Sponsored by:

[Z06] I'm planning a winter build project suggestions/advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:00 AM
bob22z06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I'm planning a winter build project suggestions/advice needed

Hi guys!..sorry for the long post.. I've been wanting to do this for a while ....just due to personal different things i couldn't make it happen...so i decided this has to be done this winter ...when i did my research while back i remembered what i needed since time past im sure theres new things that you guys suggest on what to use and not to use...Ill start with the current car set up: 01 Z06 I have 30k on the clock ,black wing intake , LG super pros headers x pipe no cats and b&b cat back , new wires and TR55 plugs no tune...car has some oil consumption i add once in a while...
So what i want to do is a cam set up with supporting mods ....I want to have good street maners and have the power and torque through all rpms ...I thought about opening up the engine (by removing the heads ) to re ring ,to fix my oil consumption what you guys? think is it worth it? If i do that , while my heads are off should I port and polish the heads? Or is it a waste of money and time? Since most of this work ill be doing it myself for this build...I know after all of that tune is most important thing. I have one shop here localy called "shortuning" thats where im planning to take the car...Im all open to suggestions and your experiences ...i want to have a list of parts and tools put together so I can do this right .thanks in advance
Old 11-30-2016, 09:21 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

New valve springs for sure.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 11-30-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:15 AM
bob22z06
Pro

Yes...definitely...I remember when i was talking to that tuner some time back he told me what he had just don't remember which one if its doube or single i know he was giving me good deal on a custom grind cam
Old 11-30-2016, 02:48 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

James Short is a good tuner.

Call Brian Tooley for a cam and spring package. He can do your heads too if you'd like. He's in Bardstown, KY.
Brian Tooley Racing.

Have fun with your project!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:23 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 223 Posts

Yep Brian is the man , built my 04 LS-6 last winter with his help saved big money and wow runs great .. 525 FWHP drive anywhere not 7-800HP like some say they have ,just a fun ride .. I did my own heads just cleaned up the intakes ( Just clean them up DO NOT CHANGE THE SHAPE of the intake ports. ) and opened up the exhaust some took three full days 8HR days but was well worth it .
Old 11-30-2016, 05:13 PM
bob22z06
Pro

Wow..how i didn't know about Brian ..I seen everyone talks about him ....Bardstown lke 35 min drive from my house...I will definitely give him a call
Old 12-09-2016, 12:38 AM
bob22z06
Pro

Small update talked to the guy from BTR got a quote for LS stage 3 cam and 1x.660'' lift platinum spring kit with titanium retainers, 1x BTR 7.400" long pushrods, melling standard volume high pressure oil pump and gasket kit and chevy preformance heavy duty timing chain...all for around $900 and some change ...And also I got my answer from the tuner about what it would take to do CNC on the heads he recommended if i wanted to do a stage 1 CNC job from TAE . And on average that will cost another grand ...
What your guys take on that shuld i do anything to the heads ? Will I gain more hp with ported heads ? How much more?
Old 12-09-2016, 04:25 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Got to do the heads . Let the motor breath ,I say shot in the dark home job 25-+ Hp CC 40 Hp . Its not really all about Hp with the ported heads (well a little) with good air flow will maintain power peak over non ported heads .. There is big difference for sure .. My LS-6 picks out around 6800 RPM and will stay there till it blows and the hp will not fall off .. That's the ported heads doing that .. I did my own cc way better but not cheap cost me about $40.00 and 3 days work .. Not hard to do Utube , I been porting for years .. Would not build a hot rod motor with out ported heads ..
Old 12-09-2016, 04:50 PM
bob22z06
Pro

