Sponsored by:

[Z06] '03 C5Z Amsoil tranny & diff swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:05 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Default '03 C5Z Amsoil tranny & diff swap

My C5Z had 30,500 miles on it w/ about 17k on the GM spec dexron fluids that I swapped out, the mileage was over the span of 3 years. The car also has intake/headers & MGW shifter.

I knew my diff fluid needed changing as I've had other RWD cars w/ limited slip diffs & once I felt it bucking/chattering during low speed tight radius turns it was time. I was also having some extra notchiness/difficulty getting into 1st @ times particularly when cold, 2nd was developing a slight occasional grind, & sometimes 6th was more difficult than it should be (I do know it helps to be going @ least 70 when engaging 6th).

Bottom line is the Amsoil Torque drive ATF & 75w90 Sever gear diff fluid immediately eliminated all my issues & after some figure 8's & about 60 miles the car feels awesome, shifts are smoother more positive & precise & I dunno if it may just be the cold December air but I swear it felt more powerful....I think judging from the look/smell of the diff fluid it was definitely doing a better job of putting the power to the ground. You can see from the pics, the tranny fluid was barely red & the diff fluid black w/ milkiness.

I am a believer in Amsoil products now & will definitely be using them again, well worth the money IMO. I'd say the diff took about 90% of the 2 quart bottles I ordered & the tranny about 80-85% of the gallon of fluid (the used tranny fluid looks like less in the windshield washer bottle but I spilled some by accident)
Attached Images     

Last edited by C5Dobie; 12-09-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:01 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

I changed my trans/diff fluid to M1 when I got it 12k miles ago, I have heard good things about Amsoil and was thinking of switching too it, thanks for the feedback. And yes, the ls6 loves cold dense Dec air, my NT05's...not so much!
Old 12-09-2016, 05:01 PM
bob22z06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Im thinking of trying out the amsoil too...im on.M1 in the tranny and i think royal purple in the diff...i do get the grinding some times when down shifting from 5th to 4th under load ....

Get notified of new replies

To '03 C5Z Amsoil tranny & diff swap

Quick Reply: [Z06] '03 C5Z Amsoil tranny & diff swap