending the money on the expensive cars than losing it on the market! LOL
Old 09-18-2002, 05:31 AM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (Brett C5 SCCA)

whoah! Lot going on there!

You got a lemon-another coupe isn't necessarily going to be the same way, so go with the TYPE of Corvette you enjoy the most-if the wind in your face is more important than get a coupe or vert, you can always add HP. If overall handling/susp/perf is key, get a Z06.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:05 AM
IMA Z06
Instructor

Default Re: Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (levettegrl)

Very Biased Reply- Z06
Old 09-18-2002, 10:52 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Re: Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (IMA Z06)

Sounds like you answered you own question. I have a few C5's but never a vert............I think those "upgrades" on the Z06 are worth the $500, don't you? ;)
Old 09-18-2002, 11:09 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you're trying to objectify a basically subjective decision. Go with your heart. This isn't an investment, it's a car. The Z06 rocks .. that's all that matters.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:50 PM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Hummm ... tough to decide which model to pick from such a great car. I bought my Z because I already had a roadster... so when I needed a "wind in your face" kind of day I could always drive the 72 topless.

One thing I have noticed though, when a bunch of us Vette drivers get together for a cruise, I always seem more part of it in the 72 with the top down as opposed to driving the Z with the windows up and the CD blasting away.

As stated above ... if you want sheer power, performance and a car just a little different than other C5's ... you should think Z ! But, a Roadster or Coupe is still a factory hotrod so any model you pick, you will be driving America's most loved sportscar. :cheers:
Old 09-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (levettegrl)

whoah! Lot going on there!

You got a lemon-another coupe isn't necessarily going to be the same way, so go with the TYPE of Corvette you enjoy the most-if the wind in your face is more important than get a coupe or vert, you can always add HP. If overall handling/susp/perf is key, get a Z06.
I think this is the best advice.

I love the Z06 because it's a rip-snortin' muscle car that handles and brakes, but I gladly accept (and acually enjoy) that it's a bit louder, rides a bit firmer etc. Please don't decide on the Z because of all these analytical flowcharts you have made (don't worry I'm the same way) and then complain that its not refined enough... ( I hate when people do that)

MD
Old 09-19-2002, 04:02 PM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

I think you answered your own question but let me add one thing and correct a couple of points.

Many of the udpates you talk about have been retrofited to the new LS1 engines. For example, the cast iron manifolds and power steering cooler are now on all C5s. Only Z51 versions had it before. For the most part though, very good observations.

Now here is what takes the cake for me: when you factor in gearing and engine hp differences in a Z06 vs normal C5, in the first 3 gears the Z06 puts down 30% more power to the ground (if you can keep it hooked). It also weighes about 100 lbs less... Sounds like you've already done the math and know what you want deep down... :cheers:

Should I say welcome to the ranks yet? :D
Old 09-20-2002, 03:11 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (Bertrand)

Hmm, yes I think I've made the call. I aimed for a Z initially and now that I have to get rid of the coupe it is calling my name. If the current car had not been such a ringer I would right now be in the process of upgrading it. Until now the only mods have been two different sets of mufflers and !CAGS to make it more fun.

If it were still a viable vehicle it would have a set of Nittos, Eradispeeds, and eventually headers, x-pipe, intake system. That is the extent of what I had planned to do with it. The car is plenty fast already and those mods would help it edge out the other Corvettes. I wouldn't build it beyond its role as a daily driver. The Camaro is the only one I planned to go nutty with and next year I would like to think that it will see 600+ to the wheels with 14psi.

But who knows? If I get another C5 I will have to start over again. Exhaust, !CAGS, get the chromed rims, Eradispeeds, etc. This time I am not waiting for the warranty time period to expire. A lot of good it did me this 1st time around.

BTW - As Jerry said, "Go with your heart." As much as I would enjoy a Convertible, I would get much more enjoyment out of driving an FRC Z06.... even if I am going to press it into service as my daily. But what a daily! :jester
Old 09-21-2002, 01:30 AM
Aslan
Instructor