Originally Posted by radar502
Got to do the heads . Let the motor breath ,I say shot in the dark home job 25-+ Hp CC 40 Hp . Its not really all about Hp with the ported heads (well a little) with good air flow will maintain power peak over non ported heads .. There is big difference for sure .. My LS-6 picks out around 6800 RPM and will stay there till it blows and the hp will not fall off .. That's the ported heads doing that .. I did my own cc way better but not cheap cost me about $40.00 and 3 days work .. Not hard to do Utube , I been porting for years .. Would not build a hot rod motor with out ported heads ..
That's what I though I would love to do that ....$40 thats cheap ...ive seen some vids before how its done ..I might have to do more research...what tools did you use ? Did you use the honing kit they sell?
Old 12-10-2016, 12:54 PM
radar502
Safety Car

I have all the other stuff grinders ETC. I got my kit from Eastwood $40.00 ( on the net ) have to get two long shaft Alum. grinding burs . Went down to the local pawn shop ( I'm cheap ) got long nose grinder ,kit from east wood two Alum. long shaft burs . I use WD40 to spray on the burs two keep the Alum. from clogging up the burs . When you use the sand paper make sure the head is dry the paper will last longer.. NEVER change the shape of the LS-S intake port GM spent years engineering the shape just clean them up , the exhaust open them up get the gas out .. Put valves in in head if cleaning up the combustion chambers DO NOT WANT TO MESS UP VALVE SET never. Not really that big a deal some say o-no you can't do that need to send the heads off BLAH BLAH . Go on the inter net and see how people do this and go over it till you got it .take your time you will get dirty real dirty . If going to be a motor builder be a motor builder . 440 RWHP on LMR rollers cam headers and ported heads 230/236 595/595 112+4 Comp. cam power peaks at 6800 and dose not drop wound it to 7500 no drop off . I could got more but for $1500 parts from BT and a little work 440 RWHP my happy drive anywhere..
Old 12-10-2016, 06:28 PM
bob22z06
Pro

I with you on that...did some research yesterday ...I liked one video from "streetkillz video chronicles " some tutorial on ls heads learned some good points about them and how to and what not to port...Seems easy enough ...now I got to get some tools together im sure ill find something i got pawn shops here on every corner plus i got bunch of power tools that i use for work...
so how about a manual on how to change cam and all the torque spects is there a pdf file that someone used it before...
Old 12-11-2016, 06:18 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Manual right NOT . I looked for the info I used I guess its gone ?? well Like everything else its on the net . There are lots of good wright ups on how to do it and there is more that one . Just inter cam install C-5 LS whatever and bam something will come up look at 2-3 before even thinking about doing this not really that hard to do as far as torque same just put in C-5 Corvette torque specs and bam there it is .. One thing have to keep in mind if the Tq is 7in Lbs that is what it is no I think that will do BS ,will need a inch LB torque wrench and Ft. Lb. one also .. The torque has to be right no guess no that will do BS are you'll have a mess.. All ALUM. easy to strip out .. Sounds like you really wanting to do it right so that being said give me a call 281-969-5664 might have to leave a message and # call you back and give you some in and out on this cam install ..
Old 12-11-2016, 06:23 PM
radar502
Safety Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm-U...ature=youtu.be This is my 04 Z-16 440 RWHP did it last year .It has been on 2000 mile round trip runs very good NO prop. no leaks no nuton just hauls no traction LOL . I did heads I did it all .
Old 12-11-2016, 11:14 PM
bob22z06
Pro

Originally Posted by radar502
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm-U...ature=youtu.be This is my 04 Z-16 440 RWHP did it last year .It has been on 2000 mile round trip runs very good NO prop. no leaks no nuton just hauls no traction LOL . I did heads I did it all .

bob22z06 , Today 11:08 PM
Awesome...thanks..ill definitely hit you up for sure will need all the help I can get ..i watched the videos your car sounds sick !...Im with you on traction part ...my car with few bolt ons when I punch it loses traction lo​​​​l....I found a flexible shaft grinder on amazon for like $87 with good reviews i think that will be a good tool to have with this project...just have to do more research on what type burrs to use

Get notified of new replies

To I'm planning a winter build project suggestions/advice needed

Quick Reply: [Z06] I'm planning a winter build project suggestions/advice needed