Sponsored by:

[Z06] New Z06 Owner Introduction and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Z.youngg85@gmail.com
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Z06 Owner Introduction and Questions

Just purchased a 2003 MY Z06 and glad to be a part of the forum. Been wanting one for years and finally decided to pull the trigger. 24k original miles and looks basically brand new inside and out.

Car has Kooks 1 7/8 headers, Texas Speed Magic Stick 4 Cam Package and Callaway Intake tuned by RPM in NC. 433rwhp 400rwtq. Lowered on eibach bolts, leave in jacking pucks, stock titanium cat back.

So far only thing I am changing is taking off the offroad x pipe and going to a high flow catted to pass inspection and hopefully cut down the exhaust smell a bit. Not sure what other mods would be worth doing without going into the heads.

Plan on doing some basic c5 additions like the Fangs to protect the front supports, Rear Partition, Cargo Mat, rocker protectors etc.

Only issue I noticed was stock shifter seems like a very long throw and the car doesnt like hard shifts into second above 5500 rpm. I get a slight grind if im driving hard shifting into second between 5500 to 6500 rpm. I replaced the clutch fluid until it was crystal clear. Car still has stock clutch but the master cylinder was replaced under warranty to an updated unit in the past. There is no slipping at all and driving normally everything is butter smooth. Reading through the forum sounds like this could be anything from a weak synchro or blocker ring or because of the stock clutch and master needing to go to something like a Tick unit and a Spec or Textralia. As far as shifter I see the MGW is a favorite and i really like the old school look of the Core shifter with the chrome handle and ball.

Any comments or advice would be great.

Going to split my daily driving between the vette, gsxr and lexus.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Scotty_Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

welcome and clean looking car
Old 12-05-2016, 08:39 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Also love the Core shifter look. Might go for one myself. Nice looking car. Yellow is growing on me.

Stock cut down shifter with Twistedshifterz ****.

Last edited by grantv; 12-05-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:15 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats and welcome aboard! Your car is basically identical power to mine. Super fun on the street. Not sure how u drive but for me the best mod I have done is getting rid of the stock seats. Went with corbeau micro suede A4's and love them. A shifter really improves the drive quality too. I remember when I first got my z 7 years ago I drove a lot of back roads with it. Active handling saved my butt a few times. Leave it on! I only turn AH off when at an autocross or road course. I have had my trans out 4 times and on my 2nd clutch. I've broken a few blocker rings, Had a mantic er2 clutch hated it, pulled it for a rps carbon twin and love it!

Last edited by MX621; 12-05-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Z.youngg85@gmail.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by grantv
Also love the Core shifter look. Might go for one myself. Nice looking car. Yellow is growing on me.

Stock cut down shifter with Twistedshifterz ****.
Loved the Core shifter before I read user reviews about noise and rattling at anything over half throttle. Damn shame because it's the best looking one on the market. Seems MGW is the way to go for overall quality.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Z.youngg85@gmail.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by MX621
Congrats and welcome aboard! Your car is basically identical power to mine. Super fun on the street. Not sure how u drive but for me the best mod I have done is getting rid of the stock seats. Went with corbeau micro suede A4's and love them. A shifter really improves the drive quality too. I remember when I first got my z 7 years ago I drove a lot of back roads with it. Active handling saved my butt a few times. Leave it on! I only turn AH off when at an autocross or road course. I have had my trans out 4 times and on my 2nd clutch. I've broken a few blocker rings, Had a mantic er2 clutch hated it, pulled it for a rps carbon twin and love it!
Yes it's plenty of power for the street. I have the car in Competition Mode which seems to be the most fun so far by turning off the traction control but leaving the active handling on. Which shifter are you using on your car? Sounds like you drive it how it's meant to be if you've had the tranny out 4 times lol. With only 24k miles on her and the mild 2ND gear grind under hard driving I'll leave the transmission alone until it's time for a clutch then I'll look into doing one of the RPM level 4/5 rebuilds. I eventually want to do a Maggie Roots Blower to bring some torque back in the lower revs. This cam pulls like a freight train from 3k to 7k but under that it drives like a big cam.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:11 AM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Congrats on your new Z! Looks great!

Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 12-06-2016, 08:44 AM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z.youngg85@gmail.com
Yes it's plenty of power for the street. I have the car in Competition Mode which seems to be the most fun so far by turning off the traction control but leaving the active handling on. Which shifter are you using on your car? Sounds like you drive it how it's meant to be if you've had the tranny out 4 times lol. With only 24k miles on her and the mild 2ND gear grind under hard driving I'll leave the transmission alone until it's time for a clutch then I'll look into doing one of the RPM level 4/5 rebuilds. I eventually want to do a Maggie Roots Blower to bring some torque back in the lower revs. This cam pulls like a freight train from 3k to 7k but under that it drives like a big cam.
when playing around/straight line stuff comp mode is deff the mode to be in. I have a b&m sport shifter with a mgw race ****. It's ok. I really wanna try a mgw one day. First time trans broke was due to clutch pedal sticking. Then hydro issues, and maybe me being a little to aggressive. Trans does have the rkt56 build with rpm billet extreme duty blocker rings. Rpm does not make them anymore. Since that and the rps clutch it's been perfect. I would suggest changing the cam vs using a roots blower to compensate. That's a pretty big cam u have and you are deff giving up power down low for up top gains. My cam is a good bit smaller that doesn't really give up power down low. If a blower is in your future look into a centri blower, A&A, ecs, etc. roots blowers are not real popular for a reason, besides oem.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Z.youngg85@gmail.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by MX621
when playing around/straight line stuff comp mode is deff the mode to be in. I have a b&m sport shifter with a mgw race ****. It's ok. I really wanna try a mgw one day. First time trans broke was due to clutch pedal sticking. Then hydro issues, and maybe me being a little to aggressive. Trans does have the rkt56 build with rpm billet extreme duty blocker rings. Rpm does not make them anymore. Since that and the rps clutch it's been perfect. I would suggest changing the cam vs using a roots blower to compensate. That's a pretty big cam u have and you are deff giving up power down low for up top gains. My cam is a good bit smaller that doesn't really give up power down low. If a blower is in your future look into a centri blower, A&A, ecs, etc. roots blowers are not real popular for a reason, besides oem.
Wonder why RPM stopped making those blocker rings? Seems like that would be an important part of any heavy duty build.

Ive had centrifugal blowers but I like the roots type for normal street driving and everyday use. I saw numbers where someone used the ms4 cam with a Maggie and put down 575rwhp and 500tq and the car made power from idle to 7k. Sounds like a fun combo. But that's for way down the road. I'd want to do trans, clutch, rear diff first to make a solid foundation for boost.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:39 AM
MX621
Burning Brakes

A few months ago I asked Jeremy @ rpmtransmission if they still made the extreme duty blocker rings and he told me no. Not sure why. As a 600$ option maybe they didn't sell many??
Old 12-06-2016, 01:32 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

I just saw on rkt56 Instagram he is offering similar extreme blocker rings now. Funny timing.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome from the LS430 forums

Keep doing the ranger method with the fluid as much as weekly (depending on how much you drive). Sucks that there isn't a clutch pickup bolt to adjust on these cars.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:28 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Congrats on the new Vette!

Whereabouts in NC are you? Greensboro here. A friend had his camaro tuned by rpm and that tune was spot on, much better than my tune from mayhem motorsports in Raleigh.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Z.youngg85@gmail.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
Welcome from the LS430 forums

Keep doing the ranger method with the fluid as much as weekly (depending on how much you drive). Sucks that there isn't a clutch pickup bolt to adjust on these cars.
Thank you. Seems to be a few of us ClubLexus folk on here lol.

Yea my fluid is crystal clear after a few drives and I cleaned and Q tipped every speck of black from the reservoir. Also did the brake fluid out the Ls430 using the same method
Old 12-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Z.youngg85@gmail.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Congrats on the new Vette!

Whereabouts in NC are you? Greensboro here. A friend had his camaro tuned by rpm and that tune was spot on, much better than my tune from mayhem motorsports in Raleigh.
Right outside of myrtle beach. Yes the tune seems to be very spot on. Its pretty mild mannered for having such a huge cam and runs like a raped ape.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:52 PM
ZR-1 Mark
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Welcome to the Forum

Welcome, and a C5 Z06 in the best color too !!!

Enjoy,
Mark
Old 12-07-2016, 02:07 PM
furious427
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 319 Posts

Welcome to the forume, I have the same car, color and power as you, fun car!!!

Get notified of new replies

To New Z06 Owner Introduction and Questions

Old 12-07-2016, 04:29 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Welcome to the Z06 club!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:51 PM
Z.youngg85@gmail.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by furious465
Welcome to the forume, I have the same car, color and power as you, fun car!!!
Very cool. what is your combo on your car consist of?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:17 AM
furious427
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Z.youngg85@gmail.com
Very cool. what is your combo on your car consist of?
As far as power mods I have kooks headers and x-pipe, streetsweeper ht cam and supporting valve train mods, varraram, and a tune.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Z06 Owner Introduction and Questions