Cruise-In II Veteran

If you are thinking you'll keep your Z for the long term, you might consider getting one now, doing minor mods to it, then getting pricier mods later down the road. I have an '01 Z right now but am trading it in on an '03. I haven't really done much to it so retrofitting it to factory spec will be easy. I HAD planned to keep it long term, but it has a (oil) drinking problem and it refuses to go to AA to get treatment. My plan for my '03 Z is the same, do minor mods for the first year, Pipes, headers, Vortex, shifter, !CAGS. After a year or two, I'll have an idea if its a car I will be keeping for longer, then start scheduling the heavier modifications such as a Targa or Verte conversion... cam, diff, port or LPE. :D Then I'll have the best of both worlds... :cool: performance of a Z and the thrill of an open top. Besides, I'm one of those lucky guys that gets to finance most of the value of the car. :cry

I think the best factor should be your personal preference. The coupe and verte are fine cars with fantastic pedigree. If you want that little extra ooomph and are willing to sacrifice a few creature comforts, go with the Z. Most of us in this forum will say Z06 all the way, but then again there are a lot of us that modify them even more. I'd like to see a percentage of all the corvette owners that leave them bone stock... there's nothing wrong with it, just preference.

-Alex

[Modified by Aslan, 11:31 PM 9/20/2002]
Old 09-24-2002, 05:02 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (Aslan)

And my choice would be the V____E! You can have enjoyment and speed with a few minor changes!

Old 09-24-2002, 01:22 PM
99MdGts
Advanced

debated many of the same choices..
my .02 - coulda had... vette or Viper .
did... get - bought Viper GTS.
Have had zero problems - other than the permanent smile.
Best ride I ever bought.
Go For it !

[Modified by 99MdGts, 5:27 PM 9/24/2002]
Old 09-26-2002, 01:44 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (99MdGts)

stock 450hp - that's a nice quote. LOL

Doesn't take much with those things. Grab a set of headers and cat-back and get that air/fuel adjuster that I think Sean Rowe puts out..... instant 510hp+. Not bad!

I was seriously looking at G2 Vipers for a while - it'd be a lot of fun. And there are PLENTY of them for sale and at good prices, too! The cockpits on those are awesome and I could insure one for the same as a new Z06, surprisingly.

BUT, comparing one of those and a Z06 for use as a daily brought the C5 out on top for me. If I got either one it wouldn't be modded very much, if at all, same as the current one.

I think that some day I will get a 97-01 GTS, but not right now. Need better fuel economy and something that will fit in a little easier at work. Corvette is less of a target.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

Funny, I looked at a couple of these just yesterday at the local Dodge dealer. But they want some serious coin for them (at least for me); around $72K for a GTS 'final edition' and $87K for an ACR GTS fully loaded.

I asked about used and they said they didn't have any in house now but could get me a 99 GTS with only 7000 miles in the low 60s. They are some kick azz cars but there is now way I'm buying a used one for the low sixties when you can get a new Z06 for 48-50 and send it to LPE for a supercharger for around 8K. You end up with a stronger car that is new and reliable, although less exotic. The GTS is definitely visceral and exotic in a way the Z06 will never touch (without a 427 engine under the hood). Either way, you can't go wrong with :flag :flag :flag thunder!
Old 10-01-2002, 08:08 PM
IceDragon
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd go for the Zo6, of course I am biased, as I just ordered my 03 Z yesterday!!!!!!!!!!

Rich
Old 10-02-2002, 04:58 AM
Fast Lane
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

:cheers: Glad you are still Vette friendly after your bad experience. I recently traded MY 2001 Z51 MN6 dual roof coupe which never returned to the dealer for any reason for a 2002 Z06. While I was doing the deal I couldn't believe that I was trading the best car I've ever owned for another Vette. Taking the test drive confirmed that I was making the right decision and now I'm sure I made the right decision. Looking back it's a no brainer. I have to admit that I do miss the sport seats on a long trip but that's all. Maybe I'll check the parts for sale section for some seats someday. :cheers:
Old 10-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (Fast Lane)

Bertrand - I used to frequent the main viper board..... forgot the link.... ViperXXX.com Forgot what the last 3 letters were. In any case, they have a great for sale section for the cars.

If you're looking, definitely buy privately. I found some SCREAMING deals. One local guy w/ a red 98 GTS w/ 3000 miles wanted 46k. Another guy with 300 original in FL was looking for 52k. I am a sucker for the 96 & 97 (preferably 97) Blue/white GTS. They can be found relatively cheaply too. Found one with headers, cat-back, carbon-fiber intake, 6-pt belts and cams for 54k. I think it had 8,000 miles. Given the cost of everything on those cars..... kind of worth it. Exhaust alone can be 6k.

