Sponsored by:

[Z06] G5X1E cam for daily driver suggestions/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:20 PM
harryk387
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts
Default G5X1E cam for daily driver suggestions/opinions

I want to hear thoughts on the cam package I am highly considering. My 04 z06 is my daily driver and it's currently got a vararam intake and MGW short shifter with Antivenom mod. I also have a pair of LG Super Pros long tube headers on the way to be installed when they arrive.

I've also been researching cams and decided on the following for best power increase while keeping close to stock driveability:

LG G5X1E Cam
Comp 921 Valve spring kit (retainers, seats and seals)
Ported LS6 Oil pump
7.4" TSP Chromoly Push Rods
Camshaft Install Kit from Brian Tooley (ARP CRANKSHAFT DAMPER BOLT FOR LS ENGINES 234-2503, Gasket Set, ARP CAM BOLTS FOR 3 BOLT LS CAMS 134-1003, KATECH C5-R TIMING CHAIN FOR GEN III/IV LSX HME-G68V-2)
Maybe: Port/Polish stock LS6 heads (recommended?)

Anything else I'll need for the upgraded cam install that you guys would recommend?

Also, the Comp 921 valvesprings are almost double the cost of other dual springs, are they worth the extra $$ or are there comparable, less expensive alternatives.

Last edited by harryk387; 11-26-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:43 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I would consider a clutch, as I don't think it will last long and will stick to the floor in some cases.

A Katech belt tensioner is optional, but good if you will run higher revs.

The most important aspect of all of this is how good the tune is. Make sure you find someone that will take the time to do it right, will street tune it along with the dyno.

I wouldn't do the heads, but that is me. If am going to pay to have heads removed, then I am buying aftermarket heads.

Last edited by Water_Walker; 11-26-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:06 AM
harryk387
Racer

Originally Posted by Water_Walker
I would consider a clutch, as I don't think it will last long and will stick to the floor in some cases.

A Katech belt tensioner is optional, but good if you will run higher revs.

The most important aspect of all of this is how good the tune is. Make sure you find someone that will take the time to do it right, will street tune it along with the dyno.

I wouldn't do the heads, but that is me. If am going to pay to have heads removed, then I am buying aftermarket heads.
I have been considering a good twin disk clutch

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/rps-st...on-clutch.html

I had this one bookmarked, would I need something as beefy as that or would I be able to get away with something a little less?
Old 11-27-2016, 06:36 AM
WayneCar
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds great. Check out the posts and webpage of Forum
member Toque if you have not done so. He had a build that
used that cam and really developed a great street package.
Good luck to you,
Wayne
Old 11-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I think that clutch is fine and it has lots of fans. I personally am a fan of the Mantic clutches. I am at 611/532 to the wheels and have a single Mantic that works flawlessly. Exactly like stock clutch feel after it broke in a bit.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:28 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Note on polishing your heads. The LS-6 "cathedral port" heads are old tech. That is, the newer LS-3 heads flow much better than any LS-6 "cathedral port" heads, so don't waste your money porting stock ones, but use your money for "better" heads.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:48 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Note on polishing your heads. The LS-6 "cathedral port" heads are old tech. That is, the newer LS-3 heads flow much better than any LS-6 "cathedral port" heads, so don't waste your money porting stock ones, but use your money for "better" heads.
Well, you have to get small bore LS3 heads, and an LS3 intake, etc., so for less money you can easily beat their performance with a good Tooley CNC, and make sure you shave the heads a little for more compression. About 60cc chambers is a nice sweet spot. Good cam choice, and good clutch (it's what I have) but kind of spendy for stock block NA, Lots of less $$$ choices that're more street friendly. Good tune, good tune, and, good tune. If budget permits, a ported FAST is a great addition, and if you're patient, you should be able to get one used. More on budget; allow some $$ for an ECS trans brace, or your diff. is in danger. I also ran a UD pulley, and a Meziere EWP, catch can, and extra crankcase venting with good results.

Last edited by zeevette; 11-27-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:31 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Great thing about the G5X1E is that you can add blower w that cam.... It's pretty stout w some decent heads...
Old 11-29-2016, 02:02 PM
harryk387
Racer

Decided to go ahead and buy a bunch of parts with all the sales going on right now (told myself I would wait until I got my long tube headers installed to see how I like the power increase but couldnt wait)

Anyway, I bought the G5X1E cam, comp 921 valve springs, TSP 7.4" chromoly rods, C5R timing chain, Brian Tooley Camshaft install kit with AFR bolts, Melling High Pressure oil pump, and new spark plugs/wires.

I also purchased a Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder since it was on sale.

Anything else I need or is recommended with cam upgrade?

Last edited by harryk387; 11-29-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:30 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by harryk387
Decided to go ahead and buy a bunch of parts with all the sales going on right now (told myself I would wait until I got my long tube headers installed to see how I like the power increase but couldnt wait)

Anyway, I bought the G5X1E cam, comp 921 valve springs, TSP 7.4" chromoly rods, C5R timing chain, Brian Tooley Camshaft install kit with AFR bolts, Melling High Pressure oil pump, and new spark plugs/wires.

I also purchased a Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder since it was on sale.

Anything else I need or is recommended with cam upgrade?

Since you got the Tick, I'd stay away from the RPS twin. The combo is not driver friendly, having about a 1/8" engagement window. Tick does sell one with a smaller bore that's supposed to be much better.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:17 PM
harryk387
Racer

Originally Posted by zeevette
Since you got the Tick, I'd stay away from the RPS twin. The combo is not driver friendly, having about a 1/8" engagement window. Tick does sell one with a smaller bore that's supposed to be much better.
What clutch do you suggest I go with paired with the Tick Adjustable that would be more daily driver friendly?

I had the adjustable tick in my 04 GTO with SPEC Stage 1 Clutch and it was definitely stiffer than stock, but I got used to it and was daily driveable.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:34 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I am running the Mcleod RXT... its a great clutch! May be overkill for your ride... Mantic is also a good clutch.. Cannot go wrong with either.

Get notified of new replies

To G5X1E cam for daily driver suggestions/opinions

Quick Reply: [Z06] G5X1E cam for daily driver suggestions/opinions