Cool thing w/ the GTS and later RT/10s w/ the upgraded engine is that a simple blower kit with adequate fueling will get you in the 800hp range. Of course, most guys actually shell out $18,000 to $23,000 for a blower kit for those cars....... I would have bought the parts and done it myself for $3000 max! LOL There are even fewer guys over there who work on their cars than over here. Ah well, maybe I'll get one someday. Same way I might get a HMMWV some day.

Fast Lane - wow, NO service issues! That must be awesome. I remember how it was when my car was new. I had service issues, but for the first 2-3 months they were few/far between and generally for small things. That summer was GREAT! All the enjoyment of my first NEW car and my first Corvette. Intoxicating! Hopefully justice will see fit to deliver me from my plagued vehicle.

You'd think that after 2+ years and 7 or 8 services that a dealership could maybe FINALLY stop the rear from leaking? I think I might just have a porous casing, because the car got all-new seals and it hasn't been driven almost at all in the past two months...... but its still seeping out from somewhere. That'll play nicely to the Lemon Law arbitrator I hope!
:chevy :smash: :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (LONG!)

Old 10-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Fast Lane.... one more thing......

About the seats, if you really want to swap to Sports you could advertise a trade. I'm sure someone somewhere would JUMP at the chance to get Z06 seats for their C5, especially for a Z06 wanna-be C5. Then you get the seats and you can then sell the seat covers and buy the Z06 skins for the Sport Seat. I've seen them in Mid America and other Corvette parts and enthusiast rags/catalogues.

I'll bet if you figured out the cost beforehand you could probably trade off and get the whole thing done for less than $200. In case you haven't guessed, I've already thought of doing the same should I get a Z06 in the future. :lol: :jester
Old 10-03-2002, 05:15 PM
kwillmorth
Racer

I don't understand the debate on some levels.

If you never intend to run the car on a track, or drag race it under timers, or enter driving schools, or an auto-cross... then why consider the ZO6? The car is pretty specific about its purpose. The Coupe and Vert are nicer cars overall, when the performance needs are less than priority one.

If you want good looks, solid performance, a nice ride, some wind in the hair when its sunny and nice, and just like to cruise, even drive it hard, but not really get on the edge, then the ZO6 is not going to get you where you want.

If the top down means anything, the ZO6 is out.

The ZO6 is an extreme car in ride, handling, and noise. It also has a fixed roof. It also lacks the run-flats, which means no safety net on long casual hauls with the cuty in the other seat.

Forget the prices for a moment, set out exactly what your are looking for and buy the one that fits that profile best. In the three reasons you offered for buying the ZO6 (resale, quality, previous lust, mileage), you did not include any of the values the car actually brings to the table over the other C5's - which are all performance based - which indicates you may be looking at it for the wrong reasons? All C5's have decent resale, they are equal in quality, and an optioned C5 coupe can be a sweet ride in anybody's lust book. None of these are ZO6 exclusives.

I suggest you not worry so much about stuff that is not directly related to your digging the car when behind the wheel, driving it the way you want to drive it. Make the choice of the car that hits the marks you want of it as a car. Let the rest of the picture follow that. They all loose money, they all have warranty issues at times, and they all get old and tired if you use them well. That's the way it's supossed to work.

An impressive option/accessories list is nice brochure fodder, but doesn't mean anything if you never intend to put the parts to work.

:cheers:
Old 10-03-2002, 08:28 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

First off, no Vette is more reliable than another. Sorry to hear of your lemon...it is the exception, however.

I love the Z06 because it is one bad-butt looking hot rod, and it happens to get around a track about as fast as anything else you can get. Make mine black/black with a tinted backlite.

The problem I have, is the roof. I live in SoCal and my coupe's roof is out 70% of the time. I just plain love it. Other Coupe owners I speak with either share my passion or have hardly ever removed it. I also know that the Coupe will be damn close with a set of 4:10s on it and some decent shocks, bars, and tires. I like to go on vacation drives to the many Natl. Parks out here, and runflats seem like a good idea for such trips. I have race wheels and tires that I use when I want that feel. The point is, think realistically about how you really use the car and decide.

I will face the same choice as you next April, minus the 'Vert. And a Coupe with 4:10s vs a Z will be a very tough choice. I may fall for the Z, just so I can say I had one. Lately, I have been thinking about 4:10s in the Z... :eek:

Quick Reply: [Z06] Debating......... 'Vert, Coupe, or Z06? (LONG!)